JamJay

California Bound
Great read Willie. I've taken some useful info away from this and your other thread in the MK1 section in regard to LSDs. I don't drive my car much anymore but on Saturday evening I fell in love with it again so I hope that someday, i'll take it as far, handling wise, as yourself.

Subscribed for future updates also :)

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
No bother bud, just PM me if you have any questions on handling set up.
My RR thread is becoming a bit of a monster, I'll have to try and index the seperate parts.

Que question to find out how to do this

robertj

weight is the enemy
So I've ordered:

http://www.superpro.eu.com/ProdDisplay_Ind.asp?App=TTMK1(2WD)&Prom=VAG&Model=132#SPF2576K

This I'll fit to the spare DBM I have with the powerflex bushes.
I'll also try it with the INA/034 Motorsport track density bushes.

We'll see how this performs on the Scottish National 1/4 mile meet at Crail race way :)

That's interesting. I have the Superpro bushes on the wishbones and ARB and Powerflex on the rear DBM. I didn't know they did one for the front. I'll be interested to hear how you get on with this. I should imagine it will stiffen things up significantly.

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Wow, that's really bad! I'm talking about this for the front bush of the dogbone:

SPF2575K.jpg

"This fantastic little product is what we call a void filling insert. The standard engine steady bush has casting holes left in it, these inserts from SuperPro have been designed to snugly fit into these holes minimising engine flex under acceleration. This greatly improves engine response, without causing harsh vibrations which other Polyurethane manufacturer's products can do."

Should tighten it up without adding vibrations.

matylad

Nov 24, 2005
Crewe, Cheshire
So what you’re saying Willie is that the INA mounts are/were a waste of money? After reading both yours and Robdon’s RR thread it seems to me that the INA mounts are no better than OEM and could possibly be worse?
Very interesting indeed. I would like to hear what INA have to say about this, I thought the street density were 50% stiffer than OEM and the track density 80% stiffer.

Matt.

jaymd

Jun 28, 2006
Macclesfield - Cheshire
Good to hear you still have the Octy.

I've not run the R888's on the track yet but have read about how best to set up the pressures by monitoring the tyre surface temperatures and adjusting to suit.
Depends on how far along your handling set up is and how far along your track driing skills are.

I'll be sticking to 2PSI above OEM hot on the front and 1PSI below OEM on the rear, due to vastly reduced rear end weight and the feeling at 33PSI the car wanted to swap ends

Dunno if this will be much help to you though.

Cheers for the info,it did help.Managed a few laps @ Castle Combe with thr R888's and it was a big improvement from last year.

Also I've been made aware of DBM bush replacements that Superpro do for the MK4 type.
This is to replace the front bush, the one that the bolt goes through to the clutch housing.

On investigating the different DBM's I've found there are different part numbers with different front bush stiffnesses.
The LCR one is the stiffest.
The ones that INA/034 Motorsport sell with there uprated rear bushes are slightly less stiff than the OEM LCR one. Now this will help absorb some of the vibrations for a street car.

BUT

As i'm going a different way I'll put up with all the vibrations to give me maximum performance.

So I've ordered:

http://www.superpro.eu.com/ProdDisplay_Ind.asp?App=TTMK1(2WD)&Prom=VAG&Model=132#SPF2576K

This I'll fit to the spare DBM I have with the powerflex bushes.
I'll also try it with the INA/034 Motorsport track density bushes.

We'll see how this performs on the Scottish National 1/4 mile meet at Crail race way :)

http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/jaymd1970/?action=view&current=IMG_0088.jpg&newest=1

I didn't get chance to fit this before CC,it's fully bushed up with the Super-pro ones.It's going to replace a Street Density Dogbone.

The front bush is solid and is easy enough to fit with the help of a vice.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Thats really interesting, i upgraded to a EIP DBM years ago and found it great, no vibrations at all during idle and greatly reduced wheel hop. You'd expect the track density to be a real hard ass.
the track density rubber in the rear of the DBM is hard as ####, but the front bush on the DBM 'seems' to be just a cheap VAG DBM

That's interesting. I have the Superpro bushes on the wishbones and ARB and Powerflex on the rear DBM. I didn't know they did one for the front. I'll be interested to hear how you get on with this. I should imagine it will stiffen things up significantly.
Yup, this should be as stiff as.
I hated the powerflex bush before but will take the extra vibrations in the hope they give performance gains

So what you’re saying Willie is that the INA mounts are/were a waste of money? After reading both yours and Robdon’s RR thread it seems to me that the INA mounts are no better than OEM and could possibly be worse?
Very interesting indeed. I would like to hear what INA have to say about this, I thought the street density were 50% stiffer than OEM and the track density 80% stiffer.

