Ibiza Timing chain goodwill gesture

Ibiza 123

Hi Guys

I have just had the timing chain go on my Ibiza 1.2 04 due to the common fault with the tensioner that a lot of people on here seem to have had. The garage owner (not dealer) told me he'd heard that as this is a known fault I might get it done under warranty by SEAT as a goodwill gesture.

Anyone heard similar?

My car has done 90K and although it has full service history the last 3 services have not been done at a SEAT dealership, before I go down to my local dealer and start asking for free work I thought it best to get as much info and ammunition if they start fobbing me off.

Does anyone have any experience in getting it done under warranty and if so how did they go about it?

Cheers

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
I could be wrong but I've not heard that before. Your car's done 90k miles and it would be argued by the dealer that it is normal wear and tear. I think the timing belt and tensioner should be changed before 90k.

Is it still in warranty?

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
I could be wrong but I've not heard that before. Your car's done 90k miles and it would be argued by the dealer that it is normal wear and tear. I think the timing belt and tensioner should be changed before 90k.

Is it still in warranty?

It's not a timing belt it is a chain.

This is an acknowledged fault on the 1.2 engine but most suffered it before 90,000. The fact you have a full service history should help, it should not matter that a Seat dealer has not done the service.

The mileage is probably your biggest obstacle, but if it were me I would still try them out, as I have said before, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Just a final thought, I think there was a modified tensioner fitted to later models, not sure if yours will have had this fitted as standard. If it does you probably are out of luck.

Last edited:

Ibiza 123

Thanks Guys, it's not still under warranty.

Am gonna try the dealer but just wanted some kind of evidence that this has been done before so that they dont fob me off or look at me stupid!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.