Remote Tailgate Button

DANNY H

Mar 27, 2006
Ipswich
Hello Guys,

Quick question, we have a Leon in our workshop and we are getting no response from the tailgate release button on the remote. Does this normally pop the tailgate? Is there a secret squirrel trick to this or a dealer job?

Cheers

DaveI

Oct 5, 2007
I was confused at first too, on my Octavia the boot popped open if you held the button down for a few seconds. On the Leon it just flashes the indicators but the boot does actually open, when you put the boot lid back down it locks back up automatically.

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
Is there actually any benefit to having this button?, as the boot unlocks as part of the central locking anyway...

SEATcarsdirect.co.uk

Is there actually any benefit to having this button?, as the boot unlocks as part of the central locking anyway...

Benifit is it doesn't allow people to run into your car when your getting stuff out the boot

not only that after you have unlocked it you can put your keys back in your pocket so as soon as you shut the boot it locks

Irfan

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
Benifit is it doesn't allow people to run into your car when your getting stuff out the boot

not only that after you have unlocked it you can put your keys back in your pocket so as soon as you shut the boot it locks

Irfan

Useful to know thanks. Didn't realise that it automatically locked again when the boot is shut.

Could mean that you accidentially lock your keys in the boot though...

Thinking about it, it isn't a good feature that it auto locks. If I've been out biking or walking I would often rest the keys in the boot while getting changed, if I accidentially shut the boot without taking the keys out, I'd be a bit stuck...

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
Useful to know thanks. Didn't realise that it automatically locked again when the boot is shut.

Could mean that you accidentially lock your keys in the boot though...

Thinking about it, it isn't a good feature that it auto locks. If I've been out biking or walking I would often rest the keys in the boot while getting changed, if I accidentially shut the boot without taking the keys out, I'd be a bit stuck...

you could cycle/walk home and get your spare set phil! :p

flakmunky

Olympic Knitting Champion
Aug 23, 2005
Marmitehampton
Yeah, it doesn't protect against Senior Moments unfortunately... ;)

I think its largely a solution to a problem that never existed... I have used it - when I have remembered - but I think this 'feature' is more a result of some bored VAG technicians thinking "Ooo! Our shiny new ECU lets us do all sorts of stuff... So what should we do?!" more than anything. It would make sense to me if the boot opened electrically as well, but obviously it doesn't. Maybe its a left over from the Audi range?

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
'we' use it when 'we' go to the metrocentre and end up with more stuff than 'i' can carry. quick trip back to the car, dump it in the boot, the off 'we' go for more.
i actually find it quite useful.

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
It does have its plus points, thinking about it a lot of cars manually lock in the same way anyway. For example the Mrs's Ford Ka boot locks as soon as its shut.

I'm suprised though that my R reg Fiesta costing half as much new at the Cupra has a electric boot release but no car I've had since does...

flakmunky

Olympic Knitting Champion
Aug 23, 2005
Marmitehampton
Hey Chris,

When I said 'I' have used it, I did of course mean 'we' have used it... :) In exactly the same manner as you describe.

Where would you be without SWMBO's shopping trips, though?!

Maybe not in a Leon...!

jimbo_FRDSG

It does have its plus points, thinking about it a lot of cars manually lock in the same way anyway. For example the Mrs's Ford Ka boot locks as soon as its shut.

I'm suprised though that my R reg Fiesta costing half as much new at the Cupra has a electric boot release but no car I've had since does...

I agree but wonder if its some sort of security thing now for hatchbacks :think:....I had an almost new Focus Ghia prior to the FR and I was surprised it didn't even have it because my Honda Accord before that did but a saloon.....very handy being able to pop the boot half-open when picking up folk with luggage/messages.

More to the point why oh why did Seat scrimp on not having a 'boot open' warning as with the other 4 doors on something as costly as an FR....makes no sense to me at all.
I guess the warning is when you hear it thump as you trundle down the road....as I found out. :redface:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
Come to think of it my T reg Focus Zetec did have a boot release as I had to get it fixed at one point. The Astra SRi and Celica both didn't though but both were just off the central locking.

Didn't realise there was no warning light... The Mrs was always not shutting the boot properly on the Celica.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.