Elmos Toledo - Project Cupra....

Elmo85

Mar 28, 2010
Cheshire
Last weekend I bought a 2002 Seat Toledo with 70k on the clock as a 2nd car just to use as a daily driver so I can get some good MPG on the way to work and on any long journeys I do.

So far it's been great! Climate control, CD changer, Electric windows all round, parking sensors, Trip computer, cruise control and a REVO Remap to 140bhp/240lbft. It's perfect for what I want it for !

At first I got the car as a bit of a joke (no offence to any Toledo owners!) but I literally just wanted a reliable run around. But since I've got the car I've decided I'm going to make it into a bit of a project, after all it's techinically the same underneath as a leon so why not make my own little project I thought. So I can have something pretty smart to run around in

So below unfolds My own Toledo Cupra Project.......

I only got the car last weekend, however I've been reasonably busy considering I've only had it a week and already the car is looking miles better than it did before !!

I shall include some pictures as we go on of the transformation but things I have managed to do this weekend include...

- Lowering Shocks and Springs 50mm front drop. 35mm Rear drop. 25% uprated. I do all this kind of work myself so managed to get the rear done on Friday evening and spent most of Saturday doing the fronts (Damn those rusty bolts!)

- I fitted some white LED Sidelights
- I fitted some white Numberplate Lights
- Drove to Maidstone to pick up some Cupra-R wheels up off of "cupragav" The wheels
are black with a diamond cut surface (Still not 100% sure on this look)
- Fitted them this morning along with some 5mm spacers on the rear.
- A Good Clean and Some Tyre Black!

Not quite as many jobs as I had hoped, but nevertheless it's a start!

STAGE 1 is complete !

I have thought about totally changing the front bumper, but at the moment I'm going to just tidy the current bumper up and see how that looks.

Also bear in mind the suspension has only just been fitted so it will settle and drop a bit more. But yes the rear is higher than the front as I like front wheel drive cars to have a nose heavy stance.

STAGE 2 next weekend will include: -

- HID 6000K kit
- Totally debadge the rear apart from "S" SEAT Badge
- Paint the brake calipers red

STAGE 3 in the future will include: -

- Colour coding front and rear bumper bottom valances
- Cupra R Front splitter

....after that we shall see !!

13325_385908634795_507014795_3748955_264849_n.jpg

13325_385908639795_507014795_3748956_4226467_n.jpg

13325_385912264795_507014795_3749065_6345382_n.jpg

13325_385912279795_507014795_3749067_5269206_n.jpg

13325_385912299795_507014795_3749069_7059648_n.jpg

13325_385912304795_507014795_3749070_4004784_n.jpg

13325_385912349795_507014795_3749073_2162041_n.jpg

13325_385912379795_507014795_3749078_671177_n.jpg

13325_385912399795_507014795_3749081_2447938_n.jpg

13325_385912409795_507014795_3749083_2122335_n.jpg

One thing I would like to mention. I am slightly worried about if anyone can help. I've put 5mm spacers on the rear because the wheels were to far in for my liking, but I checked and the bolts now ony have 5 whole turns before being done up rather than the original 8 turns on the 15" wheels. The cupra wheels without spacers were 7 turns. I've done a few miles and checked everything was still fine. But Am I being risky with only 5 turns of thread??

Last edited:

TerrificToledo

Apr 1, 2010
I'd get longer bolts if i were you haha. I got 7mm on the back i bought some new bolts, not too expensive tbh. there's someone on here that sells the longer bolts, or if you cant find him there's loads on ebay.

Your projects really similar to mine atm lol, im still on the lookout for alloys though, and i'm going to put a cupra r front bumper on it when i find one cheap enough.

Keep me updated with pics, interested to see :)

Elmo85

Mar 28, 2010
Cheshire
I've just been busy posting. So I'm up to 15 posts now and can finally post pictures!

I think you're right about the longer bolts. I'm gonna look into that because if I'm honest I think it needs 10mm spacing, even with the 5mm the wheels stick way too far in and I would definitely never get away with 10mm on the original bolts!

Good idea with your cupra-r bumper, I am thinking of that. But can't justify that at the moment as this is only intended to be a 2nd car. For now standard bumper with an LCR splitter will have to do.

I think when I get the car colour coded I might leave the bump strips black to break it up a bit. All red might not work so well.

Last edited:

TerrificToledo

Apr 1, 2010
Same alloys as mine (originally) :) can't wait to change them though.. haha, the cupra bumper is just a straight swap so it's pretty easy to do... but i'm not sure about the fog lights and stuff yet.. not sure what goes where like

i still need longer bolts myself so if you find some tidy ones let me know.

