More power from my 1.9TDi 150 leon cupra??

CupraDerv-chris

Hi everyone! im pretty new on this forum.
I've only had my leon cupra for a short period but I already have an Image in my head of what I would like to do to the car-

My main question is power-
I took my car to AMD last month for a remap to find out it had already been mapped by the last owner (BONUS) only thing is I dont know what company mapped it, The car made 185bhp and 270lbs of torque with two leaking boost pipes which i thought was pretty good :)

I've seen a few of the slower spec 1.9TDi's (110 & 130 models) running silly power-How is this?
Is it just down to bolting on a new hybrid turbo and is there abit more to it?
My bearings in my turbo are abit fubar'd I think as Im getting the common police siren noise from it either that or im being constantly followed by pc plod :whistle: so im currently looking at having my turbo turnt into a hybrid, any suggestions of what companys to use and rough prices or any suggestions on how to acheive at least 200bhp which i would be happy with

Thanks guys.

Aug 19, 2007
East Yorkshire
Hybrid turbo
Turbo back 2.5" exhaust with de-cat
Uprated clutch + flywheel
Uprated boost pipes (Guessing your car is specced with a FMIC being a PD150.
Remap from a company who know what they are doing when it comes to hybrid TDi's (Jabba or RS Tuning IMO)

All that should see a reliable 220+ bhp and around 370ft/lbs with very little smoke.

schmidhead

careful with the turbo

hello I too am a new seat tdi cupra 4 owner. mine has 120K KMS and 195 BHP. I've had it for a month now and my turbo let go and now the engine is blocked. OWCH. if you want to replace the tubo Like I have to. do it soon or you too could find yourself changing not only the turbo but the engine too........

CupraDerv-chris

Hybrid turbo
Turbo back 2.5" exhaust with de-cat
Remap from a company who know what they are doing when it comes to hybrid TDi's (Jabba or RS Tuning IMO)

All that should see a reliable 220+ bhp and around 370ft/lbs with very little smoke.

I've already got the Fmic as you mentioned-What kind of power can the standard unit's take? I've already got my car remapped so if I was to put a hybrid turbo on would I have to have it remapped again or could it quite happily run without having to splash more cash again?

My turbo's currently running like a bag of poo :blink: chucking out loads of smoke on boost and making strange noises.SO i need to change it sooner rather than later.

Aug 19, 2007
East Yorkshire
Standard units arent really good for any more than a legitimate 185bhp reliably. People have ran just shy of 200 bhp, but it only ends in tears.

You can run the hybrid without mapping it but personally wouldnt advise it. Hybrids use larger internals which take slighly longer to spool, meaning your car will be dumping excess fuel in until the turbo is spinning fast enough to supply sufficient air. It's worthwhile paying that bit more and knowing your car is running how it should be.

Savage1985

it all sounds good. but is there a website we can check all these items out etc.
as im still undecided if to keep her like she is or to play with a few items.

220 bhp and 370ft does sound good but how much you looking at? :think:

Feb 22, 2009
South Wales
i would like to know this also - what are the costs we would be looking at to achieve this 220bhp

are the any ways of building to it or are we looking at car going straight from 150 ish to 220?

Aug 19, 2007
East Yorkshire
Hybrid turbo -

Personally using a turbo dynamics stage 2 and have no issues. Brand new unit costs around £1100 but an exchange for your old turbo can cost as little as £500

Turbo back 2.5" exhaust with de-cat-

From a decent custom exhaust place your looking at around £300 for the full system.

You can get away with just an uprated clutch and use the original flywheel, but if you dont want to have to worry about damaging the flywheel, a single mass is a good upgrade. You'll get a bit of rattle from it but its a worthwhile sacrifice for peace of mind. For a Helix setup (clutch and flywheel) which is rated to 450ft/lbs your looking at around £1000 fitted.

For the PD150, your best bet is ask a few of the lads running uprated hoses what parts they have used (believe Jonjay has uprated his to hard pipes), buy some lengths of stainless pipe, and connect them using whatever size/angle silicone bends are required. Works out much cheaper than buying the kit from SFS and will do just as good of a job.
Would guess at around £100-200

My number one choice was RS, who are a Leeds based company. Mapping was £425 + VAT. They have mapped a fair few hybrid TDi's now, all of which have made real good power, and are proven to be quick cars.

All in all then, with a new turbo rather than a re-con you would be looking at around 3k.

With a recon turbo would be more along the lines of 2.5k.

Just a few figures from mine running 230bhp and 385ft/lbs:

0-60 - 5.7s
1/4 - [email protected]
top speed - Guesstimate 150+mph
Mpg - On a run down the A1 in reasonable traffic, travelling between 60-70mph it will often see 60mpg.
Day to day it averages around 50. On hard drives it will still average 35+.

Reactions: Andrewwright

brad1

I also recommend AmD, they have got 257bhp and 242bhp out of two TD stage 2 leons and the power holds all the way to the redline with a smooth, but slightly aggressive map ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

brad1

This is a picture of jonjays MD376 stage 2 graph
150pd-md376.jpg

Another person is strugers1 who is running 242bhp, but his turbo has been sent back to turbo dynamics due to being faulty, so more power once hes had it mapped with a properly functioning turbo ;)

Savage1985

im liking this.. :D
i wouldnt mind keeping the exhaust i got now.. as i dont want it farting. But would like that sort of horsepower!! :funk:
roll on after my basic training in the RAF.. im getting most of this done i think :cartman:

Aug 19, 2007
East Yorkshire
This is a picture of jonjays MD376 stage 2 graph
150pd-md376.jpg

Another person is strugers1 who is running 242bhp, but his turbo has been sent back to turbo dynamics due to being faulty, so more power once hes had it mapped with a properly functioning turbo ;)

Im doubtfull of those figures considering there both on standard injectors. 240 maybe but 260 without any additional fueling is unlikely.
Call me jealous or whatever you like. Im just a realist.

Would be interested to see these cars run on the same RR on the same day as mine, for a better comparison.

As for struggers getting more than 242, I very much doubt that too. Thats a very high figure for a TD2 as it is, especially when you consider it made less torque than some cars running stage 2 on standard turbo's.

Lets not open up this can of worms though and agree to disagree before it starts.

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
Love it how the car losses 15 bhp on the 2nd run each time. With each run lasting about 10 seconds after giving the car full power for one minute on a run it will only be making about 160bhp thats if the turbo hasn`t over heated and melted or one of the turbo wheels over span itself into destruction......:whistle:

majesty78

Oct 6, 2008
Austria

If you come to the point where you UNDERSTAND and are willing to believe that a BONE STOCK 150hp TDI (ARL) needs 27.5 degrees of injection duration to reach 150 hp,

THEN

Those people who believe to get 200+bhp out of stock 550cc nozzles will start to realize that is physically NOT DOABLE SAFE.

There are several tuners already who begin to understand this in the meanwhile, it seems that only in UK the air is so much richer and the fuel so much more efficient that all UK tuners can exceed the laws of physics in comparison to the rest of the world.

Anyway, devonmikeboy, i like this BS buzzer*g*

I think I have to save it and use it several times*g*

Regards, Alex

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise