Cetane Rating

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
There has been lots of posts on V-Power vs Ultimate etc.

However to save me approaching Shell for information I wonder if anyone already has it....................I've been using V-Power Diesel for sometime now, however I have got to spend a few months away for work where there is only Shell Diesel Extra available.

Does anyone know what the Cetane Rating is of V-Power & of Diesel Extra ?

Does anyone know what the benefits of V-power over Diesel Extra is ? ie they both claim to clean the system etc................the other reason why I ask is that when I do get back to the South I've found a garage that sells both Diesel V-Power & Diesel Extra but "Extra" is 6p a litre cheaper !!!! & for the mileage I'm currently doing thats a great saving if infact the fuels are not much different.

I know that V-Power is GTL & as such contains no sulphur............however elsewhere I read that less Sulphur means less lubrication of the Diesel pump etc.

Thanks for any info.

Paul

Mar 13, 2008
Suffolk
Well cant really help you with what the Cetane ratings are. But when using V-Power and BP Ultimate over the normal diesel is the engine does seem to run alittle quiter and maybe slightly smoother. Havent noticed any increase in performance but even if it gave 2bhp more you not going to feel it.

I have used Millers Power Sport which is good stuff, And has a funny smell but i kind of like it, Which the V-Power and BP Ultimate has the same smell. The Millers is good which does the same as the abobe fuels but its more pronounced. I find that all 3 make it smoke more, But mine is mapped.

Luke

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
Yes I've found that too ....which is why I'd like to see what I'm loosing when I've no choice to use only Shell Diesel EXTRA.

So if there's anyone out there who just has the choice of Shell Diesel Extra but have used the others when visiting elsewhere ?

Paul

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Guaranteed minimum figures:-

Standard BS EN590: 51
Shell Diesel Extra: 53
Total Excellium: 53
BP Ultimate Diesel: 55
Shell V-Power Diesel: 55

BP Ultimate has been known to have a higher figure than 55, but AFAIK anything above 55 is pointless.

Last edited:

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
Chris thanks on the email advice I got you also said that 'Extra' was Cetane rating at 53, so on that basis performance wise 'Extra' is better?................plus I assume easier starting in the cold ?

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Chris thanks on the email advice I got you also said that 'Extra' was Cetane rating at 53, so on that basis performance wise 'Extra' is better?................plus I assume easier starting in the cold ?

Hi, I made a mistake in my post. Please re-read for the correct info.

As for the easier starting in the cold, its hard to say without the analitcal data of the fuels.

Things that diesel gets tested for which reflects easier starting are:-

CFPP (Cold Filter Plugging Point) is a measurment of when the fuel filter blocks due to crystal formation of diesel at low temperatures which is CP (Cloud Point)

All diesel in the UK has to meet or exceed BS EN590, which is a set of tests from the British Standard Institution. Im not sure of the technical details for each fuel but all diesel sold in the UK should not give any problems with cold temperature starting.

Engine oil can have a massive impact on (CCS) cold cranking, which can effect the peformance of the engine starting when cold - this is quite often overlooked and I know of many oil companies selling oil that does not even meet the requirements of cold cranking. This for me is the difference between a good oil and a bad oil.

Last edited:

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
Thanks Chris, yes your point re Engine Oils & cold cranking.........thats why I always use a 0W-40 & the only one that I can find is Mobil 1 Diesel......(mines a non-PD) I also use a 0W-40 to get the oil around the Turbo bearings ASAP.

I did get info from Shell yesterday saying : The Cetane Rating for V-power Diesel is typically 51-53 (51 Minimum), And the rating for Diesel Extra is typically 55-58 (51 Minimum).

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Thanks Chris, yes your point re Engine Oils & cold cranking.........thats why I always use a 0W-40 & the only one that I can find is Mobil 1 Diesel......(mines a non-PD) I also use a 0W-40 to get the oil around the Turbo bearings ASAP.

I did get info from Shell yesterday saying : The Cetane Rating for V-power Diesel is typically 51-53 (51 Minimum), And the rating for Diesel Extra is typically 55-58 (51 Minimum).

Shell are saying their V-Power has a lower cetane rating than Extra? Glad I don't use V-Power then. :lol:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex

Surely this can be true?

Cant imagine shell advertising v-power as the flagship and making shell extra better but less.

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
They say their performance increase is gained by other methods other than enhanced Cetane rating plus it has four times more cleaning additive

kiran

I use Total Eco-Diesel Premium + 50 ppm

Im not sure about the Cetane Rating, but im getting at least 50km extra on a full tank compared to Shell V Power.