Wiper Linkage

Newlyner

Hi Guys.
First time poster here. Due to the fact that I have had no problems with my Arosa. ...... Until now.
My problem is that the wiper linkage connection from the passenger blade has become disconnected from the drivers wiper arm and therefore doesn't sweep. Can anyone tell me how this could have occurred and how easy is it to fix. :confused:

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
There is a sort of ball and socket connector that joins the linkage to the mechanism. The connectors sometimes wear and cannot be replaced. You will need to buy a new linkage if its really bad, best place to look is ebay as the linkages are around £40 from a dealership. Try turning the engine on, getting the wipers to the top of the windscreen, turn the engine off - leaving the wipers up and then try to pop the linakges back together. Replacing the linkage is a bit fiddly and I do recommend that you take your time. Whatever you do, do NOT remove the cowl or seals near the windscreen with a screwdriver, go really slowly otherwise you will crack the windscreen.

Newlyner

Thanks for your input Boo. I did re-connect the "ball & socket" mechanism the other day by just using a press fit, and it worked fine for a short time, but then the "connector" came adrift again.. Do you happen to know if the connector is retained by a screw or circlip by any chance ?

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
I didn't know the year so i guessed 98/99 ish :) hope this helps ?

ball pin's are usually fixed and metal and the socket's are most likely to wear out - as in the diagram though some of the bits are seperate but all depend's on the model and issue you have

955100.png

Newlyner

My model is 2004 do you know if my wper system is the same as the 1999 ?

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
Its exactly the same linkage mechanism on a MK1 & MK2 Arosa. I think its a new linkage jobbie honey :( Like I said ebay is a good call. I paid £10 for a linkage arm which was a bargain compared to the £40 odd that Seat wanted !

Newlyner

Hi Guys. Just had a mechanic check out the wiper linkage and he confirmed all that you guys have said.
So it's a new linkage for me. Sadly just checked e-bay and no one is selling, :cry: so it's a weekend checking for the best offer. :think:

mch03

Help! my wipers have stopped working

Hi everyone this is my first post and i'm in need of help.
My wipers have decided to stop working completely, both front and back including the squirters. I think its linked to the cold weather. Has anyone any advice what i should be checking? Just spent 500 pound on my service so wanting to avoid a trip to the garage if possible.
Thankyou

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
Check that there isnt any air in the hoses, fuses. It might even be the stalk on the steering wheel if neither your wipers are working or the jets or a lose wire.

neil72

Apr 30, 2006
durham
Another unexpected fault,pass wiper linkage is about shot, came undone but it,s popped back on but isn,t too secure for my liking,so I,m gonna change both arms,just in case.
Do the drivers linkage tend to fail as much as the pass side, and if replacing both,is there anyway to waterproof the ball and socket so water doesn,t collect in the socket part .

Or has anyone tried those repair clips seen on ebay ?
Thanks.

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
Usually if one side goes then the other isn't far off. The mechanism is such that I can't see those clips allowing much movement in the linkage. I really wouldn't risk it, especially with the winter weather on its way. You don't want to be driving along in heavy rain and the linkage to fail.

neil72

Apr 30, 2006
durham
Off to TPS in the morning me thinks for some cheap parts. And yes,with the bad weather upon us ,best get it sorted now. Thank you.

Last edited:

neil72

Apr 30, 2006
durham
Well, with change from £15 I bought both linkages and an EGR valve gasket,which I think is a very good deal.
Since it,s the n/s linkage thats gone,do I really need to remove the arms and plastic cover ,as it was easy enough to pop the connector back in place when the wipers were stopped in a certain position.

neil72

Apr 30, 2006
durham
Managed to change n/s linkage without removing arms or plastic trim,pair of mole grips was all it needed.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.