cigerete socket

Mike90

hi all

does anyome know how to remove the cigerete lighter to replace the light behind it.

Thanks

joonspoon

175hp. 275lbs/ft.
Nov 18, 2006
Oxfordshire
To the best of my knowledge the whole centre console has to come out.

As a point of interest was it ever lit in the first place?
I've had the console out in my 06 car and a light was never fitted!

Regards Guy.

joonspoon

175hp. 275lbs/ft.
Nov 18, 2006
Oxfordshire
Having checked I'm certain the centre console does come out.
The bulb holder makes the lighter bigger underneath the trim and thus it has to come out from behind
Hope this diagram helps.
It's a bit fiddly but take your time and it does come out without damage.

Centreconsoleremoval.jpg

Regards Guy.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
cigarette socket is not illuminated on the mk4 I don't think

I have illuminated mine by fitting a mk3 lighter socket from the dealers (the illuminated ring is the correct colour and has a bulb in it already)and running a wire from the traction control button illumination

Last edited:

Mike90

rite enough it didn't light up when i bought it, but i just thought that tha bulb had gone, and no one bothered replacing it.

Cheers for the info, greatly appreciated.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
oh and BTW the console does not need to come out

put your finger in the lighter socket, bend your finger and pull it out, when fitting the illuminated one just insert it bulb first (it does fit fine)

I may have a pic

joonspoon

175hp. 275lbs/ft.
Nov 18, 2006
Oxfordshire
oh and BTW the console does not need to come out

put your finger in the lighter socket, bend your finger and pull it out, when fitting the illuminated one just insert it bulb first (it does fit fine)

I may have a pic

Surely the console has to come out to fit a new lighter because of the lack of wiring?
If you could give a bit more info it would be much appreciated mate.
Is the light on all the time or does it come on when the lights are switched on?

Regards Guy.

Last edited:

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
here goes

like many others my lighter socket did not illuminate don't think any mk4's do
I bought a mk3 ibiza illuminated one from the stealers for about £5 so that the red illumination is the correct colour

stick your finger into the lighter socket and bend/hook your finger then pull and the old lighter socket comes out with wires attached by spade connectors

plug the spade connectors onto the new mk3 lighter socket, then find the wire that illuminates the traction controll button lamp (this is ignition switched and can be seen through the hole where your lighter socket was) and connect a new wire to this and connect it to the mk3 lighter socket illumination bulb

the mk3 lighter socket will insert into the hole where the original one was but it will need to be carfully inserted by inserting/clipping in the illuminating ring first then inserting/clipping the lighter socket into that

does that help?

Last edited:

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I did this mod bloody ages ago but when I posted up about it I got no interest so I thought I must be odd in wanting it to be illuminated :shrug:

also done the glove box but left the boot as it was

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.