Guide To Fix a Broken Electric Window Switch!

Jan 8, 2008
Portsmouth
I thought I needed a new drivers side switch for the drivers window, but spraying a little WD40 into the small gap where you press the switch down towards has sorted it out :)

It would go up fine everytime, just not always down. Water must have got in and caused it to have a bad contact

thats the same prob i had! if u take the switch apart u wil find one or 2 of the discs a funny orange colour! eventualy it wont contact atall!

venner

Drives Ibiza Cupra T
Apr 21, 2009
Near Bristol
Great guide thanks just what i was looking for :)

Going to have a go at it in abit as my passenger window doesnt always go down from the driver side switch

venner

Drives Ibiza Cupra T
Apr 21, 2009
Near Bristol
Ok might seem a silly question but how do i remove the switch from the door?

What part of the door do i have to take off? As i dont want to break anything i would be grateful if any1 can help

Jan 8, 2008
Portsmouth
basicaly u just need to pop the plastic handle off, first remove the one around the silver handle, it will just pop off, slide somthing small behind if u cant get a grip! And then pull the long plastic part over the switches. Again it will just pop off!

venner

Drives Ibiza Cupra T
Apr 21, 2009
Near Bristol
Ok thanks will try that but for now the switch is working again as i put some WD40 down there so until it breaks again im leaving it alone :)

dave_6

Apr 26, 2005
Essex
Mines still working ok aswell! no issues at all since the wd40 spray down there! have to be more careful not to get them wet in future though

Big_A_Cupra20vt

Jan 4, 2007
margate
i have same problem but anyone know if its possible to get hold of the disks? or will i need to buy new switch units as 2 of the disks have actually split on mine so for now i swaped the switch from passenger side to drivers it works opposite but at least i can use my window although the missus does get pissed off she cant use hers :D

Nimshoi1

Outstanding bit of info.
I had this problem at weekend and this thread saved me £17.50 + VAT x2
Many thanks :funk:

Finbow20vt

i would just like to thank this thread for curing my anger at my windows :) sweet guide!!!

Trips

Stripped my switches apart a year ago to sand the rust off the contacts. The whole circuit board on both driver-side switches had pretty much corroded over, but with a bit of strategic scrubbing, got them into working order again.

Well, another year comes around and they've conked out on me again. Same deal, only this time one of the switches had corroded so much there wasn't anything left to salvage :/ It got me thinking, if these things are so susceptible to moisture damage, then maybe it would pay to waterproof the circuitry with some cling-film or something?

Adam R

Diesel ISN'T a Dirty word
Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
Stripped my switches apart a year ago to sand the rust off the contacts. The whole circuit board on both driver-side switches had pretty much corroded over, but with a bit of strategic scrubbing, got them into working order again.

Well, another year comes around and they've conked out on me again. Same deal, only this time one of the switches had corroded so much there wasn't anything left to salvage :/ It got me thinking, if these things are so susceptible to moisture damage, then maybe it would pay to waterproof the circuitry with some cling-film or something?

clingfilm would be awful as it would just cause condensation buildup which is a nono!

best thing to do would be to carefully tape up the contacts then use a resin type glue and cover the whole board in it... leave it to cure then carefully apply it to the metal disks where no contact is made...

this would eliminate the board from getting moisture damage :)

Trips

clingfilm would be awful as it would just cause condensation buildup which is a nono!

best thing to do would be to carefully tape up the contacts then use a resin type glue and cover the whole board in it... leave it to cure then carefully apply it to the metal disks where no contact is made...

this would eliminate the board from getting moisture damage :)

I did think that about clingfilm :)

Resin might do something but would also probably impede the disks from clicking down as they should, and if leaving the contact areas open it's still prone to the same problems. Bloody electrics!

John1989

My toledos passenger side window is going down but not up again.. does anyone know will this fix work for a toledo aswel? It has a different switch than the one in the pics and i dont want to start pulling it apart incase this wont work! Any help appreciated :)

Its a 99 model btw!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.