Newbie needs a shopping list!!

bryan2411

Hello all,

Picking up our 54 plate Altea 2.0tdi DSG on tuesday and first on the list is updating the stereo.

I realise there has been loads of stuff about fitting speakers etc which I will get to in a mo if I may, the amount of info on the forum has blown my mind and I can't see the woods for the trees:blink:

I have predominately used this forum and the Nexxia website to try and get a grip on what I need. My intention is to replace the front and rear speakers initially and then look for a replacement head unit as mine (first altea head unit) has not got any aux in for the Ipod touch 2g we currently use. I was also thinking about getting a head unit that allowed bluetooth hands free calling (ie sony mex-bt3600u), cherry on the cake stuff.

But here is the kicker, I want to be able to use the existing steering wheel controls. Am I leading myself into a world of pain or is it more simple than it appears???

Firstly speakers. Nearly everyone has opted for the infinitys. Two points.... 1). What is the latest version of the required speaker that include the directional tweeters?? (cos stuff does get replaced) 2). There are mentions of 16.5cm & 17cm openings, which is it?? I don't want to buy the wrong size!

Does anyone have suggestions or recommendations for alternatives to the infinities?? Did I see JBL's mentioned??

I understand that i need to order a set of adaptors and chop a bit off, use the connectors that come with the kit to plug to existing car wiring, cut the feed to the tweeters and put it all together.

Next comes the head unit............

I need the facsia plate (all on nexxia site), but do i get the one with the built in double din cage?? and can this acccept a cubby hole under??

The OCD in me will need this to be flush and look like it was always meant to be!!;)

Lastly... please bear with me.. the connectors. 1). A wiring harness adaptor, check!!. 2). Stalk control adaptor?????? 3). Arial adaptor (i thought these were all the same).

Any advice or recommendations on head units?? I will be limited on cost (ie not a bottomless well, just looking for good value)

Thanks for bearing with me if you reached the bottom rather than giving up.

Regards

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/veh...720_734.html?cadid=fplh8rjr8pm5um3mkbm2i78tm4

Do you want a double din unit or not ....... so much to choose from! I would consider a really good pair of front components and a 2ch amplifier for those ... then get a reasonable set of components for the rear doors and run them off the headunit.

If you were bothered enough, you could leave the existing speaker wiring inplace and run your own proper stuff - leave the manufacturers bell wire alone :)

Personally I love my alpine unit, also got the BT adapter for it - can now play wireless music in the car as well as make and recieve calls through the speakers - not a messy cable in sight :)s

dlm2310

Rocco Is God !!
Dec 17, 2006
West Yorkshire
All cosmetic it sounds.

Would not recommend buying a 54 reg Altea and I suspect your list will get even longer before long.

Sorry.

dlm2310

Rocco Is God !!
Dec 17, 2006
West Yorkshire
whats wrong with a 54 reg altea?

Too much to go wrong with it.

I've had my 05 Altea since new and it has been a great car and have had no problems with it, however with windscreen starting to delaminate and window motor on the way out I'm starting to think now is the time to get rid.

Whoever buys my car will no doubt say, "What's wrong with an 05 Altea ?"

Also 2 new turbos under warranty and a flywheel, wouldn't fancy having to fork out for parts like that outside warranty.

chrisash32

Altea Driver
Oct 17, 2007
Too much to go wrong with it.

I've had my 05 Altea since new and it has been a great car and have had no problems with it, however with windscreen starting to delaminate and window motor on the way out I'm starting to think now is the time to get rid.

Whoever buys my car will no doubt say, "What's wrong with an 05 Altea ?"

Also 2 new turbos under warranty and a flywheel, wouldn't fancy having to fork out for parts like that outside warranty.

I know the feeling... I am starting to feel the same about my 05 Altea....
Its just one thing after the other now... I have not gone a single month this year without having to spend something on it!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.