Fitting CD changer in Mk4 Ibiza

joonspoon

175hp. 275lbs/ft.
Nov 18, 2006
Oxfordshire
Hi folks.
I'd like some advice please.
I've recently bought a second hand CD changer, Genuine VW Matsushita 1J6035111.
Picture here. Sorry it's not great. http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n25/joonspoon_2006/SCN/CDChanger-1.jpg
It came out of a 2000 Ibiza and is in perfect working order. £40 which I thought was pretty good.

My car is a June 2006 Ibiza FR TDi pre face lift.
I'd like to fit it under the front passenger seat if there's room but the boot looks like less work.
Can I expect to find existing wiring anywhere or will I have to run cable from the head unit (Alana) to where I'm fitting the changer?
Will the connector on the cable plug straight into existing wiring or will I need to change it?

Thanks,
Guy.

maxcars1

Nov 9, 2004
There'll be no existing wiring installed for the changer. Optiones for mounting are the glove box - ideal, undertray below the drivers seat or boot. I'd prefer the glovebox. You'll also find that the headunit uses mini iso connectors, so I'm assuming the cable you'll have to source will connect to this connector at the back of your cd changer.

joonspoon

175hp. 275lbs/ft.
Nov 18, 2006
Oxfordshire
Thanks for the reply.

It's probably going in the boot.

I've taken the head unit out for a look. Picture 1 shows the connections at the back of the unit. I'm guessing the top block is the mini ISO bit.
The existing connector to it is a single block with 1 yellow wire which connects to the pin I've highlighted.
Picture 2 shows all 3 connectors with the one in question on the right.

I want to make sure I'm getting the proper cable. Will the item in the link do the job?
When I asked at the dealers the bloke in parts claimed that he couldn't give me a part number despite me showing him the CD changer and telling him which head unit I had. They sold me the car so should know!

Thanks, Guy.

Pic 1 http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n25/joonspoon_2006/SCN/Radioconnections.jpg

Pic 2 http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n25/joonspoon_2006/SCN/Radiocables.jpg

Link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-CD-Autocha...8QQihZ020QQcategoryZ75307QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

maxcars1

Nov 9, 2004
I'm sure my Alana hasnt got the connector as shown at Pix 2 on the right. I have just fitted a mini iso into rca to drive my amp. I think you have the right lead, but that would make the large conector with the yellow lead redundant which IIRC is the romote lead on my wiring diagram. It may be that you dont need the yellow lead when installed. Hopefully soemone might come along with a second opinion - in fact I'll PM someone to have a look at your thread ;)

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
Ask the guy off ebay how many pins the black plug end of the cable has, check this with the socket on your changer.
The other end is standard and will fit your headunit.
The yellow wire you have highlighted is the remote control part of you headunit, so I guess you have steering wheel controls for your stereo.

Cannot tell from the photo if the black plug with the yellow wire splits into 3?
If it does slide the green part out from your Ebay changer lead and fit the middle part of your plug (the one with the yellow wire) in it's place.

If it doesn't split into 3, cut the yellow wire and join it to the green plug in exactly the same pin connection.

Last edited:

gazjones

has your car got steering wheel controls as that yellow wire is for that i belive but the iso should split into 3 i belive. they all slide together to make one iso as such

gazjones

looking at the lead off ebay that looks like my 3rd iso block blue green and yellow just remove the wire out of your 3rd iso into the same space on the wiring and all should be good

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
This diagram will help make things clearer. It identifies all the pins and what they do:

Iso1.jpg

Key:

Iso2.jpg

Iso3.jpg

joonspoon

175hp. 275lbs/ft.
Nov 18, 2006
Oxfordshire
You lot are absolute stars! Thanks very much indeed! :worship: :clap: :D
The diagram is great.

Yes I do have steering wheel controls. The existing connector is solid so I'll have to move the wire into the green connector.
I'll send a message to the seller and let you know how I get on.

Again many thanks.
Guy.

gazjones

is it not the yellow conector in the middle glad you now know what to do to install it :thumbup:

gazjones

well what ever colour it is as long as you get the right pin thats all that matters isnt it you not mounting it in the glove box?

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
Ignore Gaz as he is colour blind, so am I but not as bad.
It was interesting figuring out the yellow and green Forge springs!

gazjones

LMAO :lol: ow yea i looked at the wire going into mine and though erm fcuk that and got new headunint so i didnt have to worry about the colour!

joonspoon

175hp. 275lbs/ft.
Nov 18, 2006
Oxfordshire
you not mounting it in the glove box?

Not sure if I want to fill the glove box. I know a woman who puts any amount of stuff in there. :rolleyes:

As for the ebay cable.......
Would you credit it!
Sent the seller a message, reply is it has 12 sockets (which I need) but only 9 are used and I have 10 pins connected in the plug on my changer. :cry:

I might try making my own cable. Maplin here I come! Pretty sure I've seen the connectors I need. Just a matter of working out what goes where. ;)
Watch this space.

Regards Guy.

gazjones

im now changing my headunit back to standard one and fitting the rca iso plug to run my sub and fitting my dads old cd changer from his leon as its going tomorrow i just need to find a lead from the headunit to the cd changer as the one in the leon was difficult to remove so we left it in,
also did the ibiza mean to have the cd changer in the glove box as there seems to be a moulding for it to sit in there!

joonspoon

175hp. 275lbs/ft.
Nov 18, 2006
Oxfordshire
also did the ibiza mean to have the cd changer in the glove box as there seems to be a moulding for it to sit in there!

I think it's coincidence. Factory fitted changers all seem to go in the boot. :shrug:

I'm having a heck of a job finding a plug for the socket on the changer cable.
Drew a blank at both Maplin & RS components.

Given the cost of the 3 piece mini ISO connector (about 9 quid) plus cable and CD connector (if I find it), a ready made one is looking better and better all the time. :rolleyes:

These two are currently on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-CD-CHANGER...ryZ75307QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-VW-CD-CHA...ryZ75327QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Wonder if they're what I need?

Guy.

gazjones

they look the same as the wiring in the leon of my dads the leon cd changer is in the glove box infact and its perfect fit with that changer in my glove box so its going in there for me lol

joonspoon

175hp. 275lbs/ft.
Nov 18, 2006
Oxfordshire
I reckon the only thing I'm going to fit is a glove box light.
Will have another look for the bits I need tomorrow but can feel an ebay moment approaching fast. :givein:
Guy.

BTW. I meant to talk to you last night but got rather involved in the general chat! I was sitting opposite Pat and next to Claire

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.