Looking at a 16v =]

Dec 3, 2009
just trying to find out the common problems and what to look for when I go see it!

I've had polo/lupo before and it seems to be exactly the same problems

pedal box
ALL electricals lol

is gearbox ever stiff? crunch? I'm guessing so as the pedal box but I know the VWs have awful gearboxs that just fall apart when you show it the red line a couple of times

& there's a lot of won't start.. is this common on all mk2? is it easy fix?

basically been looking at a cheaper, but still quick car
the only other thing I can think of is a saxo VTS but I don't think I can do it...
and I want air con!

EDIT
I've read 0-60 is 8 seconds and 0-100 around 22s
are these figures right ?

Last edited:

vngtx

im constantly redlining my 8v. not broken it yet :) common problems - rust on rear arches, clutch cable stretched, clutch pedal lower than the other pedals is a sign that either the cable or pedal box is on way out, coilpacks should come free with cornflakes. take a look at my thread about my kiwi nightmare and all those in the list are common problems.

Dec 3, 2009
I want a green 16V lol !

thanks just read through it
may be looking at it tomorrow, can't decide

vngtx

very unlikely to find a 16v one in green or kiwi, and all the green 16v ones on autotrader are actually 8vs that are listed wrong.

Dec 3, 2009
oh dear! :(

how can I tell the difference between a real 16V and 8V?

did the 2.0 16V only come in one power output? 150bhp ?

vngtx

yea 16v is 150hp, 8v is 115hp, the main differences are the interior, 16v is half leather, alloys are 16'' multispokes like the ones in my pic, and the spoiler has a little upward lip on it. the 16v has slightly bigger front brakes on it.

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
With the 16v gearbox (02A) I know of a few people local to me using the same gearbox with the 20vT lump conversions and it's very commonly used with 20vT conversions in Mk2 Golf's etc.... It's a very stonger gearbox, I have given mine a beating but it as been rebuilt with short ratio's and a diff lol

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
very unlikely to find a 16v one in green or kiwi, and all the green 16v ones on autotrader are actually 8vs that are listed wrong.

Seen a tho on Pistonheads and yes they are actually 16v ;) They weren't a limited edition or anything

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
apart from people crashing them or scraping them I can't see any other reason and that goes for the rest of the colours to really.

vngtx

most mk2s that i saw when i was looking for mine were all down south in cornwall or way up north. look hard enough and be patient enough, and be willing to travel for it, and you would get the one you want.

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
gearbox being crap? :confused:
mine is a tank, and i have red-lined her more then a few times?

its like any car, if abused all the time, will be crap! most the starting problems are due to the crap winter we had, most the starting problems are coil packs, that are about £30, and 2 bolts (but nuts fall behind scuttle panel if you don't catch them)

everyone says the 8v is easier to live with as it has torque and power lower down the rev range, but the 16v has it from 3500rpm onwards

but as i have never drove the 8v i cannot comment, but i find my 16v to be fine!
fuel economy again is like any other car, depends how you drive, i can get 28+mpg around town, and 38+mpg on motorway (most times it's like 42mpg on motorway)

ABF engine (16v) ---->
engine%20out%20back.jpg

AGG engine (8v) ---->
engine.jpg

read this thread http://seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=111235

vngtx

it makes everything perfectly clear!! what a mistake i made being a cheapskate and buying an 8v!! :rolleyes: the torque thing is probably came about because the 8v peaks earlier just with less torque all the way up the power band.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise