oil light?

samslow

my wifes 05 55 tdi sport mk4 the oil warning light has just come on (the one below the miles) with the spanner too
now i checked the oil and it needed a slight top up nothing major so done that and the indicator is still flashing
it is at 46500 miles when the warning came on but surely it cant need a service it was only serviced at 41500 miles back in october last year!?
so do i reset the warning (if so how cause i cant see anything in the manual how todo it)

or

does it need a service
and the last service was a big un too

rich3001

Mar 9, 2009
my wifes 05 55 tdi sport mk4 the oil warning light has just come on (the one below the miles) with the spanner too
now i checked the oil and it needed a slight top up nothing major so done that and the indicator is still flashing
it is at 46500 miles when the warning came on but surely it cant need a service it was only serviced at 41500 miles back in october last year!?
so do i reset the warning (if so how cause i cant see anything in the manual how todo it)

or

does it need a service
and the last service was a big un too

I had this after my service the oil started flashing 2 days later and i had only done 600 mile. I just took it to the garage as they didnt reset it when they did the service.

Edit: you could get charged for taking it to the garage as it was back in october

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Reset it yourself

Ignition off completely

press trip reset button and whilst keeping it pressed turn on ignition

When you see - - : - - turn the trip reset to the right.

all will be reset for another 10k

rich3001

Mar 9, 2009
Reset it yourself

Ignition off completely

I just found that out after 2 years of owning my car :whistle:

samslow

Reset it yourself

Ignition off completely

nice one just done it!

still wondering why the light came on after only after 5000 miles and 7 mths though!

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
nice one just done it!

still wondering why the light came on after only after 5000 miles and 7 mths though!

Sounds like it wasn't properly reset at the last service.

Just make yourself a note to have it serviced at around the 51K mark ( or in October 2010 if you get there before 51K comes around)

Last edited:

Slippery_Stu

May 23, 2008
Doesn't the oil light come on for the mid year oil change on the diesels? :think:

I kinda remember clearing my light between services (after changing the oil!)

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Doesn't the oil light come on for the mid year oil change on the diesels? :think:

I kinda remember clearing my light between services (after changing the oil!)

Unless it has changed - Diesels are a 10K oil change.

Many people (myself included) change the oil in between recommendations as well

I do around 12k a year so i change mine every 6k

The problem for many garages is they don't have the kit to reset the light until it comes on so they don't do it.

ellie1664

My orange oil lamp stays on even thought I have oil? I drive a 2000 seat leon cupra. Any ideas?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
My orange oil lamp stays on even thought I have oil? I drive a 2000 seat leon cupra. Any ideas?

We are not talking about the orange oil light - we are talking about the oil service indicator showing up in the milometer.

I hope for your sake that it is a faulty oil pressure sender unit or the wire to it has shorted on something.

The alternative reason is that you have no oil pressure despite having oil - and that will kill the engine very quickly.

ellie1664

Thanks for your advice. Hopefully it is a shortened wire I have driven the car and it drives fine, so as I have not killed the engine yet, and there is no sign of over heatingit won't die yet!!! I think I'll change the oil filter in case that's faulty and giving a low pressure.
Thanks again for your help.

buffalo0

Oil warning

have just purchased a seat ibiza 03 plate second hand and it came with no instruction manual.

Beneath the total mileage indicator the word "Oil" displays when i first turn on the ignition and then a spanner symbol appears.

I have topped up the engine oil but it is still displaying.

Can someone please tell me exactly what this warning means

Many Thanks

buffalo0

I was careful to ensure that I didnt overfill the oil. Will book it for a service soon anyway to check everything is definatly ok. Thank you

to reset it all you need to do is the following...
have the key in ignition but not turned on.
press & hold the milage reset button & keep it pressed while you put the ignition on and for a few seconds after.
then it should go.
mines always coming on. i dont know why it comes on so often, it gets plenty of oil changes.

damon6uk

1.2 nahh cupra
Oct 15, 2010
Kingston upon hull E.Yorkshire
Oil warning

Hi I need some of your expertise again my car come up saying oil the other day so as you do I filled it and did the usual but it still seems to think it's low does anybody know if it takes time for it to recognise it again or do you think the sensor is messed up