Mechanical sound after cold start

evgeni432

Crazy Russian
Nov 12, 2009
Israel
Hi,

i have noticed a problem in my new ibiza 09 Sc 1.6 petrol manual.

after a cold start/ after engine was turned off for a long time, when i put in the first gear and drive a few meters (till engine hit 2/2.5 RPM, 18-20 kph) i hear a short mechanical sound, it appears to come from the engine compartment. the wired thing is that it only sounds once ofter the starting of the engine and afterwards its all fine. can any body explain?

and another thing, some tgimes the first gear and the reverse don't quite engage smoothly, the first gear appears to hit a "wall" like thing, some times i give it a small shake and it fits, appears only when gearbox isn't warm yet, (few minutes after start) then every thing is normal.

any ideas? should i visit the service station?

car did 2000 km.

Busta

Sep 13, 2009
well, yesterday we had MINUS 15 degrees here in Bulgaria. I went downm turned the key and - the engine started easily (viva la SEAT)!!

What I found strange is there was a little noise that I hear everytime when the car is cold! When I press the clutch - it dissapear...may be it is the oil(still freezed) or something else....but...I also have an extra additional sound when the weather is cold (in the morning). My car is 25 000 km (almost) so I can say I know how does it normally sound!

Cheers!

evgeni432

Crazy Russian
Nov 12, 2009
Israel
Well its not the turbo that for sure :)

Its about 17 degrees in Israel (above 0), i didn't mean literally "cold".
this sound reminds me the sound that the AC on older cars does when you press the internal circulation button, but more mechanical and louder, seems to be electrically powered like a motor or a bulkhead of some kind... any body knows what I'm talking about?

and the gear box...

Last edited:

JonDog

Hi,

i have noticed a problem in my new ibiza 09 Sc 1.6 petrol manual.

after a cold start/ after engine was turned off for a long time, when i put in the first gear and drive a few meters (till engine hit 2/2.5 RPM, 18-20 kph) i hear a short mechanical sound, it appears to come from the engine compartment.

Could be an engine? :D

What I found strange is there was a little noise that I hear everytime when the car is cold! When I press the clutch - it dissapear...may be it is the oil(still freezed) or something else....but...I also have an extra additional sound when the weather is cold (in the morning). My car is 25 000 km (almost) so I can say I know how does it normally sound!

Think that's the gearbox oil but I'm not 100%. I had the same problem on my previous car and they said they could change it and it would stop the whining, but I chose to put up with it.

vtxracer

Jul 25, 2009
Greece
Well its not the turbo that for sure :)

Its about 17 degrees in Israel (above 0), i didn't mean literally "cold".
this sound reminds me the sound that the AC on older cars does when you press the internal circulation button, but more mechanical and louder, seems to be electrically powered like a motor or a bulkhead of some kind... any body knows what I'm talking about?

and the gear box...

Thats exactly what i hear. I could hear it even in the summer so it has nothing to do with external temperature but with engine temperature. It is normal.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Two things that cause the noise (or noises I have heard anyhow)

1) The ABS pump does a small pulse on start up, its a self test and normal

2) If you have a DSG gearbox the vacuum pump at the front left of the engine bay (as you look at it) charges the vacuum system so you have servo assistance for the brakes.

Busta

Sep 13, 2009
But I do not understand why when I press the clutch the sound dissappear..If I keep it pressed it is ok, when I release it I can hear it.

Anyway, it dissapear in few seconds (minute something)...

What do you think - do the guys in the dealer service will laugh if I ask them if there is a problem?

Best regards

stukillen

Jun 26, 2009
Glasgow
some tgimes the first gear and the reverse don't quite engage smoothly, the first gear appears to hit a "wall" like thing, some times i give it a small shake and it fits, appears only when gearbox isn't warm yet, (few minutes after start) then every thing is normal.

i have had a similar thing with reverse and was going to take it to get looked at in the new year. mine is the same it is as if it is hitting a wall, although i cant wiggle it to get it to go in. i find that if i lift the cluch up slightly and give a very small rev it just pops in. if i take the cluch off and on a few times it makes no difference, it still wont go in. any thoughts?
stu

evgeni432

Crazy Russian
Nov 12, 2009
Israel
But I do not understand why when I press the clutch the sound dissappear..If I keep it pressed it is ok, when I release it I can hear it.

Anyway, it dissapear in few seconds (minute something)...

What do you think - do the guys in the dealer service will laugh if I ask them if there is a problem?

Best regards

I know what your talking about, like a metallic high pitch sound, that disappears when you press the clutch, it's like there is a metallic tube vibrating in the engine compartment.
I didn't go to the service with it yet but some one told me it's the flywheel.

evgeni432

Crazy Russian
Nov 12, 2009
Israel
i have had a similar thing with reverse and was going to take it to get looked at in the new year. mine is the same it is as if it is hitting a wall, although i cant wiggle it to get it to go in. i find that if i lift the cluch up slightly and give a very small rev it just pops in. if i take the cluch off and on a few times it makes no difference, it still wont go in. any thoughts?
stu

tomorrow i will try to go to the service, i will ask them a few questions about it and other problems.
like creaking dash... damn, i love the car but it is so disappointing some times.

evgeni432

Crazy Russian
Nov 12, 2009
Israel
Visited the dealer few days ago, appears to bee no problem with clutch, the boot handle was found faulty & ordered new one. Couldn't fined the reason for the creaking behind the dash (just behind the steering wheel/dials. tried to tie loose wiring but nothing helped, the sound is experienced when i press the gas on low gear (when the chassis flexes a bit) and resembles plastics creaking. any body has an idea? may bee the steering column?

help plz...

evgeni432

Crazy Russian
Nov 12, 2009
Israel
It is a kind of rattle but plastic like, when i press the gas (rapidly, just a quick press and release) i hear: tick tick tick or click click click and thats it. not when i brake, only accelerate or it happens when i operate the clutch (exactly at the moment you press the gas). basically it happens when the chassis is flexed during the acceleration or the brief pulling force of the wheels/engine foreword. (when you feel the car is initially accelerating, and you get that initial thrust).

it is really hard to explain especially when English is not my native language :)

rahul

Dec 24, 2009
Hatfield, Hertfordshire
Hi,

and another thing, some tgimes the first gear and the reverse don't quite engage smoothly, the first gear appears to hit a "wall" like thing, some times i give it a small shake and it fits, appears only when gearbox isn't warm yet, (few minutes after start) then every thing is normal.

any ideas? should i visit the service station?

car did 2000 km.

Hi I have a 1.2 Ibiza and my reverse and 1 fail to engage sometimes, i took it into seat and they said they couldnt find a problem with it, just my luck, it doesnt play up at the stealers grrr.... so i just put up with it now, its not often, just occasionally, maybe once or twice a week, but its random, so i cant make it happen :help: :=(

evgeni432

Crazy Russian
Nov 12, 2009
Israel
Hi I have a 1.2 Ibiza and my reverse and 1 fail to engage sometimes, i took it into seat and they said they couldnt find a problem with it, just my luck, it doesnt play up at the stealers grrr.... so i just put up with it now, its not often, just occasionally, maybe once or twice a week, but its random, so i cant make it happen :help: :=(

i had the same problem, but it gets less with time, i think its just the gearbox breaking in, and if you notice it happens only when the engine is cold (gearbox fluid).

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
yeah, my first gear is occasionally difficult to engage but it's getting better as it gears worn in a bit, some times it'll slot straight in really nicely.
Same with second at times it'll be a right bitch, usually when i really don't want it to be :lol: both are getting better though

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.