What does you car suck on? (The Induction Kit War)

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
My 8000 mile standard air filter cartridge outflows a new green cotton panel filter by about 5g/sec. It also outflows a dynatwist too. I'm going to try a large open filter next.

I wouldn't go by that tbh.. I've just replaced the standard panel filter on my 225 LCR with a BMC panel filter and I've noticed the smallest amount of extra pull when giving it some beans. Not a massive difference but defo better than standard, sounds beefier too

nobnek

Sorry to sound dum but what do you mean by smoothed.
Is it visually external or are you altering the air box internally.
Lookin at getting induction kit. Was going to go old fashioned K&N.
Thanks for your help.

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Sorry to sound dum but what do you mean by smoothed.
Is it visually external or are you altering the air box internally.
Lookin at getting induction kit. Was going to go old fashioned K&N.
Thanks for your help.

smoothed is the airbox itself, internally done. do a search on this, there's quite a few threads going around about it
don't get a K&N whatever you do!
I've just bought one of these and fitted it today, really pleased with it...

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?id=501667

As I said before, it beefs up the sound of the induction a bit too, so don't waste your time with some power-decreasing open coned induction kit like a K&N! they're poop

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Tom, Logs are a valid means of determing an increase or decrease of air flow. In my opinion an open cone will always outflow a forced induction system, but the noise is more in your face.

foxes

Feb 7, 2005
Bang In The Middle.
Im thinking the Neuspeed P-Flo will acctually be good choice at this time of the year.
Being Aut/Winter,so colder,an open cone could help increase performance.

If its hot in USA and used there, should not be a prob here.
Just like to know if it sounds smooth or aggresive. (we dont want to sound like you know who)!

TDCupra

Mar 4, 2004
Kent
Visit site
smoothed is the airbox itself, internally done. do a search on this, there's quite a few threads going around about it
don't get a K&N whatever you do!
I've just bought one of these and fitted it today, really pleased with it...

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?id=501667

As I said before, it beefs up the sound of the induction a bit too, so don't waste your time with some power-decreasing open coned induction kit like a K&N! they're poop

I've got a Neuspeed P-FLO which uses a K&N open cone filter and its better than the BMC CDA I had. The car pulls harder and is more responsive - even moreso now its nice and cold out! It sounds good too :D

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Any cone filter will outflow an enclosed system, it's been proved time after time, and it will NOT damage your MAF sensor unless it's heavily oiled, Pipercross foam filters are the worst for this.

It is also a MYTH that cone filters suck in hot air and reduce performance. This may have been true on naturally aspirated cars years ago, but not on turbocharged cars. No matter what you have on the end of your MAF, air will always exit the turbo into the intercooler pipework at 120+ degrees, rendering ANY arguement about cold air intakes pointless. What difference does air temperature at the filter make if it's going to be heated to 120+ degrees by the turbo? The intercooler cools the air before it enters the engine, not the filter.

ViolatorDM

In Greece, around 350EUR... Must be something around 350GBP in the UK but not sure... Will upload some VAG-COM data within the next week... Stock was a K/N Filter in the stock air-box...

foxes

Feb 7, 2005
Bang In The Middle.
Mr TDCUPRA. whats the Neuspeed sound like?

Think Robdon is reassuring my thought on open cone filters.
Like i said in U.S ,they use them in HOT climates, so cant be bad in Europe.

porki

Mull Fember
Jul 26, 2007
Tunbridge Wells - Kent
Robdon that's a very good point! on my throttle bodied track saxo i have spent ages trying different ducting and underbonnet scoops etc in an effort to knock mere degrees off the intake temps. but on a turbo the air is getting compressed so is going to get hot as a side-effect....

is there any way that flow rate and intake temp can be logged for the different induction kits / panel filters / open cones, as this would be the true test - obviously different boost levels on remapped cars would affect things but would be very interesting reading!

ViolatorDM

I know this can be done by using VAG-COM for sure... Don't what "blocks" to log against though... Let me have a look and get back...

Seat til I die

Lap Record Holder
Oct 14, 2007
ok reading through page after page of this fascinating thread and being the lcr newb that i am i have a few questions...

what is a forge tip??
how do you achieve a smoothed airbox?? could an unskilled non-mechanic such as myself do this?

ps; i am thinking either ramair or pipercross panel filter with 007p?? but who knows... this could turn out to be a horrible mismatch so please dont hesitate in telling me so!! :)

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
tip = Turbo Intake Pipe - the standard pipe has been known to collapse under high boost and is why people often upgrade this.

smoothed airbox is done with a dremel and some patience, anyone can do it, cupraloon wrote a nice guide on it recently, have a search ;)

i have a ramair and although i am concerned about it killing my maf (just ask DPJ about that) it does sound nice!

STEVEO@CYMRU

Lucky 7
Oct 19, 2003
CAERPHILLY S.WALES
Visit site
i have had standard filter
green panel
green panel with smoothed airbox

and now dynatwist with 3 inch feed straight from where the fogs used to be and i have to say the dynatwist out does them all, more pull more response and sounds better. tho i do find that i have to clean it quiet often but i can live with that

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
i have had standard filter
green panel
green panel with smoothed airbox

and now dynatwist with 3 inch feed straight from where the fogs used to be and i have to say the dynatwist out does them all, more pull more response and sounds better. tho i do find that i have to clean it quiet often but i can live with that

Any before and after logs Steve. I'd like to see if they follow mine.

Seat til I die

Lap Record Holder
Oct 14, 2007
tip = Turbo Intake Pipe - the standard pipe has been known to collapse under high boost and is why people often upgrade this.

smoothed airbox is done with a dremel and some patience, anyone can do it, cupraloon wrote a nice guide on it recently, have a search ;)

i have a ramair and although i am concerned about it killing my maf (just ask DPJ about that) it does sound nice!

thanks ska...
so is it something like this;
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=330030769128&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=014
i wondered what this was, seems expensive for a hose!

and a maf is??? cheers