Shopping List Please Help...

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
Hi Buddy.

I am only just starting to realise that after all my years of cleaning my car every Sunday that I have been doing it wrong.

So I am now looking to go out and get all the stuff I need to look after my Ibiza.

I need a wash mit, but which one ?

Car shampoo, but which one ?

Restore my black bits like skirts, which product ?

Shammy or mircofibre towel ??? which one ?

Please help.

cheers
Dan

Last edited:
Hi Dan,

To wash your car correctly you will need the following.

2 Buckets, A good shampoo, a lambswool wash mitt and for drying a good microfibre drying towel.

The point in the 2 bucket method is as follows,

You fill one with of the buckets with hot water with your choosen sudds and the other half full with warm plain water. The point being that you wash a panel or less with the sudds (Wash Bucket) and then rinse the wash mitt in the plain (Rinse Bucket) between panels.

This prevents cross contamination.

What you will end up with at the end is a full backet of dirty water and a half empty bucket of clean water with sudds.

You have the option to snow foam the car prior to this to remove as much dirt as you can before you touch your car but if this is not possible then a good rinse with a PW will do instead.

As for your wash mitt the Meguiars Lambswool Wash Mitt is a good all rounder.

http://www.prestigepolish.co.uk/item/Meguiars_Wash_Meguiars-Lambswool-Wash-Mitt_1_0_56_0.html

Out of the shampoos I would sugest either of these. Again great all rounders.

http://www.prestigepolish.co.uk/item/Zaino_Wash_Z7-Show-Car-Wash_1_0_84_0.html

http://www.prestigepolish.co.uk/ite...ick--Suds-Concentrated-Car-Wash_1_0_68_0.html

If you can get hold of clear buckets it's easier to see if you should change your rinse bucket water or not during the wash. Sometimes you might feel that it's a little dirty to rinse the mitt so it can be a good idea to change the rinse bucket water midway.

Hope this helps.

Any more info just give us a shout or PM us your number and we will call you to discuss further. :D

Lee.

Mat

I have to rubbish boys mitts and love them! got one large megs one, but not had chance to use that yet!

Order received.

Thank you.

I will get that out this afternoon and you should hopefully have it for tomorrow.

With the wash mitt just make sure it's clean after use and wring it out propery also to help keep it long lasting.

Some people hang them away wet and they fall apart after a while.

My personal mitt is now well over a year old and looks new still.

A tip for the buckets:-

B&Q do these:-

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/n...refview=search&ts=1234449022554&isSearch=true

You will see the dirty water through these no problem.

Thanks again,

Lee.

I have to rubbish boys mitts and love them! got one large megs one, but not had chance to use that yet!

I have one of them also but not tried it yet.

I have no need, Can't go wrong with me megs one so will not use untill I need to.

We use Megs at the unit everyday also with no problems.

I have read people only getting 2 months out of them but I think it's all down to use and how they are looked after after use.

I rinse it with clean water then squeeze the water out. Get hold of the black elastic strap round the bottom and swing it around to get any excess water out then simple hang untill next use.

Works a treat fro us.

Lee.

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
just 1 question,

whats better about the fiber towel to the shammy.

i didnt buy one of the towells as i have a brand new shammy at home but just wondered whats so good about them ?:confused:

Mat

great links for the buckets! I have two 14l buckets from Wilkos. Look more like cenemnt buckets LMAO!

might have to buy 2 of those! Beats £20 over priced ones from the pros

any idea if you can get a grit guard to fit the B&Q buckets?

edit: damn, 4 out of 5 B&Qs are out of stock. Only one with them in is somewhere I don't know lol

edit again: found where it is, round corner from my mate! think i'll be dropping him off after work and getting a couple

Last edited by a moderator:
just 1 question,

whats better about the fiber towel to the shammy.

i didnt buy one of the towells as i have a brand new shammy at home but just wondered whats so good about them ?:confused:

Micro fibre towles have a pile depth unlike a leather chamois.

