Passenger Airbag Leon 2.0 TFSI FR DSG

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
I have had my Oct 2007 built Leon for 10 days now and loving it.
Still finding my way around re features and am confused about the passenger airbag.

1. I do not have a switch to turn it off, just a blanking plate on right of glovebox
2. I do not have a "Airbag Off" warning light behind gearstick, just a blanking plate
3. I do have "Airbag" embossed on the dash above the glovebox
4. Loads of other "Airbag" labels on centre pillar, seats etc.

Whilst I am sure the Passenger Airbag is fitted I am completely at a loss as to where it would fire from, not that I want to find out the hard way.
I do want to somehow fit a small neon, or something, into the glovebox for illumination without screwing anything up or compromising safety.

Does ANYONE know where it fires from, i.e. does a significant part of the dash explode out somehow, I just cannot figure this out
Apologies if this brings back bad memories to anyone that knows!!!!

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
I have had my Oct 2007 built Leon for 10 days now and loving it.
Still finding my way around re features and am confused about the passenger airbag.

1. I do not have a switch to turn it off, just a blanking plate on right of glovebox
2. I do not have a "Airbag Off" warning light behind gearstick, just a blanking plate
3. I do have "Airbag" embossed on the dash above the glovebox
4. Loads of other "Airbag" labels on centre pillar, seats etc.

Whilst I am sure the Passenger Airbag is fitted I am completely at a loss as to where it would fire from, not that I want to find out the hard way.
I do want to somehow fit a small neon, or something, into the glovebox for illumination without screwing anything up or compromising safety.

Does ANYONE know where it fires from, i.e. does a significant part of the dash explode out somehow, I just cannot figure this out
Apologies if this brings back bad memories to anyone that knows!!!!

The passenger airbag deactivation switch has to be specified as an extra when the dealer orders the car from the factory - its not a standard feature. No switch = no 'airbag off' warning light on the console. The car will have all the airbags - steering wheel, dash, front seats, possibly windscreen pillars and possibly headcloth.
The actual passenger airbag is right in the middle between the outer airvent and the centre console and if deployed it explodes thru the soft dashboard at such a speed there is little or no chance of a piece of the dash plastic getting in the way.

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
Thanks for your prompt reply, it confirms what I thought could be the only solution.

I don't need the on/off switch for the airbag.

Having read many of your helpful posts on here now is there a lampholder which would fit the cut out in the "roof" of the glovebox?, I am not bothered about it being switched unless a SEAT part exists for this, perhaps in the Airbag Key "hole"

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
Thanks for your prompt reply, it confirms what I thought could be the only solution.

I don't need the on/off switch for the airbag.

Having read many of your helpful posts on here now is there a lampholder which would fit the cut out in the "roof" of the glovebox?, I am not bothered about it being switched unless a SEAT part exists for this, perhaps in the Airbag Key "hole"

oddly enough, none of the Leon Mk2's have a courtesy light in the glovebox, which is a real pain and not in keeping with the price of the car :( there is bound to be something which will fit, maybe Golf/A4 etc? Anyone help out here :confused:

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
OK thanks, I have reposted your reply under a new thread with a more appropriate title.
I suppose that is OK?

I will check the vanity light(s) later when I get the car out of it's kennel, see what size they are as I can't remember :idea:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.