Itchy feet? Considering not getting the cupra!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Could just be itchy feet, but I've been wondering if I should just go for the FR (TDI) instead of the Cupra.

I've been living without the R for nearly a year now and I miss it, yes, but I've been surviving with the GTI ok and can't say I've missed the running costs of the R.

It's been nice not worrying about where I park, cleaning it every week, insurance costs, tyres etc. etc.

The new car will be our main car so wifey will be using it to transport the little fella around as well. Just wondering if an FR would fit the bill better.

I could order the FR pretty shortly and by the time it arrived would have enough money without having to take a loan (going by the deals I've been hearing about on here). If I wait for the Cupra (by price guesstimation) I will need a loan of between 3 and 4K. Which wouldn't be the end of the world as I would look to pay it off within a year and I'm already putting £400-£500 a month aside towards the car.

With an Fr we would be more comfortable financially - cheaper running costs - to have wifey on the insurance would be cheaper etc. I don't do masses of miles 10k to 12k per year, however I've started up a business with some colleagues of mine on the side and if it takes off, possibly a year or two down the line it could mean I'd be on the road a lot more meeting clients.

I'm just airing my thoughts really, I know it's my decision at the end of the day.

I have this horrible feeling though I'll get the FR, the Cupra will come out and I'll regret it...... :rolleyes:

Was chatting to Z about it last night. I know the sensible thing is to wait for the Cupra's pricing to be revealed, but even that aside, I'm wondering if it would be better in the long term. :think:

Scott

andih98uk

Hang Fire till you've driven the Cupra, you can always get the FR after you've driven the Cupra if you're not overly taken with it and you'll be in an even better financial situation then! Plus you'll know where you are with regards to the new business by then. I wouldn't do anything yet but thats me.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
fr tdi will have beter residuals, You only have to look at the mk1 FR/cupra Tdi,

Even the cupra tdi with 60,000 miles are still selling for 10-11k , mad a it seems the diesel has too many people wanting it.

Plus with a touch of remap, on the tdi fr you will be looking at 210bhp anyway, and the torque should really make up for the 30bhp loss in gear.

I said i would go for the cupra any which way i could, even if it meant going back to petrol, but the TDi is just such a more sensible option.

But just make sure you get the 18" optional wheels as the 17's are dog poo. oh and chuck on xenons, they should be standard, but SEAT insist on making more money on em, In fact i would go for the Tdi and spend say £1k on extras

Also this may further your decision, but i have been told by 2 sources now that after christmas the Leon is gonna have some added colours int he line-up for FR . Hopefully that azure purple colour they modelled the cupra in will be there

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
andih98uk I know I will love the Cupra - I don't need to drive it ;)

Ant FR I've pretty decided on silver for my next Leon - FR or Cupra. :) Residuals is a good point. Probably wouldn't look to remap it (unless I got bored) ;) Would be good to keep the insurance down nice and low.

Thinking about it more I could see how it goes with the FR for a year or two (whilst still putting money aside - plus if the business has taken off then get a Cupra.

Decisions decisions........ :(

Scott

xJib

If it’s a money thing and a not worrying about it getting scratched thing then maybe buy a second hand 2.0 Tdi Sport with all the right options.

You could run it for a year and see what the business/bank balance is doing and then make the decision. If you do want one then you won’t have lost as much as buying a brand new car.

Niall

Aug 6, 2003
www.testrake.com
2nd the option of getting a high spec sport. 2.0 TDi remapped should do 190 Bhp. Save yourself some Money come next trade in and servicing is cheap.

And people say you can't have fun in a diesel are wrong. Ask M0rk we had a blast at the ring in my Diesel. Several hot hatches couldn't get past.:lol:

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Gav, I'm not too worried about the money side - I'd be comfortable going the Cupra route. I suppose I'm just wrestling with a sensible voice in my head saying really the FR should be all the car I want / need, and the Cupra is just over the top, and do I really need it.

Scott

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
lol. don't go down the 'what you need' route

You'll just buy a ru of the mill focus because it makes sense

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
You leaving your current employer?

Scott wait till you see/drive the Cupra and make a decision then on cupra vs FR

Not really the plan to do so at the moment. Just get a lot of requests for outside work - decided to formalise the process rather than "cash in hand stuff". ;)

Seen it already at the show (love it) / know it will handle well and go like stink. But then there is always something better.... when do you stop?

Scott

lozza

part of the 'revo'lution!
Mar 29, 2002
North Yorkshire
Visit site
Scott,

I am feeling exactly the same re. the FR/Cupra choice. I am going to wait and drive a Cupra before deciding, but like you I think on paper the FR will be a more family friendly option. I think I will test drive an FR diesel as well, but it seems a bit off to pay more for less performance somehow.......

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
I suppose what it boils down to is if I had both cars in front of me now I'd take the Cupra.

I'd ideally like a new TT, but funds / lack of family friendlyness kick that into touch.

I suppose I'm just getting impatient waiting for the Cupra to be available and hearing about all these nice new FRs on the road. I've managed this long - four more months won't kill me. At least then I'll know how much / what kit is standard etc.

And of course - a chipped Cupra will be even more of a monster than my R was. :cheeky:

I've still yet to drive an FR mind - my dealer keeps selling them as soon as they come in so haven't had a demo available yet! :( Only driven the altea FR TDI

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.