Flashing engine warning light

Fleejay

I had my 52 reg 1.4 Sport MkIV Ibiza fully serviced and MOTed about two weeks ago and I started her up today to find the engine warning light flashing and the ride lumpy and with generally lower power.

I was told that they replaced all 4 spark plugs during the service and I understand that this can cause the coil pack to go?

Does that sound about right? I can get hold of a VAG COM system - will that be able to tell me if it is the problem?

If it is, how much should I be paying to get a new coil pack fitted?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: It's done 111k miles by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:

rich3001

Mar 9, 2009
I had my 52 reg 1.4 Sport MkIV Ibiza fully serviced and MOTed about two weeks ago and I started her up today to find the engine warning light flashing and the ride lumpy and with generally lower power.

I was told that they replaced all 4 spark plugs during the service and I understand that this can cause the coil pack to go?

Does that sound about right? I can get hold of a VAG COM system - will that be able to tell me if it is the problem?

If it is, how much should I be paying to get a new coil pack fitted?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: It's done 111k miles by the way.

If its a coil pack the vag com will say mis fire on cylinder 1 or which ever number it is. I pay about £23 for a coil and fit it myself as it only takes 2 mins. unless your with the AA then they come out and fit a new one and chatrge about £50

Fleejay

Thanks for your help Rich, I've got the VAG COM on it now, the codes are:

16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
16686 - Cylinder 2: Misfire Detected
16688 - Cylinder 4: Misfire Detected

I've reset them all, I'll go for a drive around the block and see again what comes up...

EDIT:
16688 - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected

has come back up again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fleejay

One more question: is it safe to drive like this? Or am I going to be damaging the engine?

rich3001

Mar 9, 2009
Thanks for your help Rich, I've got the VAG COM on it now, the codes are:

16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
16686 - Cylinder 2: Misfire Detected
16688 - Cylinder 4: Misfire Detected

I've reset them all, I'll go for a drive around the block and see again what comes up...

EDIT:
16688 - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected

has come back up again.

One more question: is it safe to drive like this? Or am I going to be damaging the engine?

Yep its deffinalty coil packs. I would get it fixed asap. There is alot of info about whats actually happening when the coil packs stop working in this thread

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=270191

Edit: post 14 in the link is a guide on how to change coilpacks

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise