I think im going to start saving for a Cupra

Benji

Dec 29, 2008
Cambs
As the title says, i think ive decided to set myself one hell of a challenge and start saving the pennies so i can buy a Cupra.

At the moment im driving a 1.6 SE 01 plate and i had to save pretty hard for that. It cost me £3,995 last Feb and it's my first car. I think it took me around 8 months to save £4000 although i did spend quite a bit at christmas, bought myself a PS3 which wasn't cheap!
This time though, i do have a car to sell which would help massively.

Insurance was a ridiculous £1200 for the year! Purely because i have no driving experience and i was 20 at the time.
With my 1 year's no claims bonus, insurance was £620 for this year. Half what i was paying last year!

I've done some insurance quotes on a cupra (180) and it's back to the drawing board at £1000-£1300 for the year! That's with 2 years no claims bonus as it will take me around a year to save enough, so if i watch myself i'll hopefully have 2 years ncb in a years time.

I've gone through the saving process before and im willing to do it again, but i was just wandering what your thoughts were really?
At 21-22 am i too young to be driving a cupra? I personally dont think so, it will be a jump or about 80bhp which is a lot, but i think quicker cars as safer in a lot of ways and i dont drive particularly fast anyway.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
I've gone through the saving process before and im willing to do it again, but i was just wandering what your thoughts were really?
At 21-22 am i too young to be driving a cupra? I personally dont think so, it will be a jump or about 80bhp which is a lot, but i think quicker cars as safer in a lot of ways and i dont drive particularly fast anyway.

what a very mature attitude! i think saving for a cupra is a brilliant idea! many choose to get into loan debt etc. saving up is the better way.

as to your age? its more about attitude for me than years behind the wheel. you can drive a veyron with consideration for other road users... or you can kill yourself or others by thinking your a god and not knowing yours or the cars limitations. its a fast car and being turboed the power comes it differently to a non turboed engine, especially if the cars remapped, which in bad road conditions takes some getting used to. all good fun though :)

at your age insurance wont be cheap but if your happy to pay why not.

good luck with your saving mate[B)]

warren_cox

Back from the dead
If you decide to do it I would recommend maybe doing an IAM course or another advance driver type experience to give you some familiarity with the extra ooomph. Power is nothing without control!! May even help with your insurance, it not your own welfare and safety.

By the sounds of it you've got a sensible head on you so why put off till tomorrow what you can do today if you can save up and afford it.

Benji

Dec 29, 2008
Cambs
what a very mature attitude! i think saving for a cupra is a brilliant idea! many choose to get into loan debt etc. saving up is the better way.

as to your age? its more about attitude for me than years behind the wheel. you can drive a veyron with consideration for other road users... or you can kill yourself or others by thinking your a god and not knowing yours or the cars limitations. its a fast car and being turboed the power comes it differently to a non turboed engine, especially if the cars remapped, which in bad road conditions takes some getting used to. all good fun though :)

at your age insurance wont be cheap but if your happy to pay why not.

good luck with your saving mate[B)]

Oh thanks mate :)
I shudder at the thought of a loan, even though i dont doubt i will love the new car, there will be that period when i'd still be paying for it months later.
Look at what borrowing money does to people!

Yeah thats a good point about the attitude, i can't put a price on my life so dont want to be a 'boy racer' and go and do something stupid.
Also its a very good point about the tubo kicking in, i didnt think about that and this is part of my immaturity with cars and i need people like you to point these things out and i'll hopefully learn some more and take them into consideration.

I must admit i want a Cupra as much for the looks as i do for the power and potential power they have. I was thinking about getting some new alloys and colour coding my 1.6 but it would all be a bit of a waste because the car i really want is a Cupra.
I've watched my brother just get some new £400 alloys and cant help but think it's not a GTI or 4Motion etc... and he's pushing himself further back towards getting one.
It's fun to modify cars a little and it is a bit of a hobby for some, but i could just buy the one i want with the bodykit, the alloys and the engine manufacturer fitted.

Benji

Dec 29, 2008
Cambs
If you decide to do it I would recommend maybe doing an IAM course or another advance driver type experience to give you some familiarity with the extra ooomph. Power is nothing without control!! May even help with your insurance, it not your own welfare and safety.

By the sounds of it you've got a sensible head on you so why put off till tomorrow what you can do today if you can save up and afford it.

Also that is a very good point.
I've never heard of the IAM course but it sounds like it could be beneficial and i do admit i have always wanted to know what to do if i were to slip on ice or basically how to control a spin.

I'm thinking about selling some stuff on ebay aswell, even cancelling my sky tv contract.
As i sit here though the Spurs game is on behind me and being a yid i couldnt do that! :p

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
Sorry to hijack the thread but im pretty much in the same kind of situation however after owning my 1.6 S for a year, iv spent a lot of money gettin it to look like a cupra and also making sure that its in tip top condition therefore mechanically its 100% sound! Along with the fact i would do all the work myself and saving around 3-4k by not buying a cupra.

Im considering dropping an engine in of the 20VT variety or a V5, but at 21 with 1 years NCB, im just wondering how mr insurance company will this type of change?

Good luck with the saving btw! it really is a buyers market at the mo!

Jimski

Benji

Dec 29, 2008
Cambs
Sorry to hijack the thread but im pretty much in the same kind of situation however after owning my 1.6 S for a year, iv spent a lot of money gettin it to look like a cupra and also making sure that its in tip top condition therefore mechanically its 100% sound! Along with the fact i would do all the work myself and saving around 3-4k by not buying a cupra.

Im considering dropping an engine in of the 20VT variety or a V5, but at 21 with 1 years NCB, im just wondering how mr insurance company will this type of change?

Good luck with the saving btw! it really is a buyers market at the mo!

Jimski

I do think mr insurance would be rubbing his hands with glee at the thought of the new engine, as he was with me getting my 1.6 with no driving experience! and how he will be if i do get a Cupra! :rolleyes:

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
Haha i pay 700 at the mo fully comp with all mods, had quotes for about 1000-1100 on a standard cupra, so i think i may investigate my possibilities!!

Jimski

Benji

Dec 29, 2008
Cambs
Yeah i got quoted around £1200 for a standard 180 Cupra. The fact that i paid £1200 last year and managed ok has helped me make my mind up that a Cupra is affordable with some patience and self discipline.
I was a bit naive with my first insurance contract and when i rang them up they bombarded me with extras and i said yes to some.

This time it was all done online, i didnt speak to anyone and it's much, much cheaper. I do have a years no claims but those extra's really bumped the price up last time!

kineticz

Forever moddin'
Jul 23, 2008
Shropshire
www.wepaintanypart.co.uk
Where are you guys getting quotes so cheaply? I'm 20 with 2 years NCB and paying £1400 on my 20vt! Maybe that's because of my age though? But didn't think there'd be much difference between 20-21 insurance wise.

Benji

Dec 29, 2008
Cambs
I just used confused and go compare.
Might be because of your age, i think these days a small difference is at least £100.
Insurance companies are brutal aswell.

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
Where are you guys getting quotes so cheaply? I'm 20 with 2 years NCB and paying £1400 on my 20vt! Maybe that's because of my age though? But didn't think there'd be much difference between 20-21 insurance wise.

I found a massive difference between 20 and 21; ie: ~£2000 when 20 and ~£1500 when 21 (LCR), at 22 with 1 years no claims will be £1100ish with remap etc declared :)

Cammage

Turbo Time...
Oct 16, 2007
Leeds
If u can save, and realy want a cupra, all i can say is do it! I got my cupra when i was 21. I went from a 06 1.4 Sxi+ corsa to my cupra :) what a jump that was, but well worth it.

Benji

Dec 29, 2008
Cambs
If u can save, and realy want a cupra, all i can say is do it! I got my cupra when i was 21. I went from a 06 1.4 Sxi+ corsa to my cupra :) what a jump that was, but well worth it.

i think i can save, i saved up for my current car from scratch. Back then though i didnt have as many monthly outgoings, but also on the flip side of the coin i didnt have a car to sell either.

It is a challenge but i've wanted a Cupra ever since i started looking at cars 2-3 years ago if i set my mind to it, be patient and disciplined im sure i'll do it. :)

mr0709

life at 180bhp ...is good
Feb 12, 2008
I've just taken the plunge and pick my LC up this week

Im paying 1200 for the year and I'm 19 which I thought was a good price considering power and desirability

Benji

Dec 29, 2008
Cambs
Sometimes to cure boredom what I have done in the past is just drive into my nearest shopping centre and buy various things, mostly clothes, but also I'd pop into subway or mcdonalds kfc etc...
It all adds up! So as I will have to stop doing that, I think Call of Duty will get played more than ever! ;)

Also whats the best way to go about selling a car?
May sound stupid, but do i list it on autotrader? e-bay? or go to one of those 'we will buy your car' places?
When i say the 'best way' i mean what method should fetch the most moolah? :D

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
give it a proper wash inside and out; get some decent pictures (not mobile phone pics ;)) advertise it on the for sale section of here, or maybe pistonheads?

smokescreen

Sometimes to cure boredom what I have done in the past is just drive into my nearest shopping centre and buy various things, mostly clothes, but also I'd pop into subway or mcdonalds kfc etc...
It all adds up! So as I will have to stop doing that, I think Call of Duty will get played more than ever! ;)

Also whats the best way to go about selling a car?
May sound stupid, but do i list it on autotrader? e-bay? or go to one of those 'we will buy your car' places?
When i say the 'best way' i mean what method should fetch the most moolah? :D

Shopping out of boredom? You women , get a hobby :p

Avoid the 'we will buy your car' places, no doubt they'll give some silly offer.

As for selling right now, its really a buyers market with credit pretty much returning to the traditional 'lend if they can actually afford' ways. There's a good chance it'll remain this way for a while, so if your looking to sell, do so quickly and after January.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members