Cure for cracked manifolds?

Alps Pacino

Oct 30, 2008
Middlesbrough
I have done a search and noticed that there seems to be problems with either the cast manifolds cracking or the exhaust housings on the ihi turbo warping, the thing is these posts are from 2006. I have just stipped mine down cause it was blowing and have found the Jabbasport cast manifold is badly cracked internally from the round port across the flat face to the outer edge in a few places.

I was just wondering if anybody had managed to come up with a solution as the posts are nearly 3 years old now and i cant be doing with it happening on a regular basis, i basically want to fit and forget.

Its a 2001 ibiza cupra with a vf34 .18 housing if that makes any difference.

Cheers Mark:)

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I have done a search and noticed that there seems to be problems with either the cast manifolds cracking or the exhaust housings on the ihi turbo warping, the thing is these posts are from 2006. I have just stipped mine down cause it was blowing and have found the Jabbasport cast manifold is badly cracked internally from the round port across the flat face to the outer edge in a few places.

I was just wondering if anybody had managed to come up with a solution as the posts are nearly 3 years old now and i cant be doing with it happening on a regular basis, i basically want to fit and forget.

Its a 2001 ibiza cupra with a vf34 .18 housing if that makes any difference.

Cheers Mark:)

yes, choose a different setup, Or turn it down, and monitor EGTs.
Jabba say they have a 4 year warranty on their manifolds so give them a bell

standard manifolds & turbos also crack so there is no such thing as a non-crackable manifold or turbo - comes with the territory

IHI's are known fragile and sensitive on EGT's.
WMI can assist in reducing these temps, combined with a remap to suit, not pushing them so hard.

regards
bill

Alps Pacino

Oct 30, 2008
Middlesbrough
Ye i thought that was what you were going to say, it is running WMI bu think i might get my mapper to set it up with a little less boost as i dont want it happening again, having said that its weird how the exhaust hosing is perfects fine but the manifold has cracked in about 6 places, i'd have thought that if the egt's were high enough to crack the manifold they would have been high enough to crack the exhaust housing also.

I have phoned jabba and he wanted to see some pics but didnt mention anything about a warrenty?

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Ye i thought that was what you were going to say, it is running WMI bu think i might get my mapper to set it up with a little less boost as i dont want it happening again, having said that its weird how the exhaust hosing is perfects fine but the manifold has cracked in about 6 places, i'd have thought that if the egt's were high enough to crack the manifold they would have been high enough to crack the exhaust housing also.

I have phoned jabba and he wanted to see some pics but didnt mention anything about a warrenty?

here ya go... krazykev works @ Jabba

Thanks for your input Bill...

JabbaSport offer a full 5 year guarantee against structural defect as long as the vehicle has been mapped by us.

Sambo.
Our manifolds are ported and flowed and then the inside is ceramic coated yes.
8V #64 Mk2 Racing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by krazykev : 11th December 08 at 10:39.

Posted in this link> http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1630627&postcount=48

My JS manis have all cracked. mapped by them or not. I have run them very hard, and since abandoned that type of installation for my own top mount approach since. (cooler running). given the duty these things experience, there is no such thing as an indestructable turbo/manifold setup

Last edited:

phil_m

Nov 30, 2005
Suffolk
Good luck with getting a replacement, my car has allways been mapped by Jabba and they wouldnt replace mine :(

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Good luck with getting a replacement, my car has allways been mapped by Jabba and they wouldnt replace mine :(

Which was why I was amazed when kev posted up the 5 yr thing on CGTi forum...
needless to say when I mentioned my crazy paved manifold and warranty, it all went immediately quiet.. :whistle: (also mapped by Jabba when it failed)

Its not a slight on Jabba, the mani is what it is, and the environment down there is very hot at the back of the engine bay. Stock manifolds and turbos crack also, its the environment they operate in, let alone when they make more power (and heat)

Give them a bell.. Kev has said there is a 5 yr warranty, maybe not something they shout about perhaps, but he has said it on a public forum

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk

did you ask? (stupid question)

crazykev who works there has said they have a 5 yr warranty on them (which is good, if thats actually true and honoured)

phil_m

Nov 30, 2005
Suffolk
I spoke to Brian regarding mine Bill, And because i had internals done and bored to 1.9 he tried to say that it would of been running lean, yet when Mike adjusted the map directly after having the engine work done he said it was fine., at the time he did offer me a new manifold at a reduced cost which i didn't take up as the cracks were sealing when hot.