Same reason why we don't use sponges really.

A sponge can trap dirt between it's surface and the paint surface and draggin dirt particles WILL scratch the paint.

Chamois are the same, even tho your car is wash by then dirt can still blow onto your car if outside and you will drag it over the paint causing defects in the top coat.

Lee.

great links for the buckets! I have two 14l buckets from Wilkos. Look more like cenemnt buckets LMAO!

might have to buy 2 of those! Beats £20 over priced ones from the pros

any idea if you can get a grit guard to fit the B&Q buckets?

edit: damn, 4 out of 5 B&Qs are out of stock. Only one with them in is somewhere I don't know lol

edit again: found where it is, round corner from my mate! think i'll be dropping him off after work and getting a couple

No,

Grit guard wont fit.

These buckets are oval shape.

If you go to the builders sectain you will get a clear plastic bucket (about 18ltr) with metal handles, these will fit a grit guard. I think they are meant for mixing plaster or something but they are ideal for us anal lot. :lol:

Think they are about £5 each. Expensive bucket but still 1/5th the price of these:-

http://www.prestigepolish.co.uk/item/Zaino_Wash_Z-Bucket-Screw-Seal-Lid--Grit-Guard_1_0_99_0.html

Lee.

Mat

that's what I mean. The "proper" things cost £20+. Would love 2 dodo juice buckets, but i think they're £20 a pop! Can't justify that for a bucket at the mo.

Starting to get some orders coming in now for details. So once I have more cash, I have an order with Rubbish Boys to purchase (polishing pads, polish, more drying towels and BTBM IIRC). Also in time need to get some Bilberry, 303 Aerospace and maybe a Wookies Fist. Then I may (just may) get some "proper" buckets LMAO....

Hope to try and set up own business. Given myself about 2 years to do it

that's what I mean. The "proper" things cost £20+. Would love 2 dodo juice buckets, but i think they're £20 a pop! Can't justify that for a bucket at the mo.

Starting to get some orders coming in now for details. So once I have more cash, I have an order with Rubbish Boys to purchase (polishing pads, polish, more drying towels and BTBM IIRC). Also in time need to get some Bilberry, 303 Aerospace and maybe a Wookies Fist. Then I may (just may) get some "proper" buckets LMAO....

Hope to try and set up own business. Given myself about 2 years to do it

I'm not sure about that wookies fist. I can't see the point in them being that size. I'm just afraid it will encourage some to try and speed wash their car and miss the point.

303 is a must have for any detailer. I can't live without it now.

Bilberry is great but again I think people use it wrongly IMO. Most apply it neat and everywash. That's not what it's used for. It will strip sealant if used in such ways everytime.

Soapy water is fine for wheels with the correct mitts and brushes. It's ok for a company who is going to seal the wheels afterwards but the general joe shouldn't use it so religiously.

Listen,

We have these buckets sitting in stock and not selling and we don't even use them but then we don't use grit guard either.

Good luck with the business.

Lee.

Mat

Can see where you're coming from with the wookies fist. Think I want one just to say I have one :cartman:

as you say 303 is just a MUST HAVE

Bilberry, I'm aware that it should be diluted. At the mo, I use surfex HD on wheels at about 5% (more if needed).

Cheers fella.

Mat

went to the only B&Q that had some buckets in, and they were sold out when i got there :banghead2:

Last edited by a moderator:

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
Sorry I over looked that.

Poorboy's trim restore is your answer.

Apply it light (more is less) and buff it off with a microfibre. The microfibre will need binned afterwards tho as it will be stained by the rubber.

Here is a 50/50 example of of poorboy's trim restore:-

Thanks again,

Lee.

no worries mate so did i, i will be sure to order some in the next few days.

cheers once again.

Mat

I don't mind picking a couple up for you from my local B&Q if you want and we can send send them on to you.

Plenty in the B&Q here. :D

Lee.

Will get back to you on that! cheers for the offer. Gonna check again around here :D

Will let you know ;)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.