Fog lights when in reverse??

marklaruk

Sep 27, 2009
Leeds
Abit confusing but when my lights are on main beam and i put my car in reverse my fog lights come on, is this right??

Also is there 2 reversing lights or just one?

Thanks.

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
yes, it's perfectly normal, read the manual :p
then do a search!;)

if you've got a 5 door it's got two reversing lights, if you've got a 3dr it's only one iirc.

John33

Oct 12, 2009
Earth
The idea is this :)

when you have reversed over something you can get a good look at it in front of you when it appears the other side of the car :)

Dave217

Ibiza Mk 5 owner
Nov 2, 2009
Warrington
The idea is this :)

when you have reversed over something you can get a good look at it in front of you when it appears the other side of the car :)

that just made me laugh out loud,

basically, when in reverse the car doesnt know which way the front end is going to swing so it lights both up,

going forward, if you are travelling under 20 mph (i think) and you turn left round a corner then the left front fog will light up giving you a better view into the corner and vice versa

Last edited:

marklaruk

Sep 27, 2009
Leeds
that just made me laugh out loud,

basically, when in reverse the car doesnt know which way the front end is going to swing so it lights both up,

going forward, if you are travelling under 20 mph (i think) and you turn left round a corner then the left front fog will light up giving you a better view into the corner and vice versa

Managed to find it in the book, but thanks for confirming... Is it just me or does it seem to be abit of a pointless feature? I have my headlights on anyway so why do they feel the need to have the others turn on aswell??

Also whats the difference between these lights when they are doing the above functions to when they are being used as fog lights? are they alot brigther when switched on as fogs?

And my last question. So when i am driving over 20mph or so ever corner i go round these lights are turning themselves on and off? Must seem like abit of a light show for the person infront lol

Dave217

Ibiza Mk 5 owner
Nov 2, 2009
Warrington
Managed to find it in the book, but thanks for confirming... Is it just me or does it seem to be abit of a pointless feature? I have my headlights on anyway so why do they feel the need to have the others turn on aswell??

when you are driving into a pitch black street they help alot as it lights round the corner for you

img10.Img2,property=Image.jpg

Also whats the difference between these lights when they are doing the above functions to when they are being used as fog lights? are they alot brigther when switched on as fogs?

there is no difference (i dont think, dont quote me on this), just one lights up showing you round the corner

And my last question. So when i am driving over 20mph or so ever corner i go round these lights are turning themselves on and off? Must seem like abit of a light show for the person infront lol

they only work when driving under 20mph, they are not overly dazzling and they turn off when the steering wheel is aligned straight

Last edited:

marklaruk

Sep 27, 2009
Leeds
Thanks dave im just about sorted haha. The only reason i was asking about the brightness is because driving with fogs is supposidly illegal is it not, so it would give coppers a nice excuse to pull you if they saw these on while driving / reversing?

Dave217

Ibiza Mk 5 owner
Nov 2, 2009
Warrington
i have been pulled, but i just explained to the policeman they were automatic then i showed him it was a great feeling when he realised he was wrong lol he let me off =D

Dave217

Ibiza Mk 5 owner
Nov 2, 2009
Warrington
i just said to the police man 'are you not up to date on your cars, all the new mercs have them'

it felt sooo good, but yeah it is a bit stupid

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.