Anyone tried a larger Air Flow Meter?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Mark, the LCR one is 3" ID and will allow a massive flow through it before it becomes a restriction.
These ones are used in Big Turbo applications on other VAG models

Mark300zx

Apr 24, 2008
Surrey/SW London
Mark, the LCR one is 3" ID and will allow a massive flow through it before it becomes a restriction.
These ones are used in Big Turbo applications on other VAG models

Thanks for the reply, I thought I read somewhere the R32 uses a slightly larger MAF, and wondered if anyone had tried it?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
What would be the outcome though?

At these airflow levels the OE maf isn't being saturated... and isn't a restriction

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
The R32 has a bigger MAF because its a 3.2l V6

Larger capacity requires more air.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
And the r32 is n/a as opposed to forced induction so it pulls the air in when the pistons lower (which creates a drop in atmospheric pressure within the induction system) where as the Cupra has a turbo, which means the air is sucked into the induction system and forced into the cylinders. Its probably bigger on the R32 as already mentioned - to create as little restriction as possible.

I've heard of a few people removing the gauze on the maf, does this yield any realistic performance gains?

Mark300zx

Apr 24, 2008
Surrey/SW London
I don't know the exact specs here, but putting a turbo on a 1.8 car means it requires more air, depending on the size of the turbo it can need more air than a 3.2 litre engine!

Both systems suck air in, NA and Turbo, it is only after the turbo has spooled up that it forces air into the cylinders, but it is still sucking air in from the MAF.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members