Autogauge oil temp, 6 wires??

speedsix

Leon Cupra R 225
Oct 30, 2004
It has the same black, red & orange as the boost gauge which I've wired up (headlight switch). Gauge illuminates but I'm confused about the remaining 3 wires, black, red and green I think.

Green I assume goes to the sender but why do I have another red and black? Can I put this black in with the other earth? What about the other red, 12v I assume but I'm guessing I can't take it off the headlight switch as it'll be dimmed right?

Confuzzled

Dom.

NeilC

Has left the fold...
Mar 23, 2004
somewhere else
It has the same black, red & orange as the boost gauge which I've wired up (headlight switch). Gauge illuminates but I'm confused about the remaining 3 wires, black, red and green I think.

Green I assume goes to the sender but why do I have another red and black? Can I put this black in with the other earth? What about the other red, 12v I assume but I'm guessing I can't take it off the headlight switch as it'll be dimmed right?

Confuzzled

Dom.

Upper green goes to red on sender, upper black goes to black on sender. Upper red goes to yellow fusebox screw 75xx or something under the lower dash trim as it needs 12v supply, not 5-9v variable from dmmer switch or you'll be able to alter the temp yourself. The wiring diagram was wrong n mine and i had 2 wires going to sender instead of just the one. You need to check your sender.

speedsix

Leon Cupra R 225
Oct 30, 2004
Hi, if I wire the senders 12v wire into the 75x screw on the power block, I don't need to put an inline fuse in do I?

mattbeef

Apr 10, 2007
Sheffield
I havent dont it my VDO gauges in the Octavia and its fine.

Also from the diagrams that ive got it says you done need one

speedsix

Leon Cupra R 225
Oct 30, 2004
Ok, fitted an inline 10A fuse.

Next question, I'm assuming the AutoGauge sender will fit correctly into the (M10x1?) hole on the filter housing of a LCR?

My sender is the same as this one..
cupra008.jpg

Last edited:

speedsix

Leon Cupra R 225
Oct 30, 2004
Thanks, done it now.

In your guide you don't say where the black/red wire is you're taking the 12v feed from, is it the headlight switch? I put it on the yellow 12v nut on the power block underneath the dash.

Put the oil sender in and it leaked at first, took it out, put some ptfe tape on it and tightened it up and it seems fine now, I'll keep an eye on it. Anyone with the autogauge sender have this problem on a leon?

Dom.

speedsix

Leon Cupra R 225
Oct 30, 2004
My sender still had 2 or 3 threads showing, was yours the same one as the pic above?

Cheers

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.