Shell Vs Tesco 99?

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Anyone tried the Tesco 99 fuel, compared to Shell V-Power is it much the same, better, worse? What's the price difference, Tesco must be cheaper right? I just noticed my local Tesco now has 99 RON so wondered about it!

Russo

Second Row Forward
Sep 10, 2005
Hatfield, Herts
My mate with a 200sx swears by tescos 99. Not all tescos stock it though, its a bit of a trek for me to get some. I should try it out though...

Rikko

Owner Of The Possesed 1
Dec 19, 2006
Grimsby
I use to swear by Shells Optimax and had a few full tanks of V Power but just filled my car with Tesco 99 after my mate said its awesome in his 172 so ill keep you posted not really had chance to test it out yet people in car when been anywhere.
Rikko

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
Since I bought my ST I'd been trying a mix of Tesco 99 and Optimax/V-Power in it. Having allowed a few tank fulls for the ECU adaptation to take effect I have to say that it seems to prefer the Shell offerings. Not only does the engine feel smoother, but the butt dyno thinks that it has a bit more go. Going from memory I think the Tescos fuel is only about 1p/l cheaper so I spend the extra on Shell even though Tescos is closer to me.

kempos

Sep 26, 2002
hull
Visit site
as its the only 2 fuels that are 99 ron it is probably the same stuff, tesco will buy it from shell but offer it cheaper with in store discounts etc. just to get your shopping cash

KaraK

Suspiciously Absent
Feb 28, 2003
Cumbria, UK
Visit site
I've used both in the scoob - wouldnt have said I've noticed much difference - feels like it runs slightly smoother when cold on the Shell stuff but thats about it.

I'll keep using Shell however since its a darn sight closer to me!

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
as its the only 2 fuels that are 99 ron it is probably the same stuff, tesco will buy it from shell but offer it cheaper with in store discounts etc. just to get your shopping cash

Nope. Tesco buy their fuel from Greenergy and Shell make their own. Although the octane levels are the same, they're made using different processes.

Rikko

Owner Of The Possesed 1
Dec 19, 2006
Grimsby
The fuels are made in exactly the same way guys there is no difference i work for an oil refinery and both tesco and shell trucks leave our road loading facility on a daily basis.

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
Are the additives, etc exactly the same then? Also are the trucks both full of super unleaded or normal 95 octane unleaded?

Rikko

Owner Of The Possesed 1
Dec 19, 2006
Grimsby
It varies mate but we produce both fuels for both companies the super unleaded or higher octaine fuels are just pulled off the process earlier as the fuel losses octaine the further down the process it is i.e racing fuels are pulled off quite early in the process as is aviation fuel as this is about 110 octaine.
Rikko:doh:

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
What do you mean it loses octane the further down the process? I'm no expert, but I thought each type of fuel is refined a different way to produce different compositions and potencies.

Wilko

Badge snob
Well If they're the same, I'll eat my hat (if I had one)
I used to get very similar timing advance on both optimax, and tescos 99, but optimax felt crisper. Adding millers octane plus to these fuels gained 1-2 degrees of timing advance.
On V power, I get 3-4 degrees more timing advance across the board over and above what I could acheve on optimax before knock becomes an iseue. I would suggest that V power is considerably more than 99ron. It's only produced at stanlow from memory.

Rikko

Owner Of The Possesed 1
Dec 19, 2006
Grimsby
True shell fuel is only produced in certain locations 1 being ours. No unleaded fuel is all made the same else it would cost millions for each refinery to have different octaine production lines. The fuels are just pulled off the line at different parts of the process. Im not saying your car will responed the same on both fuels as fuels break down in octaine rating the longer there left plus bare in mind it sits in a underground tank until you pump it into your car these arnt always as clean as they should be. Im just saying there both made in exactly the same way most of which are produced at the same refineries.
Rikko

Molehill_Mike

Rollin' on 20s
Jan 3, 2005
Bedfordshire
Use Tesco 99Ron all the time in my Beeza, REVO settings Timing 9 with no pull back on any cylinder...great stuff, cheap too, in Dustable is around 88.9p a litre...

Mike

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
gonna have to say my car prefers Optimax dammit :( (expensive grrr....)

Car runs ok on Tesco 99, but doesn't idle as well. Not sure on performance/cf's as I havent had a chance to compare, but the idle is enough for me to stick to optimax when i can.

That said my car runs ok on Sainsburys 97ron Super? Just the Tesco's 99 and ANY Morrisson petrol that my car doesnt like :(

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
Have to say myengine had more willingness to rev on v-power than tesco99

And seeing thats what mine is being mapped on I'll stick with it where practical

Rikko

Owner Of The Possesed 1
Dec 19, 2006
Grimsby
I must admit guys i swear by optimax and now v power but my current tank is full with tesco 99 to see what its like but not had chance to test her out properly yet but i really want to try is BP Ultimate 102 awesome but no BP round here.
Rikko

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.