broken passenger seat mechanism!!

nelsonsdad

Just spent a frustrating afternoon trying to repair the tilt/slide mechanism on my ibiza which decided to break all by itself this morning. Stripped the seats down as much as i dare and one of the cables seems to have stretched so it no longer operates the latch. managed to cobble it together for now with a couple of cable ties and tilting the seat is now a two person job. Am i missing something obvious or is a repair a dealer job? Anyone else had this problem?:(

iceman88

Guys i know this is a very old post, but i cant seem to find help anywhere else, in my Mk4 the passenger seat seems to have the same problem, i tried searching the forum i couldnt get no where and this is the only post that comes up in google.

I have a Seat ibiza mk4 56 plate 1.4 sport. Red. its only on 11,000 miles and the passenger side seat the mechenizim on the side of the seat where you pull it up, it only catches one of the cables.

I brought the car, and i dont think its got warranty as the previous buyer didnt mention it being a insurance write off before. i've had the car for 6 months and now the seat is broken.

Any help appricated,

Also is this a easy job to fix your self? is it easy to take off the cover? Thnx in advanced.

Last edited by a moderator:

iceman88

even though the car was a insurance write off for Rear End Damage?

I just dont want them to book it in and then charge me for it. thanks for the response though,

Any other suggestions?

iceman88

lol, ok thanks,

I'll take it there and just try my luck anyhow. :D

I was just thinking if it isnt a big problem i'd do it my self.... hehe

Poverty

even though the car was a insurance write off for Rear End Damage?

I just dont want them to book it in and then charge me for it. thanks for the response though,

Any other suggestions?

I cant see there been a issue as long as the people who repaired it used VAG parts and are VAT registered. I doubt they will know if it was a write off anyway, and if they do want to charge you, they should inform you before carrying out the work.

a11y

2 wheels better...
Jul 18, 2007
Central Scotland
Funny someone should bring this up today as my passenger seat mechanisms knackered now too (just happened yesterday...

I too can't find any info on how to fix it myself by searching. Is this something I can sort myself or is it a trip to the dealer (still got a few months left under warranty). I'm happy to give it a try myself it it's not too much of a faff.

Cheers
Ally

a11y

2 wheels better...
Jul 18, 2007
Central Scotland
Bloody 10 pence piece :doh:

That's what was jamming the mechanism, and the cable's snapped as a result. Car's booked in to get it sorted on Friday but is a big job as the whole seat needs to come out and be partially dismantled apparently. But top marks to the dealer who says they'll do it under warranty when officially it was my (or, more likely, a passengers) fault for the coin getting in there in the first place. Although I'd have to say not the best design: coins tend to fall out of your pocket when you sit down after all...

Ally

iceman88

yes, indeed, i now have mine sorted. Didnt go to the dealer, a friend of mine who is a mechanic just said let me have a look, i started stripping the seat, half way up and then he tells me what you doing.

I told him about the cable being loose and not catching, and all he did was twist the latches and move them, after about 5 mins of fiddling with the latches, it came back in to place and worked normally... Beats me boy.

Anyhow what he said was that the springs that operate the latches are weak and that its now become loose thats why it didnt have the power to pull the latch back, he said he managed to get the lactch back in place and now the spring is pulling, however you can see there is a slight seperation between the coils.

Thanks for all the info Guys.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.