Remap on a 1.4 16v 75bhp Mk4

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
If it "brightened up" the feel of this engine then it might be worth it - even if it increases the number of "points" on the map by using bigger memory it would probably feel better and give better MPG figures, but no huge power gains are cheaply available for this engine.

Feb 25, 2009
Rotherham/Leeds
I'd like to do something performance wise, and will there be anything else which will produce such a performance gain for a similar price? How much bhp is an induction kit or exhaust etc likely to add?

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
I'll politely decline your offer lol! Wish i had a deisel cos i do lots of motorway miles, my car has no torque :(

Feb 25, 2009
Rotherham/Leeds
Much the same here! And I have a lot less power to play with in the first place! Really wish I'd gone for the 1.4TDi now, the before/after remap figures are awesome.

I'd sooner put that 200 towards lowering the car so you can carry the speed it took you so long to
build through the corners. That's what I did much more worth it than 5bhp

i agree with this fully thankfully i dont have to put up with a slouch of a car anymore but better suspension makes a huge difference when pulling away and stopping and obviously cornering,lighter alloys helps too i found on my old car.

Gaz44

Aug 19, 2009
Yeah, as above, put the money towards something else...suspension or brakes. 5hp is nothing and you'll not notice it - maybe better throttle response.

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
Any success stories of similar power gains on the 75bhp engine?

You wont have any similar stories, The reason he can do it with a 1.4TDI is because its a TDI and more specifically because its turbo'd.
With a Turbo they put caps on it to make it safe in all conditions and with all fuel types.

Because we have shat weather, and those limits can safely be lifted their easily tweakable as far as fuel timing and turbos are concerned.

On a naturally aspirated engine like yours there are no major gains to be had anywhere.

Feb 25, 2009
Rotherham/Leeds

mazzerati

Bags are for groceries!
Jun 27, 2008
Beverley, East Yorkshire
I'm not after any major gains, I'd just like to hit the 85bhp mark if possible.

Air induction kit?
http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap/11465/seat/green-single-cone-induction-kits/p522.html#top

How much of an effect would just changing the filter to a Green cotton one whilst in the standard airbox have compared to the full induction?

i dont mean to keep weeing on your bonfire mate. sorry lol :)

it will be good to make a noise with but as for increase in bhp you wont see nout cos they tend to suffer from heatsoak unless you get a cold air fed one.

ive found that putting a filter in the standard airbox is alot nicer and smoother accleration.

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
Do 1.4's have the same induction system as a FR/Cupra, I mean do they have airboxes? I think its just cone filters they end up going for?

You wont get that much heat soak on a 1.4 to be honest

I'd recommend Panel (If you can have one) Cone if you cant - filters
Full stainless exhaust system with a sports cat
A few other little mods (if anyone knows of more for the 1.4s)

Then take it for a custom remap, Hopefully they'll be able to tweak it for your specific mods and you'll gain those 10 horses that your after...

However with that said:

Full stainless system £400+ (If you go custom) £500+ if you go miltek etc/ (Again if they do one for the 1.4)

£50-60 for a cone filter I'd expect

Custom remap £300?
Non custom that wont benefit the mods £200

The cost of the parts + The cost of your insurance increase from modifications will gain you 6-10 horsepower and about £-1400 (inc insurance)

Honestly if you want to start doing things like this I'd recommend either the 1.4TDI which will give you better economy by a long shot + easier and cheaper tuning methods or the 1.9TDI which again is very cheap on insurance.

I had a 1.9TDI PD100, Very cheap on insurance. Had it tuned to 150bhp with 260ft lb of torque and it still did 700 miles to a tank :)

Now I know this is lengthy but if I was in your shoes I'd save the money your looking at spending. Trade your car in and get a 1.9TDI PD100 + A stage 1 remap at £260 and you'll crap your pants with glee.

However if you want to take the modifying a 1.4 route above is what I advise :)

mazzerati

Bags are for groceries!
Jun 27, 2008
Beverley, East Yorkshire
no they have the airbox as part as the engine cover thats why the induction kits suffer from heat soak becuase they are made to clipped straight on to the intake on top of the engine. so unless you get a cold air fed one its useless or get some cheecky pipes to route it somewhere cold.

as youve just listed the price of getting 20 horsepower is miles too high for a 1.4.

so much money that you could be putting towards your next car lol. unless you plan on keeping it ages then its really not cost effective is it tbh

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.