stupid oil filter

jordywood

has anybody else had severe problems getting their old oil filter off? my car is stuck until i do n its been 36 hours n iv used chain wrench n laser cap to no avail even tryed screwdriver through it but no luck?! any ideas please

Zero

Feb 11, 2005
Go to mechanic and borrow from him a special tool

82253.jpg

vngtx

or just jab a screwdriver straight though it and use the screww driver to un-screw it ;)

I've got one of the chain type devices, which works a treat once you've got the 'nack' ;)

ive done that a few times before as a last resort but could end up ripping through the whole filter as u turn it, if possible you could get the oil filter housing off and put filter in a vice and turn the housing with big grips.

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
did mine today, untwisted it with my hand. i am the hulk.

it shouldnt be as tight as it sounds like it is. just take a second and make sure your going the right way, because it is mounted upside down and it would be fairly easy to mix up.

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
alot of people don't bother rubbing some pil on the seal of the new filter, so when you then come to take it off, the rubber has 'bonded' to the filter housing, making it damn hard to undo.

Also, when you fit the new filter, just do it up hand tight.....

Caffienated

Dec 2, 2009
Bristol
I had a 205 git that refused to give up it's filter even after shoving a screwdriver through it.

I've tried strap wrenches, chain wrenches and alternatives (old cam belt + spanner + ingenuity can be ok)

What I find the only sure method though for when all else fails is a filter wrench - basically a pair of mole (vice) grips with a wide jaw. You clamp it round teh filter near the engine end, and then just turn it like you would a spanner. Space to use one can be a problem with some configurations, but I know there's enough space in a GTi Cupra Sport's bonnet. Just used one on Friday... Shouldn't be much more than five or six quid in a motor factors'.

As already posted, if the filter's been put on properly and not then left there too long it really ought to come off by hand alone though, and this should always be your first approach. Any tool risks damaging a filter, at which point you have no option but to finish the job properly before you can start your car again!

jordywood

thanks for the replys i managed to kinda chisel it off eventually pain in the arse though was completly bonded, cheers

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.