your views on oil flush additives

robertnitro

Jan 20, 2008
hi i was just wondering what everyones view on oil flush additives is,ive heard lots of mixed reports elsewhere,the one that crops up most is that it can actualy cause oil starvation by moving the sludge into one lump and blocking oil intake.anyone with experience? also how do you rate stuff like this http://www.ecotekplc.com/ecotek_100.htm cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

G223

Dec 6, 2007
never needed it, oil change every 5000 miles with 10/40 semi synthetic, and never needed any internal engine work in past 40000 miles weve had it

Grayboy

Jan 31, 2005
Beckenham
hi i was just wondering what everyones view on oil flush additives is,ive heard lots of mixed reports elsewhere,the one that crops up most is that it can actualy cause oil starvation by moving the sludge into one lump and blocking oil intake.anyone with experience? also how do you rate stuff like this http://www.ecotekplc.com/ecotek_100.htm cheers

Used 2 flushes of the Wynn stuff every car I've ever bought and if previous owner was a bit suspect then change the oil & water pumps (at least take the sump off see what little presenst are in there) then another oil change after 7-800 miles then just back to the normal 3000mile rule with good quality oil & never had a problem!!

If you've got sludgy oil I'd get it professionally done for peice of mind!

Mckellar

I'm canging my oil hopefully on sunday coming, what have people been using on here?

Ive used a redex additive before getting my oil changed, it gets any oil unstuck etc.

Never had a problem with my 2 ibizas regarding oil since using this

robertnitro

Jan 20, 2008
my oils getting on for 2000 odd miles now,gona do a change to see if it helps really noisy lifters,just wondering if its a sludgy buildup thats makin them noisy.
Are the lifters prone on these engines (AEX) im at 82000miles?

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
I've always used the Wynn's engine flush. Never had any problems with it. Whether it works or not is anyone's guess but it definitely didn't do it any harm.

Mig

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
I've always used the Wynn's engine flush. Never had any problems with it. Whether it works or not is anyone's guess but it definitely didn't do it any harm.

Mig

same here but usually use the Forte one as its more available for me but only on real cruddy wagons that need it imho

cant see how it can sludge up anywhere as the oil comes out like water after its been run a while

just DONT drive with it in for heavens sake - leave it ticking over as per instructions or you will do some damage

Pedro

IMO, no, no and no!

If you are doing regular oil changes, and warming the oil through before draining there is no need for it all - all it may do is break down the oil films on the bearings, which certainly doesn't have any benefit.

If you have a car that you have just bought and the oil is sludged up then it can cause serious damage. Washing the deposits off so rapidly can result in some of them blocking the oilways, and the new clean oil you put in will not be able to get through to work - knackered engine. In this situaition it's best to change the sludged up oil, and then change this new oil again a few hundred miles later, and perhaps even once more in really bad cases. This will ensure the new oil washes the deposits away slowly, and greatly reduces the chances of blocking an oilway.

Use an oil that has high detergent value for this interim period to help with the cleaning.

If flushes were any benefit on a standard oil change then it would be made part of the service schedule, after all it would be another chance for the dealers to relieve you of more cash!

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
If flushes were any benefit on a standard oil change then it would be made part of the service schedule, after all it would be another chance for the dealers to relieve you of more cash!

most dealers do - must admit on a normal well serviced and regular maintained car you shouldn't need one

never used one in the ibiza yet - but some bad treated cars can benefit from it

robertnitro

Jan 20, 2008
so pedro how would i go about finding how much detergent value an oil has,im used to just looking for 10w40 spec.does it have another rating for detergents?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members