Itchy feet? Considering not getting the cupra!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Like I said, you'll only regret it if you jump in now feet first, without weighing up the Cupra.

You've been on about it for a year, dont stumble at the final furlong. :D

As Yoda once said, Control, control. You must learn control.

Wait for the car to be announced, or even arrive, then weigh up your options.

Im setting my sights on a new Cupra, but financially if its too big a bridge to cross, i may go for the FR myself. Once i know the prices, and what the Cupra will give me over the FR, i can make a considered decision.

V5Ade

I love my LCR!
Aug 26, 2004
Guildford
You can't make an informed decision until you have driven the Cupra, you'd be gutted if you bought an FR then found that the Cupra was your perfect car.

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
The voices of reason make me see sense again. :) Cheers guys.

I've waited this long - a few more months won't kill me to make the corerect decision. I've run out of Cupra pictures to drool over though, need more - come on Seat :rolleyes:

Scott

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
Scott,

I am feeling exactly the same re. the FR/Cupra choice. I am going to wait and drive a Cupra before deciding, but like you I think on paper the FR will be a more family friendly option. I think I will test drive an FR diesel as well, but it seems a bit off to pay more for less performance somehow.......

a bit off to pay more for less performance.......

???

Don't make the mistake tha t a lot of people do, and assume because the bhp is less the Tdi must be slower, I think you need to test drive both back to back first

NeilW

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2004
Yorkshire!!!
Wait for the Cupra. :clap:

Problem is you "promised yourself" the Cupra ages ago, and buying the FR would be like accepting second best. First time you see a Cupra on the road while driving the FR your heart will sink and you'll start regretting your decision to compromise.

Just count the number of threads and posts on SCN from Cupra / FR drivers who regretted not buying an LCR (no offence to Cupra or FR drivers - I had one and I love you all!).

If from day one you'd set your heart on the FR and completely disregarded the Cupra then it would be a different story.

It'll be worth the wait! Ignore sensible head for now. Worry about insurance and fuel costs when you're old! Live for the moment now.

:ban: those thoughts about not buying a Cupra!!!

ktron

I have just taken the plunge and ordered the FR diesel. I took both version out on a test drive and imo you cannot tell the difference. Maybe at the top end the petrol would have the edge but hey-ho wasnt allowed to go that fast with the salesman sitting next to me :)

Will feel sad waving goodbye to my Cupra R after 3 year of fun (and 6 points on my licence) but doing 15k a year will probably save me 1k in fuel bill.

Damn I hate it when my sensible head wins.

safcnige

Had the new fr tdi for four weeks but if it wasnt for the company car tax wouldve had a focus st in orange. But im still chuffed to bits with it and its really fast, my neighbour asked what the fr stood for said i didnt know but after i took him out in it he said it must stand for effin rapid!

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Ok I've calmed. :) Back on track for the Cupra. :)

Hoping it comes with DSG up front though. Did a lot of driving today visiting some clients and the motorways were chocca and stop start. Twas a pain in the arse.

LOL @ Sexwee wipe clean seats. :) (depends if Seat managed to get the stains out of the ones at the motorshow) :whistle:

Scott

STOCKY

Audi TT 225
Oct 6, 2004
N.Ireland
The FR TDi should hit close on 230Bhp when remapped.

Sorry for the slightly off topic talk but it might help you in the end....
I know your a diesel man so, how sure are you of this? If it does and you have seen similar results could you give me any more info. If it did go to 230bhp that would be amazing and Id be putting my money on one asap.

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Written down the pros and cons:

FR
----

Pros:
- Cheaper to insure - on-line quote of £311 for wifey and me
- Cheaper fuel costs (around 150 miles more per tank - guesstimate)
- Not as worried about it being a target for thieves
- Can afford to spend a bit more on options
- Won't need to take out a loan
- Still looks great (similar looking to Cupra)
- Seats still very supportive

Cons:
- Car heavier - not as good handling (front suspension not lowered)
- 12,000 miles per year might not be enough to justify the premium for the diesel

Cupra
----
Pros:
- Bloody fast
- Potential chipping potential to big numbers (turbo dependent)
- Awesome brakes
- Phat zorst
- Lighter car / lowered front - better handling
- Cupra written on the back :cheeky:
- Expected awesome zorst and engine sound
- Potentially coming with good options as std. possibly xenons

Cons:
- Expensive - with options could brake the 20k barrier
- High running costs
- Pads will be more expensive
- Higher threat of being stolen
- Higher insurance costs (much more if chipped down the line) (R was £450 without mods - £711 with)
- Will need a loan for the difference

Why can't life be simple :rolleyes:

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members