Front Lamp Bulbs where from?

JR750

Jul 18, 2009
Do I need specific bulbs to my 03 Ibiza MK4? Mine stopped working last night, the largest/one in the middle.

Are they available from Halfords?

Cheers

DScape

Dubbed
Apr 9, 2007
Derby
www.yeomansinc.co.uk

JR750

Jul 18, 2009
how easy are these to fit?

p.s how much were they from a dealer?

BKR

TorqueDefinesIntelligence
Jul 15, 2008
Grimsby
what model is it? as that defines how easy it is lol

i cant remember how much they were mate sorry as it was nearly 3 years ago
but i just payed for the bulb and they fitted

RaggedLob

The worst is yet to come
Mar 29, 2009
Thatcham, Berkshire
If you have the twin headlamp setup, then your looking at the H7 (477 from Halfords) bulb, or if it's the single headlamp (AKA most base models) then it's most likely H4 (472). there are GENERALLY 3 types of Headlamp bulbs that most manufacturers use..

You can check on the system at the parts desk in Halfords if your unsure...

I'm not biased, I just work there part time :)

conkerman

Oct 18, 2006
If you don't know what you are doing I would suggest going to halfords and getting them to fit the bulb. The nearside one looks a pain in the bottom to do.

Halfords make a big thing of being able to fit stuff for you. Go use it. :)

Conks

DScape

Dubbed
Apr 9, 2007
Derby
www.yeomansinc.co.uk
If you don't know what you are doing I would suggest going to halfords and getting them to fit the bulb. The nearside one looks a pain in the bottom to do.

Halfords make a big thing of being able to fit stuff for you. Go use it. :)

Conks

One of the bulbs went in mine (N/S) and I really couldn't be arsed to get my hands dirty so I was willing to pay Halfords to fit in for me, but they wouldn't touch it, so I had to do it myself in the end anyway.

Had to remove part of the battery cover for the extra room, which Halfords wouldn't do.

RaggedLob

The worst is yet to come
Mar 29, 2009
Thatcham, Berkshire
One of the bulbs went in mine (N/S) and I really couldn't be arsed to get my hands dirty so I was willing to pay Halfords to fit in for me, but they wouldn't touch it, so I had to do it myself in the end anyway.

Had to remove part of the battery cover for the extra room, which Halfords wouldn't do.

That's unusual, which Halfords was that?

it just depends on managers preference, whether the guy fitting could spend his time better somewhere else..

As for my store (In Newbury, by the way- names Lawrence :D) i often find myself taking apart wiper assemblies to get to awkward batteries, and we wouldn't turn away an Ibiza in ANY case- their comparatively easy looking at a lot of cars we get :)

DScape

Dubbed
Apr 9, 2007
Derby
www.yeomansinc.co.uk
That's unusual, which Halfords was that?

it just depends on managers preference, whether the guy fitting could spend his time better somewhere else..

As for my store (In Newbury, by the way- names Lawrence :D) i often find myself taking apart wiper assemblies to get to awkward batteries, and we wouldn't turn away an Ibiza in ANY case- their comparatively easy looking at a lot of cars we get :)

In Derby (Wyvern centre), the guy came out and had a look but then said no :( I guess he couldn't be arsed, or maybe they've had a problem doing a similar job i.e. broke something on a customers car.....possibly just didn't like me :lol:

Wasn't bad to do, but I was initially put off by the lack of room to play with.

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
I had to replace a dipped headlight bulb today for about the sixth time since I have had the car. It was the nearside one, which is the most difficult.

The real trick is to take off the front side cover from the battery which give just enough room to remove the 'watertight' cover from the back of the lamp assembly. Be careful when you prise the wire clips off as they can come off and disappear into the engine bay. Note which way the old bulb was fitted when you remove it as you are working in the dark when you put it back (there is a tab which has to go upwards). Naturally you have to make sure that you don't touch the glass on the new bulb.

The only other problem is replacing the spring clips for the cover. The outside one requires quite a bit of pressure to clip it into place and there is not enough room to get to the outside of the clip to push it over. I threaded a piece of string round the clip before I replaced the cover and then pullled the clip over, holding both ends of the string. The clip snapped into place really easily and the string pulls straight out afterwards. The whole job took about ten minutes.

I always have a spare bulb ready now as they blow so frequently and I found the cheapest place for me was my local independent car spares retailer.