Headlights problem

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Hi all,

Was out driving out of town after dark tonight for the first time in my LCR and noticed a problem with the headlights. On main lights dipped they seem strong enough, just like they're angled down a little too much. They light up the road nicely but the beam seems to stop pretty much dead maybe 2 car lengths away. On full beam they seem fine, just not on dipped.

I'd really rather not go to the extent of installing HIDs despite what a lot of people on here think about them, I'd be happy to swap the current bulbs for something better (nightbreakers, blue vision etc.) but I'm not convinced it's the strength of the bulbs that's the problem, just like I said it's as if they're pointing too much towards the ground. Anyone got any idea? Is this a common thing?

Cheers

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Ah - not stupid at all, i had meant to say i'd tried that but they're already set as high as it'll go.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Not sure what you mean? They're on the "highest" setting right now, i.e. set so they extend the longest way down the road in front. If I adjust them the end of the beams seem to get closer. At the longest setting, the beam seems to extend about 2 car lengths ahead. Not cool when driving at 60 or 70mph out of town where there are no street lights.

As I said, it's not that they fade away a short distance from the car, they seem to stop dead so I don't think it's that the lights aren't strong enough. On full beam they seem pretty decent too (better than my old Fiat anyway). Hence why I don't want to go the lengths of fitting HIDs, particularly not if it's a legal grey-area.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
OK cool, i'll have a look this afternoon. Won't be able to tell if there's much difference til after dark tho :) Cheers, will see how that goes.

SalSheikh

Under the Hood
Sep 2, 2009
Midlands, UK
take it to an mot place that is friendly and ask them to adjust it so its at the correct level/setting. they may charge you a litle fee but it might just be worth it!

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
take it to an mot place that is friendly and ask them to adjust it so its at the correct level/setting. they may charge you a litle fee but it might just be worth it!

Thing is, the dealer I bought the car from put it through its' MOT before I collected it so in theory at least it should be road legal. I guess road legal and safe are different things...

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Had a quick look this afternoon, found a white adjuster behind the driver's side headlamp but just the one that was obvious. Adam, when you say "the one on the other side" do you mean on the other headlamp? If so, which direction does the driver's side one adjust?

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Had a quick look this afternoon, found a white adjuster behind the driver's side headlamp but just the one that was obvious. Adam, when you say "the one on the other side" do you mean on the other headlamp? If so, which direction does the driver's side one adjust?

No there are 2 adjusters on each light.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
No there are 2 adjusters on each light.

OK well i could only see one on the driver's side one, I think for the passenger side I'll need to take a cover off or something? Also, the only one I could see on the drivers side was on the side furthest from the driver's side wing, is that the height one or the left/right one? Where is the other one?

Cheers for all the help so far :)

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
OK well i could only see one on the driver's side one, I think for the passenger side I'll need to take a cover off or something? Also, the only one I could see on the drivers side was on the side furthest from the driver's side wing, is that the height one or the left/right one? Where is the other one?

Cheers for all the help so far :)

I'm not sure to be honest, maybe its the same as the link above?

You could always try it and find out?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.