Mk4 Suspension

petercastleton

A theory

I have Apex 35mm lowering springs on my TDi 130 and the rear is still high. Looking at the box I'm not sure if they give you different springs no matter what model you order for. The TDi lump is heavy and would surely need heavier front springs. I'm not happy with the ride height or the ride, the front is crashy. :(

Think I'm going to have to go down the coilover route.....

d.kenny

what are the coilovers like you can get on ebay for like 160 pound??? they come with tuv approval and 3 years warranty???!!! surely this is too good to be true right? has any body got them fitted or can you recommend them or stay away lol???

Disco_Biscuit

Ibiza Cupra Tdi PD200
Jul 8, 2007
what are the coilovers like you can get on ebay for like 160 pound??? they come with tuv approval and 3 years warranty???!!! surely this is too good to be true right? has any body got them fitted or can you recommend them or stay away lol???

I've just bought the Rokkor ones, going to fit them today, they look really good quality which i was suprised about.

I'll let you know how it turns out :)

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
Yes FK kits require shorter drop links. I've got V-Maxx shorter links fitted to my Konigsport kit. Iirc they cost about £40 from DPM

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
With shorter drop links you can lower it all the way to the bottom of the adjuster thread without the arb causing any problems.

Originally when I fitted my kit I dropped the front 60mm with my 17" wheels (205/40 tyres). Sump and ARB caused no issues but if I hit a dip in the road the tyres would scrub on part of the arch lining. The area where the tyre was scrubbing could have been cut away but I didn't want to butcher my arch linings!

I've since raised my car 10mm and fitted my original 16" wheels (205/45) It's still low but it's more comfortable and driveable :)

WILCEY_FR

Eibachs

:help: hey guys been reading through all the posts but didnt really find anything so wondering if anyonne can help, ive got the new facelift mk4, are all the parts i need to order the same as the 02 onwards model? and if so whaa lowering springs have peeps bought and would recommend i dont need all the rest of the arm just the lowered springs, plz help,thanx aldibal

Ive got Eibachs 30 front 25 rear. Very good, just waiting to settle a little more.

denMla

Mar 27, 2010
Croatia
Hello, Fellas!
I am preety close to buy and install Bilstein B8 shocks and H&R lowering springs. (salesman claims it is the same as Bilstein B12 kit - because these 2 companies work theire springs together?)
Price is about 700 € (guess it's about 550 GBP).

What is your opinion on that kit? How it's compare to a similare priced coilover kits (Lowtec for egsample)?

Have searched forums but only opinion s i have found is due the lowering superiority of cheaper coils, or in other hand driving superiority of EXPENSIVE coils. No comparison spring/shock kit vs coils in the same price range.

Vehicle is Ibiza 1.9 TDI SPORT, 100HP - soon to be remaped to about 145HP, wheels are 205/45/16 (7J and ET is 35).Allready with Cupra bushes 'cause my mechanic said it is better - and I confirm since I got them for a year - steering is a bit more firm and precise!
Lowering the car is not issue here unless it is in service of funktionality!

I am looking for better performance in handling on regular twisty roads with all kinds of asphalt, some patchets and some dips - please consider this while you coment!:)
Not interesting in "low to the ground" show off 'cause I don't believe it gaines more speed and more secure drive trough the curves on regular roads.

P.S. English is not my native language so feel free to correct me or ask if something is bad explained!
Thanks!

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Hello, Fellas!
I am preety close to buy and install Bilstein B8 shocks and H&R lowering springs. (salesman claims it is the same as Bilstein B12 kit - because these 2 companies work theire springs together?)
Price is about 700 € (guess it's about 550 GBP).

What is your opinion on that kit? How it's compare to a similare priced coilover kits (Lowtec for egsample)?

Have searched forums but only opinion s i have found is due the lowering superiority of cheaper coils, or in other hand driving superiority of EXPENSIVE coils. No comparison spring/shock kit vs coils in the same price range.

Vehicle is Ibiza 1.9 TDI SPORT, 100HP - soon to be remaped to about 145HP, wheels are 205/45/16 (7J and ET is 35).Allready with Cupra bushes 'cause my mechanic said it is better - and I confirm since I got them for a year - steering is a bit more firm and precise!
Lowering the car is not issue here unless it is in service of funktionality!

I am looking for better performance in handling on regular twisty roads with all kinds of asphalt, some patchets and some dips - please consider this while you coment!:)
Not interesting in "low to the ground" show off 'cause I don't believe it gaines more speed and more secure drive trough the curves on regular roads.

P.S. English is not my native language so feel free to correct me or ask if something is bad explained!
Thanks!

Hi
Don't worry about your English, it's better than many on here use :)

I have the Bilstein B12 kit, but it's on a VW Passat estate - so it's a very very different handling car to the Ibiza to start with (I used to have a Mk4 Ibiza so I know how different they are).
The springs in my kit are actually marked "Bilstein" on them.

I wasn't interested in lowering the car either, I don't really care about how it looks, just wanted better handling performance, as the standard setup was pretty poor (and quite old & worn). I also travel on a lot of rural roads where it is common to get debris in the road (dead animals, stones, bits of wood, allsorts!) and also snow in the winter, so I still need reasonable ground clearance.

I figured that a decent damper & spring kit tailored to the specific car & axle weights would be a better bet than a cheap adjustable coilover kit that would probably never be adjusted correctly, and therefore never ultimately achieve the same level of performance.

