Diagram for PCV system on LCR anyone?

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
Hello,

I have the standard oily residue on the PCV pipes under my intake manifold; decided its about time I sorted it so I plan to remove the PCV and fit a catch can.

Now I have seen multiple parts diagrams for the LH intake manifold PCV systems; but the LCR's is slightly different. I'm checked VAGCAT and the diagram is wrong! Anyone got a diagram, or willing to write a full explanation of what the PCV system does before I remove it?

From what I understand it uses vacuum from the intake mani to aid scavenging oil from the crankcase breathers? And the PCV valve stops boost going through the ventilation system when the intake mani pressure is positive? This correct?

If I remove the PCV system, run the two breather ports to a t piece and into a catch can, and then a pipe from the catch can to the TIP I will still maintain the vacuum source from the TIP yes?

Thoughts from people in the know please? :D

Cheers

phatchoonz1

Feb 26, 2005
Orpington, Kent
I'll have a look on elsa this afternoon and see if I can find the diagram for it for you.
I had my PCV system apart last weekend on my LCR as it was all blocked up with sludge after a cold winter and too many short journeys, I cleaned it out as best as I can, but i've got a catch can on order now which i'm planning to get fitted this weekend.

Ape

-----Hairy Hoonigan-----
I'll have a look on elsa this afternoon and see if I can find the diagram for it for you.
I had my PCV system apart last weekend on my LCR as it was all blocked up with sludge after a cold winter and too many short journeys, I cleaned it out as best as I can, but i've got a catch can on order now which i'm planning to get fitted this weekend.

I would ask if you'd mind if I came and offered a hand, but you live a little too far away :blink: I've got friends in Orpington too! Could you get some step by step pictures up for us?

May 13, 2007
Denmark
Here you go:

AMK_BAM.JPG

May 13, 2007
Denmark
It should be it, I can really see the point in showing the picture from the other side, as the manifold would cover for what yo uare trying to see.

It's the diagram from the ETKA spareparts program with the AMK/BAM listed.

SalSheikh

Under the Hood
Sep 2, 2009
Midlands, UK
i think someone on a golf mk4 forum has done this mod and it is quite detailed...since then there has been a group buy organisd for an american make catch can saikou make i thinks.

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
I am fully aware of the guide on MKIV section; there are just a few differences in the hose routing with the LCR. The brake booster pipe fro example is none-existent! Gubien's second diagram has helped alot. Thanks.
The Saikou catch can you talk of; is this not the can that Robdon was using when his engine went bang due to over-baffling in the catch can?

phatchoonz1

Feb 26, 2005
Orpington, Kent
Sorry I didn't get a chance to get the picture up yesterday afternoon, looks like Gubien has posted the picture for me though!

This is definitely the layout for the AMK/BAM engine...

AMK_BAM_2.JPG
[/QUOTE]

I'll try and get some pics of the install as I do it anyway though!

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
Thanks for the diagrams guys. I did this mod today, removed the PCV system and fitted a catch can (toyosport) with the exit of the catch can going to the TIP to draw vacuum.

The second brake booster hose I have blocked off and the spare nipple under the mani is also now blocked.

Car runs much smoother like this, idle is stable instead of jumping up and down as it used to. Cost me £40 inc. hose, t piece and catch can.

When removing the PCV I noticed there was a lot of oil around it so I'm guessing it has been leaking for a while; glad I did this mod for this reason alone!

Cuprar72

Aug 29, 2017
East sussex
Can it b done with inlet manifold in place still? Looks a pain to get too, also where have u mounted catch can? Links to parts u used please

Mar 16, 2013
Shrewsbury
Its pretty simple to fit a catch can. helps to delete the n249 too.

you pretty much end up with a vac pipe from the mani to the DV, a vac pipe from the mani to the FPR.

a single pipe from the to of the oil cooler to the inlet of the catch can, which along the way meets up with the pipe from the rocker cover.

you then return from the catch can to the intake pipe.

you also have to blank off one of the bigger connectors below the inlet manifold. (with a bung)

all the pipework under the manifold you can get rid of, including the hockey puck(assuming you use a decent catch can).

https://imgur.com/a/LBASg

hopefully that works.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k30/tufftybloke/Random/Car/S3/Build/20100927_IMAG0340.jpg

on this pic, the 2 smaller pipes are the FPR/DV connectors, the larger one on the right you blank off.

as per above, its a real pain to do it all from scratch with the mani still attached, alot easier to just take it off, since you havta re connect all the vac pipes below it.

pm me on instagram if u need anymore help.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.