Who's been up against a scooby?

virdi

Nov 12, 2006
Middlesex
I had a little play on the way to work this morning with a 51 plate WRX - Looked pretty standard...

We didn't really get any proper side by side action - but I think I would have had a fair chance if we did....

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
i had a side by side go with a wrx (on a private airfeild) with 320 bhp on the way to a rr day. he pulled away but not as much as i thought he would but he still did pull away and it takes alot of extra bhp to do that. keeping in mind that subarus can range from 200+ BHP so you wont really know how to compare

owen

karlosR

TORQUEY, NOISEY V6
Mar 10, 2006
BEDFORD
what do you drive? i tried catching a scooby a while back but couldn't catch him up (he was driving like a twoc'er though) there was no way in hell it was standard because it was very very rapid! in the end i gave up as his driving was dangerous. i upset a TVR driver a few weeks back as although there was no way i was quicker than him i managed to keep in his rearview mirror! i don't think his trophy girlfriend was too happy with him!!

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
LCR's only way of catching / staying with a Scooby WRX is a rolling start say 40-100mph

Remapped LCR on a rolling start will stay with an STI PPP

If you go anywhere near a bend or your at a traffic light Grand Prix forget it

kempos

Sep 26, 2002
hull
Visit site
i have had a side by side with a scoob turbo 5 door estate.
was 1st shape r reg about 3 years ago in ibiza tdi 180+. started from rolling at 40 i got initial lead but by 90 and slow down time he was back level.
had a play with 55 reg off a roundabout onto empty uphill dual carriageway in standard tolly 20vt and he did pull about 3 car lengths by 90mph.

although have got footage on phone of me passing a 911 carrera and a 56 plate lambo gallardo:funk: i dont care if he wasn't trying, it sounded f*#+ing awesome

virdi

Nov 12, 2006
Middlesex
LCR's only way of catching / staying with a Scooby WRX is a rolling start say 40-100mph

Remapped LCR on a rolling start will stay with an STI PPP

If you go anywhere near a bend or your at a traffic light Grand Prix forget it

This is so true!!

When we came to a bend - I had to slow down a lot - But he didn't :(

...so by the time I was out of the bend - He was all ready quite a bit ahead..... Mind you the road was wet.... and I was sliding a little when I came out of the bend....

Maybe next time! ;)

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
This is so true!!

When we came to a bend - I had to slow down a lot - But he didn't :(

...so by the time I was out of the bend - He was all ready quite a bit ahead..... Mind you the road was wet.... and I was sliding a little when I came out of the bend....

Maybe next time! ;)

When I had the suspension done on my car I was chasing a Scooby RB5 down to the Goodwood Festival of speed, I threw my car into a few roundabouts and fast sweeping bends and Mr RB5 was not pleased that I was glued to his bumper.

Then again I am comparing std to modified cars which is hardly fair, I'm sure a prodrive equipped Scooby with uprated suspension would make mincemeat of my old car

karlosR

TORQUEY, NOISEY V6
Mar 10, 2006
BEDFORD
i wouldn't have thought a lot of impreza drivers would uprate their suspension unless they're into modding their cars as a lot of owners think they have a WRC straight out of the box.

virdi

Nov 12, 2006
Middlesex
But I have to admit - Scooby's do handle very well for a standard car....

But then again - My LCR handles a lot better than my old Focus - lol

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
But then again - My LCR handles a lot better than my old Focus - lol

Really? my std LCR didn't handle nealry as well as Focus

For a standard car the Focus turns in sweetly and tracks nicely through the bends and you always have confidence on ultimate levels of grip.....The LCR is wooly on turn in and when the @rse end is going to step out is anybody's guess.

Ultimate levels of grip are higher in the LCR it's just not having the confidence in knowing where those limits end.

I always thought body roll was very high in the LCR.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Really? my std LCR didn't handle nealry as well as Focus

For a standard car the Focus turns in sweetly and tracks nicely through the bends and you always have confidence on ultimate levels of grip.....The LCR is wooly on turn in and when the @rse end is going to step out is anybody's guess.

Ultimate levels of grip are higher in the LCR it's just not having the confidence in knowing where those limits end.

I always thought body roll was very high in the LCR.

I had a Focus a few years ago and it was a very good handling car. Even more so when lowered and on lower profile alloys with good tyres :)

However, the Focus handling is very good and composed right up until you reach it's limit. Whereas most cars will begin to slide and you can catch it, the Focus just snaps and loses it instantly. There isn't really any progression about it.

The LCR, from the limited time I've had it, seems to feel like it's not as controlled but in reality you are much more aware of what it's doing.

virdi

Nov 12, 2006
Middlesex
Focus handling was ok for standard..... mine was a Zetec TDCi on standard 15" alloys....

