Fuel pump upgrade - when?

davegolfturbo

hey just read this thread....i have got a hybrid gt2x and as danny lad described my fuel pump give up on the rollers and was dropping pressure higher up the rpm's. the guy said i need to get a better pump which will be up to the job. i was thinking about this apr one from awsome gti, but when i rang them they said it would not fit?? what do you think to the apr one now you hve fitted it or is just worth me getting the lcr one?

dave.

davegolfturbo

lol cheers i forgot to mention tht. It says on awsome that its for my car tho. but then when i rang them uo the guy didnt sound like he knew what he was talkign about :s so im wondering whether it is worth me just buying the lcr one event ho the apr one is a midified version of the lcr! confusing situations

RobDon

Pro Detailer
It will go straight into your car. The APR pump is a modified Bosch TT 225 pump, which is basically the same as the LCR pump save for the extra outlet which APR modify for FWD.

Also Awesome over-charge for it, I got mine direct from the USA for £150 (which includes shipping, VAT and import duty), Awesome want £180 + postage for the APR pump.

Last edited:

davegolfturbo

and do you think this will be sufficient enough for the map as in it will keep the pressure that it needs? sorry if i seem a little dumb on the topic not too up on fuel pumps atm. although im sure i will be soon enough.

davegolfturbo

looks like its the apr one then...i just dont understand why the guy at awsome had no idea? anyway instead of paying 180 odd from awsome i presume i can buy direct from apr? how long did this take to come and also how much was the final cost inc shipping charges?

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
and do you think this will be sufficient enough for the map as in it will keep the pressure that it needs? sorry if i seem a little dumb on the topic not too up on fuel pumps atm. although im sure i will be soon enough.

I can't understand if your OEM Fuel Sagging? Did he actually test that with the pressure?

I know your running 4bar with LCR injectors so wouldnt a Walbro be just as good?

davegolfturbo

he put a fuel pressure gauge on and you could see that higher up in rpm the pressure started dropping as if the pump was struggling to provide the pressure needed. in regards to the inline walbro i dont now enough to make a judgement on that, someone else may be able to give some advice? the only other thing is if its either the inline or intank and they will both do the same job, then surely its better to pay the little bit extra for a new fuel pump given the mileage and use the oem has already had....and by using a inline one would this not put more pressure on the oem pump and destroy it even more??

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Yeah, that's still nearly £180 including VAT and postage (Awesome's website has them at £182.85 inc.VAT + postage). I got mine for £150 to my door in 6 days. Buy from Awesome if you want, I'm just saying they're not the cheapest place.

An inline Walbro will do just as good but the in-tank pump is alot quieter and no extra wiring to mess around with.

Last edited:

davegolfturbo

sounds like a no brainer to me then, specially if the new pump is going to be 4 bar and ive got a 4 bar reg.
do you have the contact number for the place you bought the pump from i think im going to be investing tmrw!

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
Yeah, that's still nearly £180 including VAT and postage (Awesome's website has them at £182.85 inc.VAT + postage). I got mine for £150 to my door in 6 days. Buy from Awesome if you want, I'm just saying they're not the cheapest place.

An inline Walbro will do just as good but the in-tank pump is alot quieter and no extra wiring to mess around with.

My Walbro pump is almost quiet you can't hear a thing from it...

davegolfturbo

ye i read tht before in this thread, but ive also read quite a few peoples pumps are loud! haha wat is it tonite with these witty comments ey lol

davegolfturbo

just out of interest rob don, where did u get ur turbo hybrid'd n how the heck are you getting full spool by 3500 rpm! also who did the custom mapping for you?

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Avenue Autosport Inc. in the USA, look them up on ebay, link here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/APR-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

"APR Fuel Pump for 99-05 1.8 Turbo VW Golf, Jetta, New Beetle Turbo S, & Audi TT (FWD)

This is an upgraded in-tank fuel pump for high horsepower 1.8T applications. This is the same pump that is sold in APR's Transverse Stage III and III+ turbo kits. Supports up to 360hp!

This pump is a straight drop-in, and uses the same factory pump pickups as the factory pump, so there is no need to worry about fuel starvation when cornering.
"

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.