Numpty needs help in Herts area!

Stu_HR

Odd Member
Jun 9, 2005
Airbag warning light won't go out on my 97 Mk2 Ibiza Cupra 16v.

Forgot to reconnect Airbag before starting car after fixing grinding noise from steering wheel. :doh:

Continuity of slip ring wiring in steering wheel OK & power to Airbag so think the fault code just needs clearing.

Anybody able to help? :worship:

Stu_HR

Odd Member
Jun 9, 2005
Now you're worrying me... left battery disconnected overnight & warning light still comes on. :cry:

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Hmmm that was only a guess as im not sure with the beezers, i know it works on the new leons. I have VAG com but not sure if it will work on yours?

Stu_HR

Odd Member
Jun 9, 2005
Scotty - The diagnostics port has a 16 pin connector underneath the steering wheel & from what I can find on the forum the fault code just needs to be cleared.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Good question - where's MOrk when you need him?

I'm here :)

yes - vagcom will communicate with the controller - it will have flagged a fault (that won't be cleared by disconnecting the battery)

You can clear it by going into the controller & clearing it that way. do not sit in the car & do this 'just in case'

otherwise - just like clearing any other code (I've done in on both my mk2's with air bags)

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Hmmmm, i would say i would do it but "do not sit in the car & do this 'just in case'" worrys me.

Take it to a stealer they should be kind and do it for a beer

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I would, but not local enough

I just plug it in & it was fine.

I'm just saying, I wouldn't want to sit infront of the air bag just in case

it's never gone off in my face when clearing the FC

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
I can give it ago if the dealer are going to charge, BUT on your head be it and im busy over the weekend.
Do you just need to go to the air bag block and clear the fault codes?

Stu_HR

Odd Member
Jun 9, 2005
Scotty - I just need to clear the fault code as everything is OK, I just forgot to reconnect the blasted airbag lead under the steering wheel before reconnecting the battery.

How you find the fault code & clear it I have no idea as I've never even seen VAG Com in operation.

Does that make me a VAG COM Virgin?

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Yeah just making sure theres no special way to do the airbag fault codes.

It sure does, shall we be gentle!

Just opened VAG Com and it gave me a big warning that they may go off! Your risk mate

Last edited:

Stu_HR

Odd Member
Jun 9, 2005
Scotty - I 'd be happy to come to you if & when its convenient.
I'll just hide round the corner with my fingers in my ears!
:whistle:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.