But now I drive the LCR through the same roads / bends etc... on the way to work and the LCR sticks to the road alot better than the Focus did...

V5Ade

I love my LCR!
Aug 26, 2004
Guildford
Here's my personal experience;
I had a Revo'd LCR, and now have a WRX PPP (05 model with the inverted front dampers, 0-60 mph 4.8, 0-100 14.1) so I can comment on both cars.
Once rolling a standard LCR will keep up with a standard WRX, a Revo'd LCR is a match for a WRX PPP (assuming the drivers are of equal ability).
Obviously a WRX has awesome traction, so off the line, in the wet and accelerating out of slow speed corners an LCR is disadvantaged. However the standard WRX suspension is very soft and they understeer much more than you would expect, so at near the limit on medium/high speed bends the LCR should have a slight advantage (depending on your driving style). The STI has a more aggressive set-up but they still understeer.
I've already had Prodrive suspension fitted to my WRX and the geometry altered to Prodrive settings to dial out the understeer. On a smooth road, once rolling, medium/high speed bends a Revo’d LCR is a very quick car, I don’t think that there would be much in it, but when it gets twisty or wet or really bumpy the LCR would struggle.
I like to think that this is unbiased :)

ice maiden

Ok here is my input......

I have both a Revod LCR and a Classic WRX import which is running about 300bhp.....

If you do a standing start the impreza will hammer the lcr, there is just no comparison......the grip is just amazing....but if its a rolling start from prob 50mph the LCR wins hands down.....as for handling....the Subaru will win every time even if the LCR has uprated suspension, you just cant compare with the 4WD.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Here's my personal experience;
I had a Revo'd LCR, and now have a WRX PPP (05 model with the inverted front dampers, 0-60 mph 4.8, 0-100 14.1) so I can comment on both cars.
Once rolling a standard LCR will keep up with a standard WRX, a Revo'd LCR is a match for a WRX PPP (assuming the drivers are of equal ability).
Obviously a WRX has awesome traction, so off the line, in the wet and accelerating out of slow speed corners an LCR is disadvantaged. However the standard WRX suspension is very soft and they understeer much more than you would expect, so at near the limit on medium/high speed bends the LCR should have a slight advantage (depending on your driving style). The STI has a more aggressive set-up but they still understeer.
I've already had Prodrive suspension fitted to my WRX and the geometry altered to Prodrive settings to dial out the understeer. On a smooth road, once rolling, medium/high speed bends a Revo’d LCR is a very quick car, I don’t think that there would be much in it, but when it gets twisty or wet or really bumpy the LCR would struggle.
I like to think that this is unbiased :)

Excellent comparison, cheers for that :)

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
LCR sticks to the road alot better than the Focus did...

I think thats what I said ultimate levels of grip were higher but that's not handling IMO

RobM said:
However, the Focus handling is very good and composed right up until you reach it's limit. Whereas most cars will begin to slide and you can catch it, the Focus just snaps and loses it instantly. There isn't really any progression about it.

The LCR, from the limited time I've had it, seems to feel like it's not as controlled but in reality you are much more aware of what it's doing.

I couldn't disagree more, I had a Leon Cupra and that was the worlds worst for snappy oversteer....the LCR was better but progressive it isn't....certainly be VERY carefull when you have worn tyres on the rear of an LCR

The Focus is predictable and I can find the limits with ease, slide and catch is easy IMO.

With suspension changes though the LCR can be made to lift off oversteer with ease.

Those were my findings on about 50k miles in each of the above.

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
Focus handling was ok for standard..... mine was a Zetec TDCi on standard 15" alloys....

But now I drive the LCR through the same roads / bends etc... on the way to work and the LCR sticks to the road alot better than the Focus did...

Handling and grip are not the same thing. I think you are confusing the two.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I couldn't disagree more, I had a Leon Cupra and that was the worlds worst for snappy oversteer....the LCR was better but progressive it isn't....certainly be VERY carefull when you have worn tyres on the rear of an LCR

The Focus is predictable and I can find the limits with ease, slide and catch is easy IMO.

With suspension changes though the LCR can be made to lift off oversteer with ease.

Those were my findings on about 50k miles in each of the above.

Isn't it strange that two people in similar cars find them very different to drive!

I had my Focus for just over 2 years and covered a similar sort of mileage to yourself, and always found the Focus handled really well but there was a fine line between handling and lost it.
I've only had the LCR for 6 weeks or so though, so not long enough to really form an accurate opinion.

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
I've only had the LCR for 6 weeks or so though, so not long enough to really form an accurate opinion.

Be very careful if you ever put new tyres on the front of the car and worn on the rear, really upset the balance of the car IMO.....front grips and rear doesn't

Cue 20 posts from people telling me I should have slowed down in the wet :rolleyes: