Air Con

r.j.s

Hi Guys

I have had a search and cannot find this problem, it may be i am searching under the wrong terms, so if I am please suggest topics.

I have a 54 plate Ibiza, I have just come home from uni to find that when you turn the climate control onto fan speed 1 or 2 the unit will not work and the air con light doesnt light up even when pressed. When you turn the dial to 3 or 4 the climate control works however it comes on at full speed eg 3 is setting 3 not setting 1 (ef the dials ahve not been misattached or slipped) so thefan speed it quite fast. The two lower speeds dont seem to work and the whole unit appears to still be off when fan speed 1 or 2 is selected.

Any help would be appreciated. If I have no explained this that well I can try to explain it again.

r.j.s

would it be worth removing the control unit and testing the outputs in some form? If so does anyone have a pinout wiring diagram?

Mar 16, 2008
Wiltshire / Bristol
Here is the wiring diagram for the fan, fan resistor box and switch;

49_2.jpg

Its fairly easy to follow even if you arnt that clued up about electronics. I would start by finding the correct wires and then testing them to see if you get the correct voltage on them over various speeds as shown on the switch.

method;

1) Remove the central pannel and heater/ac pannel so you have acces to the wores at the back. Dont disconnect them

2) Locate the wires which run from the switch unit to the resistor pack (by colour as shown on the wiring diagram)

3) Check the voltages on each of the wires as you start from switch position 0 to position 4.

a) position 0 there should be no voltage on any wire
b) Position 1 you should find 12V on wire 2 as shown on the resistor pack on the diagram (green). there will be a voltage on the others, but should be less
c) Position 2 you should find 12V on wire 3 as shown on the resistor pack on the diagram (black). Again, there will be a voltage on the others, but should be less
d) Position 3 you should find 12V on wire 1 (blue). There will be a voltage on the others, but should be less
e) Position 4 you should find 12V on wire 4 (red). There will be a voltage on the others, but should be less.

If the above does not occour, there is a problem with the switch.

4) If above is fine; check the voltage accross the fan motor by connecting a volt meter onto each terminal of it. Cycle through each position of the switch again, starting at 0. You should find the voltage increases each time untill position 4, when it should read 12V (to 14.2V).

If not, the resistor pack has gone.

5) If all of that is fine, chances are its the motor that has gone.

Hope that helps, and is not too much info. Let us know how you get on!

Also, thanks to fl@pper who provided the diagram in the first place :)

r.j.s

Climate control

Pictures of control unit and help neded:
add http :// to web address below it wont let me post hyperlinks :(
img32.imageshack.us/i/dsc00150tlv.jpg/
img44.imageshack.us/i/dsc00151f.jpg

I have tried having it all apart today to test the cables as suggested however I got it all in pieces to find that i could not work out how to get the two sets of cables disconnected from the air con control unit. See pics I figure i need one of these disconnected to do a voltage check on the outputs. Is one input and one output or is one fan and the other temperature?

I can get the top connector off which appears to be power as when this is disconnected nothing works! it is 5 pins in a straight line.

Again any help is appreciated.

Mar 16, 2008
Wiltshire / Bristol
You should find that you are able to disconnect then by pressing the bottom part of the connector and pulling them out. However, im not sure that you want to do that in this case, as disconnecting the connector may interfere with the opperation of the unit. If you can, place a voltmeter probe in the back of the terminal of the wire you wish to test, it should make contact. then attach the negative lead to the 0V wire in the top plug (white with purple stripe) and this should allow you to test the output voltages from each of the 4 wires as I said in the post above. Hope this makes sense. If not or you need any more help, just ask :)

r.j.s

sorry for such a delay, the readings from control unit were all ok, so I decided to send it to main dealers. They had a look and said it was a resistor which they at first believed to be behind the glove box, 3 hours late i got a call stating they had some bad news its actually behiund the dash and would need a minimum of 6 hours labour plus parts @ £82. Theirefore decided we can live with it unless I can find an independent to do it. Is their any easy way to get to these resistors without removing the dash.

Cheers

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.