Complete respray required?- Faded Ovni

Al_G

Jan 12, 2006
Manchester
It always seems to be reds and yellows (regardless of the car manufacturer) that fade. Shocking in my opinion and I guess the only way to delay the inevitable is to keep topping up with a quality polish and wax...

Sorry to hearthe bad news mate. £1500 for a full respray sounds quite cheap, I was expecting it to be more...

bcstudent

Boost FTW
Apr 17, 2005
Norwich, UK
My LC is red. Now I'm scared.

I used to keep the car in a garage, but now it sits on the drive. I'm not one for cleaning it that often either. I'm definitely asking for trouble.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Reds and Yellows and any other pigments that use high percentages of those colours in their make-up tend to score poorly on the blue wool scale.

The blue wool scale is an industry adopted standard for the measurement of colour lightfastness. It was developed for testing textiles originally hence the name, but other industries involved in colour, paint, automotive and commercial printing all use this standard now.

They achieve this test by making 2 identical colour samples, they place one in the dark without any exposure to UV light and the other to direct sunlight or the UV equivalent, for roughly a 3 month period. The 2 samples are then compared against one another to see the amount of fading that has taken place. The results are rated between 0 and 8. With 0 being the worst and 8 the best, an 8 would be deemed to be perfect lightfastness.

In printing we use some special pigments that are mixed with other agents to give them lightfast properties. These are mainly the reds and yellows, oranges some purples too. But of all the colours we use, those pigments are more often than not the ones that will give the lowest blue wool scale.

It's the UV in sunlight that does the damage, there are polishes and sealants I believe that help to block out UV's harmful effect. Suncream for the car anyone!

Seems that fading is the price you pay for some colours. Doesn't really offer a solution, the industry I am in is of course quite different to the automotive paints industry. But in colour typically many of the same rules apply.

Last edited:

bud-weis

Jan 27, 2008
Absolutely....once the car is sprayed it will be protected with the good quality waxes that keep out UV rays.

If you own a red or yellow car that hasn't faded yet, then get it to me ( lol ) or another detailer for a few coats of wax!! then top up once a month yourselves :D

OFI

Sep 5, 2007
Salisbury
got my LC rear bumper sprayed after some silly coo drove into me cost £150 for the job. it was black magic metallic. The body shop did an outstanding job colour match was perfect.

Ah that sounds about right, would be the sort of cost I would be willing to pay (I would expect a 2nd hand boot in good condition to be pricey given the glass included..)

I don't know if mine's magic or not but its certainly black. :)

flappy

Ferociously Rapid
Mar 28, 2007
I thought that seat had an extended warranty on body work. Might be worth asking them?

bud-weis

Jan 27, 2008
OK.... i just gave my local dealer a call...they were very pleasant and friendly.

they have given me the number for a body shop...i am popping there this afternoon for them to assess the extent of the work.

The lady said the car had a 6yr paint warranty...so maybe, just maybe i may get something out of this. :D

oedwards

Jul 11, 2005
CR6.UK
www.banter-box.com
Hi... did anything come of this? Have you had the work done? I am in the exactly same boat. The bonnet is nearly white spilling over to the wings. The boot cap is a different colour and so is the plastic spoiler. It looks nasty and having lived with it for nearly two years I am now fed up and want it looking good for the next year or so before I sell it on.

It has a 6 year paint defect warranty I believe because it is galvanised but I was informed this only covers things like rust. Two of my local dealers told me to get stuffed as it is not a warranty claim. They said it was the result of a bad paint job most likely after a crash. I brought the car at 10,000 miles from SMC Winsor and there was and still is absolutely zero evidence of it ever being in a prang/crash. What I am going to do in the next few weeks is get the AA or similar to do a check on it to prove it has no evidence of a crash then write to the head office and have a good old moan.

I have a mate of a mate (good painter I have been told) that will do it for a grand but that isn’t the point. If I were looking to get another one of Seat and spend 17K this type of service and quality would put me right off. However my next car won’t be a SEAT as I want to try something else but they don’t need to know that.

bud-weis

Jan 27, 2008
Hi... did anything come of this? Have you had the work done? I am in the exactly same boat. The bonnet is nearly white spilling over to the wings. The boot cap is a different colour and so is the plastic spoiler. It looks nasty and having lived with it for nearly two years I am now fed up and want it looking good for the next year or so before I sell it on.

It has a 6 year paint defect warranty I believe because it is galvanised but I was informed this only covers things like rust. Two of my local dealers told me to get stuffed as it is not a warranty claim. They said it was the result of a bad paint job most likely after a crash. I brought the car at 10,000 miles from SMC Winsor and there was and still is absolutely zero evidence of it ever being in a prang/crash. What I am going to do in the next few weeks is get the AA or similar to do a check on it to prove it has no evidence of a crash then write to the head office and have a good old moan.

I have a mate of a mate (good painter I have been told) that will do it for a grand but that isn’t the point. If I were looking to get another one of Seat and spend 17K this type of service and quality would put me right off. However my next car won’t be a SEAT as I want to try something else but they don’t need to know that.

I visited the approved body work shop, the manager said the car needs a full respray, but unfortunately for me the warranty only covers perforation/corrosion.

my car is nearly 6 yrs old though and the customer services lady said they definitely won't cover fading....if your car is less than 3yrs old you may have more chance though.

I personally think it stinks though..very poor indeed on Seat's behalf.

As much as i like my LCR, i don't think i'll ever touch another SEAT....compared to Audi's and BMW's i've had before, the whole package is way off, although i suppose you get what you pay for!

oedwards

Jul 11, 2005
CR6.UK
www.banter-box.com
It is an 02 LCR so we are defo in the same boat. It does stink big time. VW/Audi/Scoda all have the same issue when it comes to yellow paint. Next time you see a 5/6 year old yellow A3 stop and have a look because I bet it will have the same issue.

How much were you quoted to get it done? Also, any tips on how to induce corrosion? :)

bud-weis

Jan 27, 2008
It is an 02 LCR so we are defo in the same boat. It does stink big time. VW/Audi/Scoda all have the same issue when it comes to yellow paint. Next time you see a 5/6 year old yellow A3 stop and have a look because I bet it will have the same issue.

How much were you quoted to get it done? Also, any tips on how to induce corrosion? :)

[email protected] do have some but the corrosion has to be from inside out for them to sort it, probably meaning new panels etc!

i've been quoted £1500 so far...from a guy i know does a really really good job, lso waiting on another quote from a mate...should be a little cheaper, i could ask about 2 for one deals? lol.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.