Boot Light and Glovebox Light Parts list and vague instructions...

BlackFR

Jan 22, 2002
Not too far away
These bits may come in handy...

Bits for the glovebox light:
3B0 947 415 B Glovebox Lamp [email protected]
1J0 947 561 C Switch [email protected]
893 971 632 Housing [email protected]
1J0 973 119 Housing [email protected]
000 979 133 Cable [email protected]
000 979 131 Cable [email protected]

Bits for the boot light:
1M0 947 101 A Boot Lamp [email protected]
6L6 867 761 F Shelf [email protected] replaces existing shelf.
1J0 971 972 Housing [email protected]
000 979 131 Crimps Included in the above for glovebox

Parts list above includes all connectors, crimps and other bits to make the job the same as the OE installation. All you need is about 3m or so of 24/0.2 equipment wire such as:

Maplin order code:BA40T 10m Red 24/0.2 [email protected] clicky

Fitting Glovebox light:
Connect the glovebox light and switch in series and mount in the existing cutouts on the glovebox.
Connect one end to red/black wire on the interior light
Connect the other end to GND (bare metal bracket to the left of the glovebox is ideal)
If the light fails to illuminate when the glovebox is open the reverse the two wires going into the bulb holder. This is due to the bulb holder having a diode fitted making it polarised.

Fitting Boot light:
Replace existing rear passenger side shelf with the new one.
Pull back the carpet below where the new shelf is mounted in the boot.
Connect one end of the boot light bulb holder to the brown/blue wire in the pink connector.
Connect the other end to the red/black wire on the interior light.

If you have any problems post up and ill try and help, if you burn your car to the ground its not my problem though:)

BlackFR

Jan 22, 2002
Not too far away
hoew much it all come to for the glove box light and boot light seperatly???

:doh: just noticed the prices next to every part :banghead2:
:

:p :lol: :whistle:

Prices are a 18 months or so old so they may have changed.

Great post! Thanks. :clap:

Re the glove box light.
Does the lamp have a bulb fitted?
Do all the bits just clip in?

Guy.

The lamp holders both come with bulbs, at least the ones I had did. I do have the bulb part numbers though...

The glove box light bits all clip in just pop out the rectangle of plastic at the top of the glovebox for the light. The switch mounts on the rear left of the glovebox. You can get to this by taking the side panel off (like you do on the drivers side to get to the fuse box).

BlackFR

Jan 22, 2002
Not too far away
glove box light..

what colour wire do we tap into for the 12v + and is it permanent live or ign switched ?

As I said above:
Connect one end to red/black wire on the interior light (up the front)

This is a permanent +12V that has a timeout after a 20 or so mins, so if you leave the glovebox open or the interior light on it wont trash the battery.

boot light..

so the brown/blue wire is the 12v + and I assume we just need to ground the - side from the light housing ?

As above:
Connect one end of the boot light bulb holder to the brown/blue wire in the pink connector.

Blue/brown in boot loom is the -ve side that gets grounded by the boot switch.
Red/black at interior light (up the front) is the +12V with timeout.

:)

joonspoon

175hp. 275lbs/ft.
Nov 18, 2006
Oxfordshire
The lamp holders both come with bulbs, at least the ones I had did. I do have the bulb part numbers though...

The glove box light bits all clip in just pop out the rectangle of plastic at the top of the glovebox for the light. The switch mounts on the rear left of the glovebox. You can get to this by taking the side panel off (like you do on the drivers side to get to the fuse box).

Cheers mate.
Off to the dealers first thing tomorrow for me. :)
Anyone what to take bets on parts not in stock. :shrug:
Guy.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
As I said above:
Connect one end to red/black wire on the interior light (up the front)

This is a permanent +12V that has a timeout after a 20 or so mins, so if you leave the glovebox open or the interior light on it wont trash the battery.

As above:

Blue/brown in boot loom is the -ve side that gets grounded by the boot switch.
Red/black at interior light (up the front) is the +12V with timeout.

:)

ahh ok so you're connecting into the interior light circuit from the headlining and earthing with the switches after the glovebox/boot lamps....

I thought you were talking about some sort of plug/play mod where the factory omitted to fit the lamp housings and switches

Last edited:

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
anyone done this mod? mainly the glove light

no but I'm prolly gonna

AFAIK just run a wire from the interior light across the top of the windscreen/headlining, then down the pasenger a pillar to the glovebox then install an oem lamp and switch and earth it

boot light seems a bit too much bother for what light you will get

gazjones

mmmm got m e thinking now glove box seems easy only need a permanant live and wire the swtich it and earth it , get parts ordered lol they will all be on back order soon as all the mk4 owners will be rining dealers up ordering them but great info on this! :thumbup:

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
cool mate be asking u soem questions if u get it done, a wud order mine tomorow as well but my weekend seems somewhat busy with what I have orderd. Good luck anyway mate look cool when u get it done

joonspoon

175hp. 275lbs/ft.
Nov 18, 2006
Oxfordshire
Don't you just love dealers! :rolleyes:
Not one part for the glove box in stock and couldn't even give me a price on the lamp! :banghead2
Parts are now on order with a deposit paid.
End of next week for delivery. :shrug:

Guy.

BlackFR

Jan 22, 2002
Not too far away
AFAIK just run a wire from the interior light across the top of the windscreen/headlining, then down the pasenger a pillar to the glovebox then install an oem lamp and switch and earth it

boot light seems a bit too much bother for what light you will get

Thats exactly what you do.

Boot light is well worth it IMHO.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.