Leaving the black strips would probably be for the best yeah, as long as theyre kept black cos they look awful when they fade to grey lol

How much did you get the alloys for?

p.s. you need to stuff them wheels with huge brakes now :p

Matt xD

1.9...stefan

HYBRID???
Aug 21, 2008
grimsby
plans sound good mate... looks good in the pictures aswell, wheels look really really nice, wouldnt mind swapping mine for a set like them... maybe colour code the side strips aswell

Last edited:

Elmo85

Mar 28, 2010
Cheshire
Same alloys as mine (originally) :) can't wait to change them though.. haha
How come you want a change then? Just bored? I quite like the shape of the wheel, So I reckon these will stay for a while.

the cupra bumper is just a straight swap so it's pretty easy to do... but i'm not sure about the fog lights and stuff yet.. not sure what goes where like

I think the cupra bumper is pretty straight forward swap, But I've read for the cupra-R its alot more complicated. You apparently need to change both front wheel arches etc. Still, definitely not impossible !!

i still need longer bolts myself so if you find some tidy ones let me know.
Yeh I will do. I reckon it could be potentially quite expensive though, because we are gonna need new longer locking nut bolts too and they cost a bit for a set don't they.

Leaving the black strips would probably be for the best yeah, as long as theyre kept black cos they look awful when they fade to grey lol
Don't worry the back to black came straight out the garage today. haha. I'll leave them black to start with. Could always paint them after if need be!

How much did you get the alloys for?
£450, which I think is a bargain because they have brand new tyres on!

p.s. you need to stuff them wheels with huge brakes now :p
haha. so true! The discs look totally lost!! However this is only a daily driver, so I think painting the calipers is about as far as brake upgrades will go. lol.

Good to see another Toledo person is out there though. The toledo modding world seems a bit thin on the ground from what I've seen.

TerrificToledo

Apr 1, 2010
My tires went down to the absolute legal limit on the cupra alloys so ig ot the old ones back on and stupidly sold the cupra alloys because i needed the cash. i think i'm gonna go for the audi TT aloys next.

450 was a good deal though yeah :)

Debadging the back makes such a nice difference mind, surprisingly sets it off a bit. My front discs are a bit warped anyway so when i finally get enough for the TT rims i'll fill them out with some nice drilled discs.

I'll upload some pics when i get the chance, speak soon

Elmo85

Mar 28, 2010
Cheshire
Stefan just had a look at your reader ride thread. I really like what you've done with yours !!
I can see myself having something similar to that after a year or so.
Good to hear the cupra-R bumper is not so difficult. Because I think even when I paint the standard bumper it still won't look so good. It will do for a while though

Matt Good choice on TT wheels! I so nearly went for them! Even thought about new RS4 wheels. But in the end I decided to keep it "Seat" and go with these.

It's great to see some other toledo modders out there :eek:)

TerrificToledo

Apr 1, 2010
RS6's i wanted first, but there's an Oetinger VW Bora going around where i live with them... so i wanted something different to them lol

With the TT alloys you cant really see past them as much as the cupras so i might get away with standard brakes :)

Jul 4, 2006
Maidstone,Kent
wheels look sweet mate, think it goes really well with the car :) do love them wheels they looked awsome on mine but times have to change, good luck with the car, i will keep up with your progress mate

Elmo85

Mar 28, 2010
Cheshire
wheels look sweet mate, think it goes really well with the car :) do love them wheels they looked awsome on mine but times have to change, good luck with the car, i will keep up with your progress mate

Yeh, Cheers again for the wheels Chap. Yeh it's work in progress, so we'll see how it goes!

Sorry again for messing you about and turning up so late :whistle: at least that cash is a slight bonus for you. haha.

Nice to meet you and your mate. Hope I didn't ruin your night at the local :happy: lol.

I'll try not to kerb the wheels :p

Take Care Bud.

Jul 4, 2006
Maidstone,Kent
Yeh, Cheers again for the wheels Chap. Yeh it's work in progress, so we'll see how it goes!

Sorry again for messing you about and turning up so late :whistle: at least that cash is a slight bonus for you. haha.

Nice to meet you and your mate. Hope I didn't ruin your night at the local :happy: lol.

I'll try not to kerb the wheels :p

Take Care Bud.

Not a problem mate. Good to meet you to.

And I managed to convince the misses to let me have half of the cash. So it took a trip with me to spring fest and I bought some silicone hoses for the r :) so all good

Elmo85

Mar 28, 2010
Cheshire
Well boys and girls its about time I did an update. I literally haven't logged onto the cupra forum in ages.
The Toledo was always intended for me as a second car to use backwards and forwards to work.

I ended up buying a really smart Honda S2000 as a toy, which I had for 6 months, loved it, until I recently wrote it off! Bit of a sensitive subject :( But it was totally my fault. You live and learn I guess....

Anyway, the Toledo is now my only car so, I decided to have a bit more focus on it, so instead of just using it, I'm back to modding again and hopefully there will be more to come now its my only car.

Recently I have......

- Totally repainted the wheels now so they are all Gloss Black.
- Polished the hell out of the car, clay bared and waxed it, back to black etc.
- Debadged The Rear
- Fitted 6000k xenons.
- White Number Plate Lights
- White Sidelights
- 5mm Spacers on Rear Wheels

There will be more to come eventually, but I plan on keeping the Toledo for the long commute to work, so it will be around for a while yet!

Heres some pictures as it sits now........

P1010509.jpg

P1010518.jpg

P1010521.jpg

P1010523.jpg

P1010526.jpg

P1010534.jpg

Last edited: