New CUPRA R officially confirmed

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
New hot hatch ownership will become more the domain of the wealthy I fear.

Which in itself defeats the point behind them doesn't it? People buy hot hatches because they're cheaper to buy and run than a 'proper' sports car. Seems that's no longer going to be the case.

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Which in itself defeats the point behind them doesn't it? People buy hot hatches because they're cheaper to buy and run than a 'proper' sports car. Seems that's no longer going to be the case.

Very true, it costs more a year (every year) including the finance payment to keep my S3 on the road for 12,000 miles p.a. (based on 3 years ownership lifespan), than it cost to buy a Mk1 GTi outright back in the day.

I know prices go up, but when I think how much more we earn as a couple today against what we earned back in the 90's (probably over 5 times as much), to be considering waving the white flag on all this and looking towards spending our money in more beneficial ways says something must be wrong somewhere. If cars didn't depreciate like stones and cost a mint to run, then it wouldn't be so bad, but they do.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net

Indeed, not that they have to be cheap as chips, but affordable. I am now in my mid to late 30's, I class myself as being comfortable but not wealthy.

I am a professional in my field working for a successful small to medium sized limited company in the North West, but I am not on a managerial pay scale but likely to be just above the UK average. I would like more, but during a recession isn't the time to ask the boss for more coin when we have to concentrate our efforts on being leaner to win more business.

I don't have any dependents and I have a modest mortgage, and I'm on the whole debt free with my finances other than the mortgage. Worked all my adult life, and had a middle class upbringing.

As I pointed out earlier, I've had 4 new SEAT's, and my previous cars were all brand new purchases. I wouldn't mind so much paying a premium for a premium product if it held onto it money, but we all know that SEAT still attract a value driven market.

I now consider a used or nearly new premium model from another brand even if its a VW or Audi to be more cost effective.

I would downsize to a Ibiza, I like the new Ibiza its got a great modern look. However I am not so taken by the interior quality and lack of equipment. Comparisons highlighted by the Polo GTi thread today, the Polo might not have the style but its got the quality to surpass the Ibiza and though it will be more money it will hold onto that money.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
At the end of the day its SEAT who will lose out.
Other manufacturers are now where SEAT used to be , i want to change my car 2 years old now , so have been looking around , i wont buy new because of the ridulous prices manufacturers want for basic spec cars , that was until i have seen the pictures and specs of the new Alfa Romeo Mito GTA , 1.8 turbo charged 240 bhp weighing 1100kg , full on spec under 20k , rumours are it was shelved but recent spy shots show it in devolopment.

Also the real winners here will be people buying slightly used cars , ex demos reduced by 4 or 5 k and in the end the manufacturers will never leave the recession , but you also remember that buying a new car also adds show room tax so you would have thought the guys would give discounts as an incentive to move cars not price them into oblivion :(

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
SMMT figures this morning indicate a 65% increase in car output, on the back of the scrappage scheme. A scheme which we all know can't last forever.

The cars being sold at the moment will be very few premium models either, I would expect most people looking to buy a premium model will have a car under 5 years old to trade in, and won't gain any fiscal benefit from scrappage either.

The lower price end of the vehicle spectrum used to be the hook to bring customers in through the door, with very little profit involved for either the manufacturer or the dealers. Its now this market area that is moving towards propping up the industry as the premium models are becoming out of reach of the average punter.

Dude

1st UK MK2 LCR on here
Dec 10, 2009
+1

Many brands are being diluted, what do you have: S, S Emotion, SE, Sport, FR, Cupra and Cupra R… Ford..Style, Zetec, Zetec S, Econetic, Titanium, ST1, 2 and 3, and RS.
VW, S, SE, Blue motion, GT, GTI, and R.
Most manufacturers seem to offer many variations of the same product, perhaps to broaden there market, and in process screw as much money as possible out of the consumer, for which ever model they go for.

Poverty

Starting to wonder with all the bad feeling, if I’ve made the right decision…:help:
When I was looking at 6 month old S3 sportback with 5k miles, they were only about 1.5k cheaper than a new one, however I wanted to move away from Audi.
Looked a new GTI also, but with a decent spec you are looking at 30K. 5 Door fast hatch backs all seem really pricey… Not sure where I would stand in cancelling my order and getting my money back, or what I’d go for if I did…:confused:
There is lots of ill feeling towards this car from the faithful, think mainly down the cost of it.

should have saved yourself 4k and just get the normal cupra, pretty much the same car

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
I cant believe they havent done anything to the outside...bring back the origional mk1 designers! SEAT just arnt listening tbh.

yeeeaaahhhh!!!!! I agree completely. Ive been toying with the idea if getting a mk2 cupra, but everytime i walk away from my LCR at the petrol station, seeing it from a distance, walking back to it in a car park etc.....it just looks so awesome. I love the LCR, if only they had merely tweaked the design rather than change. DAMN YOU SEAT MK2!! (kidding)

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
Also, while im here, why not just buy a second hand cupra, spend £400 and an ECU remap and have 300BHP, rather than spend at least £20k and "only" get 260bhp.

Plus, i think the original mk2 is better looking than this facelifted version....at the front anyway, i do prefer the back end taillights on the facelited model.

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Who would have though the day would come when a Ford would cost more than a BMW. A 1 Series is now better value than a Focus and the same goes for a 3 Series v's a Mondeo. BMW decided instead of constant price increases to reduce the spec slightly clever penny pinching or good ploy? Look at the price of the new Astra shocking :headhurt:

VW are not exactly cheap either and the Leon still undercuts the Golf by 2-4K on average. Residual wise the Seat's are pretty good and the Leon is still in the top 10 for residuals. But the higher the price you pay the more you will loose % wise.

The big issue is that prices have gone up and this blame Euro/Pound does not completeley cut it. Yes we can blame emision regulations as that has added about £200-500 to the cost of an engine over the past 3 years and diesels are going to get even more expensive to meet Euro VI.

Most cars seemed to have jumped up by about 1K in the past year and what about the jump from Pre FL to FL Leon 16.5K to 19650 for the FR TSi and 17K to 19.5K for FR TDi. I know in both cases the newer engine is more expensive but not by the same amount as the jump in price. Hyundai and Kia will increase market share no doubt as they are affordable cars and scrappage as proven this. I finish with 31K for a Golf now that is fairy land who would of thought of a Golf costing 31K and with a waiting list 5 years ago??????

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
Just come back from a dealer and they confirmed that my 04 Cupra R 225 in plat grey, with 33k miles and in excellent condition is only worth £6200 - £6500 max at trade in value.

So now im thinking, im going to have to find twice that amount to get a decent second hand mk2 cupra...so im now more tempted to get my one modded.

I would get a Ford over a BMW anyday of the week. every single BMW driver drives like an idiot, looks like and idiot, thinks they're cool, drives with thier right hand on the left side of the stearing wheel, leaning to the centre of the car.....they're just pr*cks.

The only BMW i would be tempted by is the 135 coupe.

I apologise to all the decent BMW drivers out there, ive just never seen you.

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Just come back from a dealer and they confirmed that my 04 Cupra R 225 in plat grey, with 33k miles and in excellent condition is only worth £6200 - £6500 max at trade in value.

So now im thinking, im going to have to find twice that amount to get a decent second hand mk2 cupra...so im now more tempted to get my one modded.

I would get a Ford over a BMW anyday of the week. every single BMW driver drives like an idiot, looks like and idiot, thinks they're cool, drives with thier right hand on the left side of the stearing wheel, leaning to the centre of the car.....they're just pr*cks.

The only BMW i would be tempted by is the 135 coupe.

I apologise to all the decent BMW drivers out there, ive just never seen you.

Seen many bad BMW drivers and quite a few good ones and I can say on all my BMW's I got the indicators enabled, quite a few decent ones at babybmw.net. Its Audi's that I see driving badly more often these days :shrug:

£6200- £6500 is pretty good for an 04 plate car nearly 6 years old and still worth 35% that is a Ford or Vauxhall at 3 years!! Just sold our 57 plate Cadillac for £6500 :cry: Glad we were the second owner 21K new as lost over 60% in the first year!!

Last edited:

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
well saw a Renault megane coupe on the road today RS 250 in white and it was schwinnnggggggggggggggggggg , it was gorgeous , i hate french cars but that was tasty , great reviews as well.
waiting for my dealer to get one in so i can test drive one :whistle:

Poverty

well saw a Renault megane coupe on the road today RS 250 in white and it was schwinnnggggggggggggggggggg , it was gorgeous , i hate french cars but that was tasty , great reviews as well.
waiting for my dealer to get one in so i can test drive one :whistle:

Visited the audi dealer again today. Test driving their TTRS either monday or tuesday this week or next. Secretly for the sake of my wallet im hoping I wont like it!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.