Remap question

shauncupra

Jun 19, 2007
Norwich,Norfolk
Hi there,

Ive recently had my lc180 leon mk1 re-mapped and just in a few days 2 coil packs have failed..:blink:

I hear this can be quite common, is this true?

Any replys muchly appreciated

Thanks

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
yup a common thing, they were probably on hte way out and the extra pressure from the map has pushed them over mate.... best to bite the bullet and replace all 4 for piece of mind, as usually once one goes they all will follow shortly.

grab an extra one for the boot aswelll then when the next goes your not stuck pal.

dmmsta

Sold car - bought bike
Feb 10, 2007
Maidstone - Kent
Hi there,

Ive recently had my lc180 leon mk1 re-mapped and just in a few days 2 coil packs have failed..:blink:

I hear this can be quite common, is this true?

Any replys muchly appreciated

Thanks

I had 2 blow on the test run during the map process.
Was flush at the time so ordered 6, replaced all 4 in the car, and kept 2 spare in the boot.

Remap tends to take out the weakest CP's so if you just replace the failed to the other 2 will go at somepoint.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
basically what the others have said. they wont keep failing they are just old and not used to working hard :) once replaced they should be fine

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
mine never went. but my maf did.
i wouldnt bother as whatever you cater for something else will die!
majority of people are fine after mapping.:)

Rarpuc

Jun 28, 2008
west of scotland
Exact same thing happened on my Octy VRS after its remap,1 went then a month later another went so id recommed getting the lot renewed to save you more hassle down the line.

Faisal

UK's 1st Liquid Yello LCR
May 27, 2008
Most likely at work
i lost a coilpack ages ago....replaced that one alone and iv not had a problem since...does that mean my car is a ticking time bomb?im sitting at 83k miles on 3 original coilpacks...

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
I had one go while I was overtaking the wifes 85 year old aunt trundling along in her smart car. Was not funny when she overtook me back a couple of minutes later:lol:

LOL! my maf gave up whilst driving progressively alongside a boxter s. :redface:

they pick their moments

shauncupra

Jun 19, 2007
Norwich,Norfolk
Thanks guys for your replys, im glad to see that it is common thing.
Looks like ill be buying a couple of spares as the coil in cylinder no4 has not been replaced yet.

cheers again

Nutkin

Pop-a-Keg ya?
Aug 24, 2006
Schnaitsee
After my remap experiance and seeing the differences in the little things, I'd say before any remap, make sure the following are new.

1. MAF - My maf worked but it made a 3bhp difference for a new one.
2. Fuel Filter - Goes without question
3. Petrol - Coilpacks
4. EGR Valve is clean - again 3bhp more on mine.

Timberwolf

w1ickeds1ck
Dec 31, 2006
Berkshire!
After my remap experiance and seeing the differences in the little things, I'd say before any remap, make sure the following are new.

1. MAF - My maf worked but it made a 3bhp difference for a new one.
2. Fuel Filter - Goes without question
3. Petrol - Coilpacks
4. EGR Valve is clean - again 3bhp more on mine.

That EGR valve clean only applies to Diesel cars right?

I had my Remapap done by will @P-Torque nearly 2 years ago. My coil pack went straight away after the map, during the test drive.

I replaced all 4 coils, as they are the most common to go. Im going to clean my MAF this weekend coming up along with the Ramair Maxflow CAI. The fuel filter was changed after the remap so I don't think its nessesary just yet.

flak monkey

About the only reason a remap should knock out coil packs is if the dwell is being whacked up too high and burning the coils out.

You may need longer dwell to stop the spark being blown out, but I wouldnt expect it to need to be so high that it kills coils so quickly. They must already be on their design limits with a std map?

Bigbhp18t

About the only reason a remap should knock out coil packs is if the dwell is being whacked up too high and burning the coils out.

You may need longer dwell to stop the spark being blown out, but I wouldnt expect it to need to be so high that it kills coils so quickly. They must already be on their design limits with a std map?

Not true with these engines. If was true then the brand new coil packs would keep failing would they not? Its like a clutch if its been in there a while and worn a remap will finish it off and make it slip with on weeks. Just by adding 3 or 4 psi using a MBC with out any inition advance can knock a old coil out

@ shauncupra
Have you had any issues with the new coils?

shauncupra

Jun 19, 2007
Norwich,Norfolk
Not true with these engines. If was true then the brand new coil packs would keep failing would they not? Its like a clutch if its been in there a while and worn a remap will finish it off and make it slip with on weeks. Just by adding 3 or 4 psi using a MBC with out any inition advance can knock a old coil out

@ shauncupra
Have you had any issues with the new coils?

no problems so far and i have only one coil left possibly to go..
but i have a spare in the boot just incase:whistle:
It did run lovely to Elvington air field in york last weekend for Ten of the Best:D
it goes like a rocket now:funk:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.