Matt.
The INA track density rubber seems good, but perhaps the street density rubber is not such good quality, see very diplomatic ;)

Cheers for the info,it did help.Managed a few laps @ Castle Combe with thr R888's and it was a big improvement from last year.
I didn't get chance to fit this before CC,it's fully bushed up with the Super-pro ones.It's going to replace a Street Density Dogbone.
The front bush is solid and is easy enough to fit with the help of a vice.
sounds good, looking forward to doing this as I have a 1/4 mile sprint day coming up soon

How easy are the bushes to remove and fit new ones? I might remove all the bushes from my dogbone and fit new ones, although I'm more tempted just to replace the lot with THS mounts.
would be interesting to find out if THS change the front bush or if its a LCR DBM with there bush in the rear.
Or another combination??

jaymd

Jun 28, 2006
Macclesfield - Cheshire
How easy are the bushes to remove and fit new ones? I might remove all the bushes from my dogbone and fit new ones, although I'm more tempted just to replace the lot with THS mounts.

The rear bush (comes in 2 pieces) is easy as it's just a matter of undoing the retaining bolt that holds them together.

Front bush is a little more difficult,but with the aid of a bench vice and a socket the correct size it's easy enough.Just a matter of using a socket which is just smaller than the bush so you can push it out and also have a larger socket on the other side,so the bush will push out.

Just a matter of taking your time pushing the new bush in so it slides in straight.

I think you will be better off replacing your bushes rather than buy another DB mount that may have the same bushes in as the INA ones.

RobDon

Pro Detailer
I spoke to THS about their mounts and they said:

"The internals are different to the OEM mounts, the rubber is larger and presses against the aluminium casing to reduce the movement. The rubber is also of a stiffer compound to further reduce movement but not so far as to start transmitting unwanted vibrations."

The rubber is 30% stiffer than standard but because of the re-engineered shape the engine movement is reduced by over 50% without transmitting any serious engine vibration back into the vehicle unlike polyurethane mounts.

Sounds good to me! :) Sorry for this on your thread Willie - back on topic.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
VF Engineering dogbone works very well.
had a leon in with one of these.. very controlled and only slight vibration was felt - also a track leon in the making

I bet the car will feel great with these new mounts on Willie! It felt VERY 'tight' before. Your going to have to take me for a spin when were both next around. Reminds me I still have to fit my mounts...

Have a look in my thread for ideas on sorting out your thread ;) I have all my different parts documented so you just click on the link to bring up the post.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I spoke to THS about their mounts and they said:

"The internals are different to the OEM mounts, the rubber is larger and presses against the aluminium casing to reduce the movement. The rubber is also of a stiffer compound to further reduce movement but not so far as to start transmitting unwanted vibrations."

The rubber is 30% stiffer than standard but because of the re-engineered shape the engine movement is reduced by over 50% without transmitting any serious engine vibration back into the vehicle unlike polyurethane mounts.

Sounds good to me! :) Sorry for this on your thread Willie - back on topic.
NP, good to hear this.

VF Engineering dogbone works very well.
had a leon in with one of these.. very controlled and only slight vibration was felt - also a track leon in the making
Indy's car?
I like the sound of the VF ones but have 3 LCR DBM's now so will try the other ways first.

I bet the car will feel great with these new mounts on Willie! It felt VERY 'tight' before. Your going to have to take me for a spin when were both next around. Reminds me I still have to fit my mounts...

Have a look in my thread for ideas on sorting out your thread ;) I have all my different parts documented so you just click on the link to bring up the post.

It's going to be alot tighter soon.
I've got a redress kit for the rear ARB, this DBM stuff and going to stiffen up the coilovers ........................................ALOT!!! :)

see here

Last edited:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
No bother bud, just PM me if you have any questions on handling set up.
My RR thread is becoming a bit of a monster, I'll have to try and index the seperate parts.

Que question to find out how to do this
Been there Willie... :lol: make sure you got a couple of hours.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
yup, its taken a while so far but i'm half way through.

I'm not going to be too busy at work over the next few days so should get rattled through it

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
MOT time

Well that's MOT number 4 passed with no significant issues.

OEM CAT with 103,000 miles still doing it's bit.
This is good to know as this will be removed very soon and will be there to refit for MOT time next year, if the car is still going to be a road going car too.

Blueflame 3" de CAT'd DP ordered, as soon as this comes it will be fitted.

I'll get up some before and after exhaust clips. TBH it sounds pretty good just with the Powerflow 2.75" CAT back so should sound very good with the de CAT.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.