Tesco 99 - lower emmissions?

RobDon

Pro Detailer
My car passed its MOT today with no problems at all, which is very interesting as I've been using Tesco 99 fuel for a while now and it passed the emissions test. Last year on Shell V-Power it failed and in the end only just scraped by after VW put some kind of additive in the fuel tank to get it to pass.

Tesco 99 contains 5% bioethanol which reduce the emissions, it certainly must work because this year it sailed through the emissions test with a 100-cell CAT, whereas last year it struggled to pass with the same hardware and Shell V-Power :D

"We also typically include 5% bioethanol – a clean and pure ultra high-octane component which is also renewable to help cut greenhouse gas emissions."

http://www.greenergy.com/tesco_99_octane/index.html

Well done Tesco ... great fuel!!! :funk:

PS. The smoked dark rear taillights from Germany passed no problem too, so they are MOT legal!

Avant4me

Oct 13, 2005
Bristol
When my car wasn't sick, the tester said it was one of the cleanest cars he had tested. That was running on Tesco 99

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
none in shropshire or hereford as yet. and i look a complete tool walking around the forecourt looking for it.

caveo

iv been using tesco 99 for ages now and i wont use owt else due to more mid range tourqe but the fact it reduces emissions is a nice bonus

mathias.leon

Looks like there will be 10% ethanol mixed in all over EU soon. We already have 5% in regular petrol here in Sweden and 85% (E85) is available everywhere. The E85 price is about 30% lower than petrol. Lots of people mix E85 and regular petrol. Up till 40-50% seems to be no problem, over that you need to boost the fuel injection as ethanol only contains some 75% of the energy per volume compared to petrol. Too much ethanol will increase fuel consumption because of the lesser energy contained while a modest mix will lower fuel consumption because of the higher octane.

Seat Altea 1,6 E85, Altea XL 1,6 E85 and Leon 1,6 E85 may be ordered in Sweden since yesterday.

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
comments noted about the fuel robbie
mines due jan and not looking forward to the 100cel cat issue...

RobDon

Pro Detailer
With my 100-cell CAT I always struggled to pass emissions every year, this year using Tesco 99 it sailed through, VW didn't even mention the emissions, they just phoned me and told me my car had passed with no problems!

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
any idea what the stuff they had used in the past to get it through
im aware there are additives out there they add to fuel before they test it, might be worth me finding some and putting it in before i take it for test

i just want it to pass

lukecupra2001

Smoogie And Proud
Jul 25, 2005
middlesbrough
i got my mot in the morning and i gota 100cell milltek on my cupra and im pooing my pants!i hope it passes!thankfully i spotted this thread a few weeks ago and swapped from v-power to tesco 99 so hopefully ill be fine if rob was

karlosR

TORQUEY, NOISEY V6
Mar 10, 2006
BEDFORD
i always use tesco 99 and had my MOT last week. i was as sick as a parrot when it wouldn't pass the emissions test. [:@] it turned out there was a fault with their machine so when they re-tested it my car sailed through............. if they had decided to fail it i would have had an unroadworthy car through no fault of my own. i wonder how many times that has happened before?

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
never updated this

mine failed even on tesco 99, it didnt make any difference to the readings and the car ran like a 3 legged dog

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.