Ibiza 1.2 Reference noisy engine

ANDREWPS

Hi Folks

Recently bought Ibiza 1.2 on an 05 plate and what I wanted to know is do all 1.2s have noisy engines, I've read other reports saying the 3 cylinder engines are quite vocal and it dawned on me last night what mine sounds like and it is a Citroen 2CV but not as loud. Is this normal?. Car goes fine and performance is ok and engine is quiet at tickover but once you get past 3000 RPM engine sounds very whiney and thrummey. Car has been serviced by Seat so I'm thinking it is the norm as person before would have said something as they had it from new. Not sure whether to take it back to Seat as it's still under warranty but don't want to look daft if that's how they all are. other than that we really like the car.

Cheers

Andrew

cardaft

Apr 21, 2007
I think they are pretty noisey engines, especially when pushed.

Although if i were you i would be inclined to go to the dealer and ask about it, ask if they have a 1.2 for sale and see if they would start it up, get it to running temp and see if it sounds the same as yours.

Antoher thing to do is try to convince them to let you take it for a test drive.

Or get someone to take you or if you have anoter car, to a different dealer and act like you want to buy a 1.2. THen you can give it a good road test and see if its the same.

As in my experience if you say your car isnt running right or its noisey to the dealer they will just turn and say thats how they are. So you want proof really.

Its probably normal though i would think.

Le0nheart

Oct 7, 2007
Eastbourne, England
I used to have an 04 reg 1.2 (I forget which trim it was) and although I never really paid much attention (stereo was always on loud) people who got in the car with me did state it was much louder than my previous car (1.2 clio).

ANDREWPS

Thanks for the advice folks, think I'll book it in to see if everything is ok, don't want to go running it out of warranty and something goes wrong.

Cheers

Andrew

danmay

Fast cars, shooting stars
Mar 25, 2007
Stafford
www.myspace.com
the peak power and torque comes in at about 3000 rpm, it's pretty quiet until then and all hell breaks loose and it sounds pretty loud on mine too.

and it makes a funny whoosh noise when you change gear and come back on the throttle mine does lol, its normal though i think, they just don't like being highly revved i don't think, the fuel needle moves like the speedo above 4000rpm!

chris04 sx

speak up & stop mumbling
Apr 23, 2007
Horsham, W.Sussex
hay guys, i think i can tell u why the 1.2 engine is noisey.... ready.... the engine is chain driven :p!!!!! the chain driving the engine and is very noisey!!! engines with cam belts are much quieter!!! on the plus side we never have to get cam belts changed!!!!! ya :funk:

ettlz

Sep 21, 2006
Plus the fact that it's got three cylinders and a balancer shaft spinning at twice engine speed. There's a lot of moving bits in that engine.

ANDREWPS

Thanks for all your help, don't think I'll bother booking it in now as everything you have said has clarified the issues I had, didn't want it running out of warranty then going bang because when I had a Leon in warranty a spring went and just cos I said it went going over a speed bump at about 4mph they charged me £180 for a new spring as it wasn't covered wish I'd kept my big mouth shut.

Cheers

Andrew

topleya

MK5 Ibiza FR Black 1.2TSI
Nov 23, 2007
i've got a 6month old 07 plate 1.2 Sport and it is louder than some cars but i've been in louder 1.2's before.

keep it under 3000rpm and its nice and smooth and little noise, push it over and it will get noisier but its cool, turn the music up a bit or stop speeding, lol.

Can't complain though find another car on the road for the same price brand new that looks amazing, feel great and is jammed with features and fittings and looks more expensive than it is.

Corsa = over rated sh*tpile thats won car of the year coz the whole nation of chav's have at least one each and make it worse.

Ibiza = Brilliant

Mar 10, 2020
Hi Folks

Recently bought Ibiza 1.2 on an 05 plate and what I wanted to know is do all 1.2s have noisy engines, I've read other reports saying the 3 cylinder engines are quite vocal and it dawned on me last night what mine sounds like and it is a Citroen 2CV but not as loud. Is this normal?. Car goes fine and performance is ok and engine is quiet at tickover but once you get past 3000 RPM engine sounds very whiney and thrummey. Car has been serviced by Seat so I'm thinking it is the norm as person before would have said something as they had it from new. Not sure whether to take it back to Seat as it's still under warranty but don't want to look daft if that's how they all are. other than that we really like the car.

Cheers

Andrew
Hi Folks

Cheers

Andrew
Hi there I recently bought a seat ibiza 1.2 petrol running great but when am driving it's making a loud noise was this normal for u