Boot handle!

Ibiza 09

When I open the boot as normal the handle should spring back itself but for some reason it doesnt do that leaving it partly open but i can still shut the boot as normal and still have the handle stuck out?

I thought it might be the spring not working correctly!

Anyone else have any other ideas on what could be wrong?

Thanks

Ibiza 09

ok cheers i asked them at college to see what they thought and they said the same dont trust them taking parts of my car apart though ill get someone to look at it on friday perhaps

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
I ordered one today for a customer, superceeded number so looks like there is a modified one available.

Ibiza 09

techie: is this easily sorted and what would i need doing for it to be sorted, is it a new spring i need to get

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
strange, mine springs back, but it needs two attempts to open it fully, the first one, just puts it on the latch as it were, the second one opens it.

its going in wednesday to be looked at, along with the squeaky top cover on the steering column, and the noticeable knocking noise coming form the drivetrain

Dave217

Ibiza Mk 5 owner
Nov 2, 2009
Warrington
mine has been fine, just to clarify, the boot isnt meant to open automatically when you press the lever in, you do have to pull up when you press it,

just seems odd to me that a few people are saying they have problems this early on, when i dont think it is a part that would cause much trouble

however it must be said that some people are unlucky, if your car was built on a monday morning or a friday afternoon then there may be a few minor errors as we all know how it feels to be working at this time XD

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
yes, at the very start i would push the top of the badge in, then lift the boot cleanly up.
now, if i do that first time round the lock mechanism isn't open fully. I suspect it's something wrong with the motor system that opens the boot,

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
My daughter and i both have ibizas and on both cars the handles don't spring back anymore, just got used to it.

Last edited:

Dave217

Ibiza Mk 5 owner
Nov 2, 2009
Warrington
ah right, ok, was just making sure.

seems strange that something that simple goes wrong this early

robin, did i read that wrong

'your daughters dont spring back anymore'?????

EDIT: yes i re read it a few times and think you mean your daughters beeza and your beeza lol shouldnt be reading this this early, my brain isnt working =]

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
yes dave dident make a lot of sence, so have changed it, my daughter has a candy white ibiza 14 se, and I have a red 19TDI but at some point I would like to buy a candy white FR or cupra

Last edited:

Dave217

Ibiza Mk 5 owner
Nov 2, 2009
Warrington
i remember talking to you about the candy whit beeza lol, just thought id try and be clever ;)

i dont often get the chance to =p

bigman75

Jul 21, 2009
Wolverhampton
Hi Ian

Where precisely did you spray the lubricant? I've noticed that my boot latch/flap thingy is stiffer in the cold. Is it a case of just lifting the flap and spraying in general?

I've got some GT85 knocking around in the shed, will that do? It's similar to wd40.

How is your car behaving these days? Did you get the problem fixed? I'm trying recall what it as I type this but it's escaping me! :confused: lol

Cheers

Andy

iandjm

Nov 23, 2007
Isle of Wight
Hi Andy,

I sprayed the lubricant at where I thought the hinge points of the handle are. Seems to have worked. The other problem was the starting issue. Had the ECU changed and all has been fine since. It will take a long time to get my confidence back fully tho.

Ian :D

munchycarrot

now, if i do that first time round the lock mechanism isn't open fully. I suspect it's something wrong with the motor system that opens the boot,

we have experienced this about 5 or 6 times, had the car 2 wks today :blink:

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
get it booked into a dealers to be looked at. mine's been fine since i booked it in, think it's scared of going to the doctors

Fozzi

I think i posted the first problem report for the boot latch. After several aborted attempts, i finally got it replaced by the dealer (under waranty), tho wish i had tried some lube first! Could well have been the could weather fouling it up. The replacement works, but no longer has the gentle/slow spring action that i really liked - details count in my view. Now it just 'snaps' back on a very tight spring, which is less impressive.

What was also less impressive was the dealer - they really are next to useless once you have paid up & driven off.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.