Clutch Cable Self Adjusting Mechanism

GTI16v

Jul 6, 2003
Derby
Visit site
I have had to take the pedal box bracket out due to the clutch cable bracket failing, im trying to get the old clutch cable out, but the self adjusting mechanism just wont compress, does it make a difference if the cable is already unhooked from the end of the pedal? (Didn’t have much choice in this one!)

I have ordered a cable from Seat, do you just get a new inner cable or is it the whole lot including the adjuster?

Thanks

Dan

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
Should get the whole lot, I don't think it can be taken apart.

You just pull the white plastic part towards the end of the cable and clip it over the black plastic lugs, I think.

When I did mine, I attached the cable at the clutch end, and then attached to the pedal box afterwards.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
with it attatched to the car press pedal in and get someone to lock it off but if it's off the car already then it's blown out to full adjustment

new cable is the whole lot so don't release it or cut anything off it (you need to leave the straps on)

be 110% sure the cable is located both ends properly before you unhook it mind

you can reset them but ideally it needs to be off the car, vertical and takes ages to learn the knack as it were - plus some spare hands is essential for locking it off when you do manager to reset it, takes practice though :):)

GTI16v

Jul 6, 2003
Derby
Visit site
with it attatched to the car press pedal in and get someone to lock it off but if it's off the car already then it's blown out to full adjustment

new cable is the whole lot so don't release it or cut anything off it (you need to leave the straps on)

be 110% sure the cable is located both ends properly before you unhook it mind

you can reset them but ideally it needs to be off the car, vertical and takes ages to learn the knack as it were - plus some spare hands is essential for locking it off when you do manager to reset it, takes practice though :):)

Ahh I see so as it came off the pedal, its hit full adjustment outwards, and thats why i cant conpress it now as I should?

So the new cable comes complete with a new adjuster and outer cable etc that I need to feed through the bulkhead holes? The haynes manual makes it sound like its just an inner cable and you slide it back into the old outer cable.

Thanks for the help.

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
no probs - you can to a degree reset them with a spare pair if hands but it's a knack i couldn't really tell you how - more a 'feel' sort of thing

can be done though, but to be honest a new cable is usually advised anyway as they are not the most free flowing when aged :)

CIarkie

Jun 12, 2005
Basingstoke
I noticed that my white plastic adjustor is broken and can no longer fit on the lugs. The compression part is always fully open. The adjustor important?:(

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
the white bit is just for holding it closed for removal - to be honest you'll need a new cable more often than removing/refitting it anyway so i wouldnt worry too much

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members