New 'Batman' steering wheel

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
Gonna start this with a How To... if I may

Couldn't find any info on removing the airbag on a Toledo (or Leon, Golf, Octavia) ...

... course, it's pretty obvious once you have a spare wheel infront of you, but I have an inane fear of failure when it comes to working on the car and wanted to read up on it first :rolleyes:

Anyway, easy doesn't even describe it -

(s'pose I should put some sort of safety warning on here - disconnect your battery and wait 30mins before attempting to remove or tamper with an airbag or it's connectors)

Turn the wheel to about 10 o'clock and locate one of the holes in the back of the wheel

2255235_28_full.jpg

Insert a screwdriver and lift the handle up - outwards from the wheel

it's these clips you're trying to push inwards
2255235_29_full.jpg

If the airbag doesn't pop towards you, give it a gentle pull and rotate the wheel to access the hole on the other side.

I think the bolt in the centre of the wheel needed a 12mm splined socket and you just need to be sure that the new wheel is located on the hub in the same position as the original was when you removed it.

Airbag just pops back on when you're finished.

Result -

2255235_26_full.jpg

2255235_27_full.jpg
[B)]

And that's Phase1 complete. No prizes for guessing what Phase2 involves ;)

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
Not too different I hope :p

The Toledo's effectively worthless 2nd hand and there's nothing out there sub £18k that comes with DSG, so thought I'd make one

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
Well, here in lies the crux of the problem

Toledo's the same as the TT
TT comes with a 3.2 V6
Mk5 R32/A3 quattro also has V6
and the engine's out of an A3

so logically, there will be some mounts in the range that will bolt a 2.0T into an old shape TT and therefor the Toledo ... but whether they're the ones I've got - only time will tell :D

Norm

Well, here in lies the crux of the problem

Toledo's the same as the TT
TT comes with a 3.2 V6
Mk5 R32/A3 quattro also has V6
and the engine's out of an A3

so logically, there will be some mounts in the range that will bolt a 2.0T into an old shape TT and therefor the Toledo ... but whether they're the ones I've got - only time will tell :D

Whats the wiring like between the paddle shift and the DSG box? is it part of the wiring loom or a seperate loom? Just wondering how hard it would be to add the new FR paddle shift whell to a 2.0TDI Sport DSG?:think:

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
It's part of the main loom .... but then again, so is the CD changer on SE models of Toledo - doesn't mean you can't buy the wiring seperately (so long as you can find the part number)

It's only a couple of plugs with 4 wires in total.

The paddle operation will more than likely be something that just needs activating in VagCom. Probably best if you try and find the setting before splashing out on the hardware though ;)

Norm

Sounds interesting im sure SEAT would know guess they wouldnt have changed their workings for the leon, hopefully is a generic loom for golf A3 and new leon. cheers for the info mate.:happy:

Sam20v

Nov 8, 2003
Dubai UAE
Visit site
OMG that is a SUPERMOD!
keep us informed of how it goes mate!
i had a go in a mates golf GT TDI at the weekend....he had tiptronic and bought the relevant parts to add paddle shift (circa 450 quid).......is an awesome bit of kit!!!!! :D

amccan10

Feb 16, 2007
Wishaw
Hey tiiewl, How's this coming along?

I'd forgotten all about this mod.

You made any changes to your car in the last while?

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
LOL

No, it's sat out in the carpark looking a bit sorry for itself :(

My mate's run into problems with his garage plans (or rather lack of them) so there's a hollow steel frame round the side of his house, a pair of complete A3 subframes in his dad's lock up and I'm driving around in a Nissan Micra :p

Noticed an increasing number of TFSIs being broken on eBay but at least the parts are holding their value. I've emailed a couple of breakers about getting a RHD cabin loom (since mine came from the continent) but it's a pig of a job to remove so they're not very forthcoming .... might just buy one if I run into trouble.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.