Since then the cracks have got worse, and i don't see any EGT over 700 and AFR's are all good. I did send Jabba a email a few months back asking if the offer still stands as the cracks had got worse, but typical Jabba no reply.

Alps Pacino

Oct 30, 2008
Middlesbrough
Its a manifold designed for a big turbo application so should be capable of handling a decent amount of power, i have seen manifolds and exhaust housing glowing red to the point you can see the turbo internals. The thing thats pissing me off is there doesnt seem to be a cure for my problem which is a bit disheartening as i want a quick reliable track car, not a car that needs a new manifold and turbo after every trackday.

Bill could you pm me a price of a top mount and suitable downpipe as i might consider that option if i get no joy with Jabbasport.

Cheers Mark

phil_m

Nov 30, 2005
Suffolk
The manifold is supposedly rated to 1000 deg C with around a operating temperature up to 920 deg C,

Cant see it myself :doh:

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Its a manifold designed for a big turbo application so should be capable of handling a decent amount of power, i have seen manifolds and exhaust housing glowing red to the point you can see the turbo internals. The thing thats pissing me off is there doesnt seem to be a cure for my problem which is a bit disheartening as i want a quick reliable track car, not a car that needs a new manifold and turbo after every trackday.

Bill could you pm me a price of a top mount and suitable downpipe as i might consider that option if i get no joy with Jabbasport.

Cheers Mark

top mount turbo is £1295 if Primary designs one or £950 is heavier wall thickness one... downpipe is a make on car as I dont have this jigged up, I make them to suit, and priced at £375
strongly advised ceramic coating to suit is £299 for manifold and £47/linear foot (+vat prices Zircotec)

I have seen my manifold translucent also, abeit not the ceramic coated ones now as they just glow a weird pinky colour thru thru the ceramic coating..

these manifolds are in a different league to cast manifolds in flow terms by nature of their narrow angle merge collectors.. proven to flow more than enough for 600bhp levels and beyond

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Since then the cracks have got worse, and i don't see any EGT over 700 and AFR's are all good. I did send Jabba a email a few months back asking if the offer still stands as the cracks had got worse, but typical Jabba no reply.

EGT's not over 700'C? you sure?
I would suspect its egt location or calibration if they dont run hotter than that..
seems too low to be true.

I know mine post turbine on downpipe, direct on outlet side would see mid 900'c under load and fly over 1000'c briefly (0.5 sec) on overrun where fuel cutoff was happening (when on stock ecu)

phil_m

Nov 30, 2005
Suffolk
Yeah mine may be reading slighly low as its directly under the flex joint on the Js down pipe so around 100mm down from outlet, and i dont think on mine there is anyway of calibrating it. but i would assume with all these EGT gauges/sensors they are only a rougth guide as we dont know how accurate they are?

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Yeah mine may be reading slighly low as its directly under the flex joint on the Js down pipe so around 100mm down from outlet, and i dont think on mine there is anyway of calibrating it. but i would assume with all these EGT gauges/sensors they are only a rougth guide as we dont know how accurate they are?

jeez.. man.. no way are your 700'c temps indicative of what the turbo/mani are seeing that far away.... across the turbo inlet to outlet alone you can see a 100'c difference.

if 700'c where yours is, it could easily be 900'c on outlet and 1000'c on inlet.

phil_m

Nov 30, 2005
Suffolk
Yeah like i said rough guide, very rough in my case:D

Surely then the Jabba manifold operating temp rating of 920C is to low for the job, as your saying yours went up to mid 900C on outlet, what must it be at manifold?

Last edited:

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Yeah like i said rough guide, very rough in my case:D

Surely then the Jabba manifold operating temp rating of 920C is to low for the job, as your saying yours went up to mid 900C on outlet, what must it be at manifold?

100'C + more
thats what little IHI's do when turned up..., small exhaust housings and turbines = backpressure and a lot of unwanted heat choking things up

Narrow angle merge collectors and higher flowing turbines will make for cooler egt's for the same airflows

caney

Apr 24, 2005
jabba are still using these manifolds for their owens 450bhp turbos

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
A decent 304 grade steel thick walled manifold should last as long as the vehicle really.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.