Engine temperature gauge

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Could you post a pic of it ? I want to install one.
Thanks

Hi there, it's one of the readings from the ScanGauge II http://www.scangauge.com/products/

2hyjrpu.jpg

Best Regards,
Andy

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
All VAG temp gauges just go to 90 and stay there anyhow regardless of whats going on in the engine. Its a placebo thing.

You only get an oil pressure light, have doe for ages and thats more important than coolent temp.

Frudo

Temp reading

Just had my 1.6tdi a week now and am also dissapointed there is no temp gauge, I have a couple of ideas and have mailed Seat, awaiting their reply. They are
1. Replace the existing outside air temp, with a water /oil temp probe
2. Replace the existing high water temp probe with a temp probe.
Could it work ? any super sparks out there !!

vtxracer

Jul 25, 2009
Greece
There is software for VWs and Audis to show all temps, boost, and every sensor and 0-100, 1/4 mile times, etc on the MDF screen. Does something like this exsist for the ibiza ? This would be very usefull but posibly voids the waranty.

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
All VAG temp gauges just go to 90 and stay there anyhow regardless of whats going on in the engine. Its a placebo thing.

You only get an oil pressure light, have doe for ages and thats more important than coolent temp.

Yeah but the SGII does show the correct temp, not just always 87C. When it's cold it indicates as near as damn it the outside air temp. As you move along it gradually picks up. If i was to simply drive then yes it would get up to 87C in around 2 miles, however if i was to drive for, lets say, half a mile the gauge may be up to 55C. I could then park up and it would increase at a lesser rate than if i was driving. Therefore it's pretty near as damn it accurate and doesn't just stay at 87C (or 90)

Regards,
Andy

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Just had my 1.6tdi a week now and am also dissapointed there is no temp gauge, I have a couple of ideas and have mailed Seat, awaiting their reply. They are
1. Replace the existing outside air temp, with a water /oil temp probe
2. Replace the existing high water temp probe with a temp probe.
Could it work ? any super sparks out there !!

But if you do away with your outside air temp sensor you also do away with a/c operation.

Jul 11, 2009
Dorking
i think i know why no temp gauge - in 'drive' box changes up to 7th as soon as possible, and stays in as high a gear as possible for economy, but that means the coolant would take a long time to reach normal, as little fuel is burned.this would not look good to driver if it had a temp gauge. trick is to drive in 'sport' for 10 min to warm engine quick.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
i think i know why no temp gauge - in 'drive' box changes up to 7th as soon as possible, and stays in as high a gear as possible for economy, but that means the coolant would take a long time to reach normal, as little fuel is burned.this would not look good to driver if it had a temp gauge. trick is to drive in 'sport' for 10 min to warm engine quick.

I think its to make the gauges look simpler really as all the new Ibizas are the same regardless of engine. They are being dropped on pretty much all the new VAG vehicles. On the Golf GT is was dropped in favour of a boost gauge.

Also most of the new engines have a twin thermostat design with effectively a different cooling system for the cylinder head and cylinder block regulated at different temps so a gauge kinda gets confused.

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Thats a nice looking toy! How much for one of those fitted?

Hi there, think mine was just a tad over £100. It does MPG, MPH, Boost, BHP, Max Spd, MAP, Throttle Position, Reads Fault Codes, Time engine running and literally hundreds of other readings. Can change display colour, and because it simply fits into your OBD port (next to drivers right knee in new Ibiza) you can fit it yourself in 5 minutes !

HTH !

Andy

Deleted member 33999

I personally use one of these and the application "Torque" for my phone to get a temp gauge. It also reads fault codes and can read back a lot of info from the ECU. At £103 and 2 years warranty, I highly recommend one :D

84-86 degrees seems normal, fan kicks in at 90, goes off at 82 :whistle:

chuckb

Mo bark n' Mo grunt
Apr 4, 2010
Sunny Slough
If I was keeping the Boc I would definately get one of those, not wait until the Engine management light comes on and it dies on its wheels

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.