Power Steering gone, very heavy steering, help!

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
could easily need a new steering rack £600 sounds abit steep! but dealer will charge more probably! hope you get it sorted

Triple D

Ouch, my Gf needed a new steering rack in her cupra after someone bumped into her. hope you get it sorted soon though chappy :D

MK8

yeah me too... im taking to a seat garage in the morning to get it checked out and a second opinon, i thought it would be a loose hose, cracked reservoir or something! Just seems strange as there was no incident to damage the steering, nothing else noticable than vey hevy steering, which goes back to perfect when topping up the fluid. Just find it hard to believe, and Inde-tech are too busy too look at my car before tues, which is a problem because I live in Bham during the week!

[:@] :censored: £600:censored: [:@]

Ill include updates when i can for anyone thats intrested

Triple D

My step dad used to have a Vauxhall Vectra 2.5 v6 SRI as a company car in 2000, and the power steering failed on that. He noticed a noise and the steering going heavy on the friday, mum took it out to the hairdressers on the saturday, then on saturday night he went to pick up my bro from a discs, wasnt going fast as he knew something was wrong. Going down a country lane and came to a corner, at which there was a canal bridge, so he steers to go around it, but the powersteering failed, couldnt steer, then it kicked in, and he lost it, binned it into the bridge at maybe 35 mph and the car got written off.

Be carefull matey.

MK8

Already had one very lucky escape, coming up to a left turn into uni, normally very busy with traffic all down it waiting to pull out, approached and turned, bt the steering failed and i over shot it and wen into the other lane! Was very lucky there was no car there!

But when i top the fluid up, its perfect, and i dont have any doubts itll fail, so i just have to keep topping it up. I dont drive it, unless its one garage to another.

Driving a Astra Diesel van during the week! Loving the mpg!

Triple D

Trying to get a good will out of seat is liking pissing in the wind and trying to not get wet as it comes back and sprays you in the face. Not gonna happen matey.

MK8

Yeah exactly, didnt think for a sec i would, why would they give anything away for free....just answering tommmineh's post. Quite the opposite, theyll probably quote a hell lot more than my local garage tomorrow !

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
sounds like a seal has gone inside the rack

forget goodwill - use fit for purpose and life of vehicle angle

MK8

sounds like a seal has gone inside the rack

forget goodwill - use fit for purpose and life of vehicle angle

Inde-tech mentioned that on the phone, im really hoping it is now, sounds a hell of a lot cheaper than a new steering rack.

Im going to see what they say..i do think it is crap for a car just over 3 yrs old for its steering rack to go?!

tommmineh

1.2 POWER
Feb 28, 2005
Sheffield/Rotherham
Ran out end of sept '06, so just under five months, cars done 36k.....just passed the period where seat will show any good will i thought, what do u think?

Worth a polite letter IMO, Seat customer care have been excellent with me regarding a goodwill payment.

But as Fl@pper said, aim at vehicle life, you didnt buy an expensive car for ridiculous repairs when it's so young etc etc. Yours is below average mileage aswell.

Good luck!

MK8

Thanks, appreciate it, i think service closes at 1pm at my local stealer, so im going to go there in the morning and get them to have a look, hopefully they'll have time to give me a quick quote, if they dont I might leave it at Inde-Tech for a week for them to have a look at it at some point in the week, and take it from there.

Bit difficult as I'm only around on weekends..keep you posted

MK8

Seat Dealer said i would need a new steering rack, and would get a quote to me on monday...we'll see if they remember the call me back.

Looks like I've got no choice but to shell out for a new steering rack for £600...ffs

gchuggins

With regards to possibly repairing the pump yourself as I did, you will need to remove the low pressure pipe that goes onto the reservoir. Then the high pressure pipe that bolts onto the actual pump. Then its just a case of removing the housing that the pump and reservoir sit in and disassembling and reassembling the pump, while its all off make sure all the parts of pipe you can see are fine. I don't know if you have to take the front bumper off as I already had my bumper, wheel housing and engine tray off.
Hope this helps and it would be best to wait till the snow has cleared.

Deleted member 77040

With regards to possibly repairing the pump yourself as I did, you will need to remove the low pressure pipe that goes onto the reservoir. Then the high pressure pipe that bolts onto the actual pump. Then its just a case of removing the housing that the pump and reservoir sit in and disassembling and reassembling the pump, while its all off make sure all the parts of pipe you can see are fine. I don't know if you have to take the front bumper off as I already had my bumper, wheel housing and engine tray off.
Hope this helps and it would be best to wait till the snow has cleared.

I think the snow may have cleared as its now 5 years later :lol:

110bhp

[:@]

Just had this happen to me tonight fluid leaking onto wishbone, steering very lumpy. I managed to limp home 30 miles safely but need to investigate the problem tomorrow.

Is there no way to replace seals in the steering rack? I dont want to fork out for a steering rack if poss!

Car is a pd130 sport the old girl has clocked up 157,000 miles so hasn't done too bad!

Mar 19, 2010
I'm in middle of replacing mine. Seals on both sides where nackard. I got a rack with warrenty off eBay for 74 . You have to drop the subframe mind you

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.