I've been very pleased - the handling of the Passat is much improved, and I driving it is now actually slightly enjoyable. At the same time, the ride is very comfortable. Even my Mum commented on the comfy ride (and she didn't know I'd changed anything).
I think the drop was something around 30mm off a standard Passat ride height, but as mine is a Sport model which already sits around 15mm lower than standard, the drop for me was not as much.
I would not want to go any lower, the car is quite prone to hitting things in the road now, and during the snow recently, I was almost at the point where the car was beaching out on the snow between the tyre tracks. The engine undertray has taken a bit of a battering.
I recall that the undertray of the Mk4 Ibiza is quite low as standard.

I do find on roads with lots of dips, the car does bottom out - but the Passat is quite a lot heavier than the Ibiza. When I bought the kit, the car was regularly used to drive my wife and baby around, so the B12 kit was ideal as the ride quality is very good. Now the car is only driven by me, and if I was buying a kit again I think I'd like something which was more stiffly damped.

One of the reasons I chose Bilstein was because of the design of the dampers, and their reputation for quality and long life.

I don't know how useful this info is, as the cars are very very different :shrug:
I suspect it would be a big improvement on the standard Mk4 suspension though !

denMla

Mar 27, 2010
Croatia
Hi
Don't worry about your English, it's better than many on here use :)

Thanks mate! Not learned in school, but from music and movies. Believe that's why I strugle sometimes with some of words or sentences, not to mention technical terms and expressions!

I have the Bilstein B12 kit, but it's on a VW Passat estate - so it's a very very different handling car to the Ibiza to start with (I used to have a Mk4 Ibiza so I know how different they are).
The springs in my kit are actually marked "Bilstein" on them.

In did - quite different hangover of chassiss and weight ratio, and weight it self. I used to drive back in 90's station wagon Passat, guess it is uncomparable with modern line, but the weight is I guess similar.

I wasn't interested in lowering the car either, I don't really care about how it looks, just wanted better handling performance, as the standard setup was pretty poor (and quite old & worn). I also travel on a lot of rural roads where it is common to get debris in the road (dead animals, stones, bits of wood, allsorts!) and also snow in the winter, so I still need reasonable ground clearance.

We understand each other!:)

I figured that a decent damper & spring kit tailored to the specific car & axle weights would be a better bet than a cheap adjustable coilover kit that would probably never be adjusted correctly, and therefore never ultimately achieve the same level of performance.

Makes sense to me!:yes:

I've been very pleased - the handling of the Passat is much improved, and I driving it is now actually slightly enjoyable. At the same time, the ride is very comfortable. Even my Mum commented on the comfy ride (and she didn't know I'd changed anything).

I have found that thread and have remember mums opinion!:coolthumb:D

I do find on roads with lots of dips, the car does bottom out - but the Passat is quite a lot heavier than the Ibiza. When I bought the kit, the car was regularly used to drive my wife and baby around, so the B12 kit was ideal as the ride quality is very good. Now the car is only driven by me, and if I was buying a kit again I think I'd like something which was more stiffly damped.

Guess with smoler mass hang over front and rear axle on Ibiza that could be to somewhat reduced? Maybe I'm totaly wrong...:whistle:

One of the reasons I chose Bilstein was because of the design of the dampers, and their reputation for quality and long life.

Yes, the reputation is undenied! Especially among BMW posey!

I don't know how useful this info is, as the cars are very very different :shrug:
I suspect it would be a big improvement on the standard Mk4 suspension though !

Thank you very, very much for reply! I guess any opinion is usefull after some thinking trough the matter! Off course experience with at least some similar hight, bright and weight hatchback could come closer to the real answer. (if it exsist anyway!)
But you have pointed me that yours springs are not rock hard. That could be good with some shocks with excursion that is slightly harder than suspension on "regular" traks...excuse me - I mean roads!:redface:;)

Gav_Lewis

Still got vibration/knocking from the front suspension

Hi,

I finally got around to changing the front wishbone bushes and ARB on my 05 FR (also the garage changed a drop-link on one side) BUT...

...I've still got a knocking/rattling coming from the front suspension and vibration coming through the steering wheel whenever I'm on rough ground, especially on full lock or turning moderately.

Any ideas what this could be? Is it simply that the suspension is stiffer now that I have the Cupra bushes on there?

Gone are the "deep clonks" of the worn bushes and ARB, this is different. I feel/hear it even on moderately bumpy roads and the frequency of knocking is high, several per second rather than one deep one every pothole.

Thanks for any advice,

Cheers

Gav

John_FR

Hey,

I'm looking to lower my Ibiza Fr tdi (56plate) , could somebody tell me what i would need, eg.shorter drop links etc. My budget is quite low (about £250) obviously i can't afford coilovers, but what would be the best set up i could get for my budget and where could i buy from?

Cheers, John.

orange

Jun 9, 2006
Hey,

I'm looking to lower my Ibiza Fr tdi (56plate) , could somebody tell me what i would need, eg.shorter drop links etc. My budget is quite low (about £250) obviously i can't afford coilovers, but what would be the best set up i could get for my budget and where could i buy from?

Cheers, John.

I would say H&R springs. p/n 29333-3.

Cheers,
João

John_FR

Cheers, any idea where i could find them on the net,done a quick google search and didnt find anything.

John.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.