175/50/16 tyres on a 7.5j rim

MarkW

Chris
Apr 4, 2007
Edingburgh
Is this wise? I use my car daily, probably about 15k a year unfortunately :(. Am currently looking at new tyres, was planning on keeping the 205/40's on the back and swapping the fronts from 195/45 to 195/40. But I have just seen a set of 175/50's up for sale and thought it may be worth changing them!

Will the stretch be a bit much for front tyres?

Grayboy

Jan 31, 2005
Beckenham
Is this wise? I use my car daily, probably about 15k a year unfortunately :(. Am currently looking at new tyres, was planning on keeping the 205/40's on the back and swapping the fronts from 195/45 to 195/40. But I have just seen a set of 175/50's up for sale and thought it may be worth changing them!

Will the stretch be a bit much for front tyres?

I'd say it's unwise to stretch tyres that much on a daily especially as it's FWD all your steering, cornering grip and braking will suffer too as there so narrow.

195/40 are the way to go I'd say, tyres determine pretty much every aspect of the performance of your car you can have the best suspension, brakes & loads of power but it's all useless when your tyres aren't up to the job, just my 2p :)!

richy-lou

no a few ppl who have done the same kinda thing said they would adives it

MarkW

Chris
Apr 4, 2007
Edingburgh
I've kinda decided against it, haven't heard back from the guy and agree its gonna loose me grip and traction to a certain extent.

Plus the cost of 195 40 16 toyo proxes is too good to miss!

Mckellar

ive got stretched tyres on the rear rims but not on the fronts - 195/45/16 on an 8 inch rims, it has a nice stretch, never had any bother, but then again i dont do big milages or fast cornering.
I'd stick with some 195s upfront tbh, thats where your driving is coming from, no so bad on the rears

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
i dont do big milages or fast cornering.
I'd stick with some 195s upfront tbh, thats where your driving is coming from, no so bad on the rears

and no emergency stops/hard braking/poor weather/poor road conditions

as you also state - best stick with 195's - they're so cheap anyway

Mckellar

correct - ive never known anyone to suffer from a mild stretch :)

MarkW

Chris
Apr 4, 2007
Edingburgh
well as I said I'm dropping from 195 45 to 195 40. My brother thinks he can get buy one get one "free" from a place tomorrow as well. Well, provided a guy he know's is working there.

I wouldn't call the 40's overly cheap when I been used to paying a maximum of £55 a tyre all my driving life!! Then again I saw a set on a Corrado with 7.5" A's the other day that made the wheels look rather tasty!

jcs356

Cordy owner
Jul 12, 2004
Englandland
Dropping to 40 section instead of 45 section will mean that the rolling circumference of the wheel will be less, so your speedo will over-read (i.e. you will think you are going faster than you actually are). I suppose that is better than it under-reading.

195/40/16 seems like a funny size to me? Thought that the 195/45/16 was a much more popular 'hot hatch' size and hence would be a lot cheaper.

MarkW

Chris
Apr 4, 2007
Edingburgh
yup. 195/45 is a lot more popular. But you don't win points for being the same :lol:

I also know the wheel will under-read. Mind you it came with the standard 5spoke 15's and not the 16's so won't be AS bad.

And as you said, I like having a speedo that says I'm going faster than I am rather than the other way around!! :p

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.